Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Kenwood DNX9140 Installed.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
Can you operate all GPS functions and play DVD's while the truck is moving?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #42
JDrew is on a distinguished road

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03 View Post
Can you operate all GPS functions and play DVD's while the truck is moving?
Yes sir. All you have to do is ground the "parking brake" wire from the headunit.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #43
texastaco7594 is on a distinguished road
texastaco7594's Tacoma Gallery
Very clean install. I'm been planing on adding the same head unit.

Where did you find the dash kit? I seen the smooth finish kits from Scosche, but I have not seen a double din kit with the factory silver dimple texture finish.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #44

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
crutchfield.com has them in silver and black.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #45
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
The 1300 was from a shop in NY called 86th st. photo & video. It was online and probably a little shakey! I also didn't check shipping.
There are a lot of scams with NYC camera shops. They're all run from the same group of people. They use bait and switch tactics, remove standard items from packages, sell gray market stuff, and are just a general pain in the butt. When the law or the BBB catches up with them, they generally just rename the shop and transfer ownership.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #46
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
I went there and talked to hime about that. He said he would get me the factory speakers and tweeters.. Remains to be seen.

Well I got my DNX 9140 in hand. Now I just need time to get it installed. I have had a big pain in the ass with this local company. I talked with the owner today and let him know the reluctance I have in going forward. I was going to go somewhere else and cut my losses now but then I would be cutting the ties with the company that did all the work. The owner said that I can hang with the installer and watch him work and he will try and do what he can to make me happy. So I guess I am gonna have him do it. I am still concerned about having the engine noise. I just find it to be bullshit that he thinks it’s the current radio (dnx8120) that’s causing the noise. So we will see what happens.
Also, the damn installer modified my stock speakers and mounted the new speakers to it. They didn’t even use mounts in the back... So the question is: Should I buy Taco tunes mounts? I don’t want to leave it the way they did it. I look at what some people have had done and I want mine right.
Anything else you guys could tell would be great. Anything I should look out for?
Thanks Again!!

One other thing: according to Kenwood tech support you can not have HD raidio and satellite
at the same time with the 9140. Is there some thing out there that will let you have both?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #47

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxed View Post
I went there and talked to hime about that. He said he would get me the factory speakers and tweeters.. Remains to be seen.

Well I got my DNX 9140 in hand. Now I just need time to get it installed. I have had a big pain in the ass with this local company. I talked with the owner today and let him know the reluctance I have in going forward. I was going to go somewhere else and cut my losses now but then I would be cutting the ties with the company that did all the work. The owner said that I can hang with the installer and watch him work and he will try and do what he can to make me happy. So I guess I am gonna have him do it. I am still concerned about having the engine noise. I just find it to be bullshit that he thinks itís the current radio (dnx8120) thatís causing the noise. So we will see what happens.
Also, the damn installer modified my stock speakers and mounted the new speakers to it. They didnít even use mounts in the back... So the question is: Should I buy Taco tunes mounts? I donít want to leave it the way they did it. I look at what some people have had done and I want mine right.
Anything else you guys could tell would be great. Anything I should look out for?
Thanks Again!!

One other thing: according to Kenwood tech support you can not have HD raidio and satellite
at the same time with the 9140. Is there some thing out there that will let you have both?
I hope your install goes smoothly. As far as XM and HD, I was told that MAYBE later this year, there will be an adapter. There were no promises, more of a "hint" of something may be coming.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #48
boxxed is on a distinguished road
boxxed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrew View Post
I hope your install goes smoothly. As far as XM and HD, I was told that MAYBE later this year, there will be an adapter. There were no promises, more of a "hint" of something may be coming.

If they dont get it right I will be going back to the other company and will ask again. They are the ones that told me about it. Wish I would have paid better attention. If I find out Ill post it.

What about mounts. What did you use? Or is the rest stock?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #49

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
MIne is the Metra.. (I think thats what crutchfield sells. I got it from crutchfield.)
Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #50
skidplate is on a distinguished road
skidplate's Tacoma Gallery
Jdrew did you get the HD unit installed yet?

JDrew, If you use a Metra kit with the 9140 I would be interested to see how it comes out. I have seen pictures in the Kenwoodforum of a 9140 in a Taco. The kit used looks like the Metra and the front display plate sticks out rather far. I am also looking at this unit so I am rather concerned on what it will look like installed. If the unit will be half sticking out into the cab it will look like a hack job, I don't want this to be a $1500 experiment. Thanks....
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #51
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #52

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Very nice.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidplate View Post
JDrew, If you use a Metra kit with the 9140 I would be interested to see how it comes out. I have seen pictures in the Kenwoodforum of a 9140 in a Taco. The kit used looks like the Metra and the front display plate sticks out rather far. I am also looking at this unit so I am rather concerned on what it will look like installed. If the unit will be half sticking out into the cab it will look like a hack job, I don't want this to be a $1500 experiment. Thanks....
Those are my pictures on kenwoodforums.com and I have the metra kit.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #53
jayranger is on a distinguished road

Army: SSG
Name: Jay
jayranger's Tacoma Gallery
JDrew... do you have any reception issues with the antennae mounted there? I just got the 5140 and will be installing it this weekend. Hopefully the factory speakers will be good enough for the time being. Also did you use the Tacotunes double din or another brand? Nice install and write up. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #54

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
I havent had any reception issues with the GPS antenna on the dash. MAKE SURE you do use some of the supplied GPS mount surface and stick that to your dash. The GPS antenna needs some metal to receive properly.

I used the metra kit for my install. ( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209982...r.html?tp=3121 )
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #55
jayranger is on a distinguished road

Army: SSG
Name: Jay
jayranger's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks I ordered the Tacotunes one. I hope it works out ok.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #56
matt z is on a distinguished road
matt z's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed that you are listening to Out here Grindin'...
AWESOME SONG!!!!!

Sweet HU. Im kind of an audiophile, and that is an impressive looking build.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #57

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #58
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful

WOW what a great looking unit...are you afraid of someone stealing your truck to get it? Your unit and the way you mounted it looks totally professional....I envy you....
Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #59
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
I almost bought that unit. It was between the 726e and that. Looks nice.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #60
URBIKESUCKS is on a distinguished road

Army: US ARMY RECRUITER GATEWAY MALL
Name: Ron
URBIKESUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
2k thats crazy

Now I know why people break in and steal these things.
Don't get me wrong they appear to be bad ass, but 2k???? WOW,
you guys must be rich. Enjoy.