Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Is this a good buy?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Is this a good buy?

I would like a cb radio for my truck but I don't want it to be visible all the time like a normal cb radio. I was thinking about going the handheld route.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-HH-Compa...PG2X7GA9GF16QS

If I understand this right I have the handheld radio in the truck and a cord runs from the radio to the antenna on the roof and when I'm not using it I can take the antenna off and just carry the radio alone? Is this a good setup or should I do something different?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for some feedback. I'll rep ya!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
never seen that before but what it is is a hand held that you plug into you cig lighter and run the antenna outside for use and when in not just unplug it and put it away
Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgrednek3006 View Post
never seen that before but what it is is a hand held that you plug into you cig lighter and run the antenna outside for use and when in not just unplug it and put it away
You think it will have good range. 20 miles or so?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind it says only .5 to 4 miles. Is that normal or not a lot?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
We are on the same page, this is what I am looking at. Jolayiv and Silverback07, have this setup.

How did they install this?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
here are the specs on the handheld. http://www.midlandradio.com/On-the-R...cificationsTab
What I like about the corba is it comes with a magnetic antenna so I can just pull the antenna off, unplug the radio and hide the whole setup when I'm not using it.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alot of people don't like the magnet, I'm not certain why.
Really? You have any idea?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #14
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I know the magnets come with a felt on the bottom so I don't see them scratcing, I belive it is a pretty strong magnet so I don't see it moving. Only thing I can think is the fact that it is soo damn high, and would hit everything. I like this

"Originally Posted by SnoBoarder
The antenna shown here is my Wilson Flex 3' CB top loaded antenna mounted on the factory antenna mast:

The SWR is as low as I can get it, 1.5:1, the reception is excellent and I'm getting good transmission range. I'm thinking about getting the 4' Wilson Flex but I'm not sure how garage compatible that will be because I don't want to put too much stress on the factory mast mount every day, but the antenna easily bends 180 degrees.

I think it is kick-ass having the CB mounted up there. It is easy access, out of the way and very easy to use on and off the trail. The mic is on a retractable cable and I can wedge a mic clip between the console and roof liner to secure it if I wanted to."

however I already have some 3' firefly antennas and will work with them.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
In the picture the antenna is smaller than the radio. How long is the antenna?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #17
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I use that Cobra 38. It works well. I dont use that antenna. I have a 3 ft firestick.

If you want to use this radio, you almost have to use an external antenna. With the antenna on the radio inside the cab, I can only get about 1/4 mile range. With the external antenna I can get several miles.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Lichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shedLichen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lichen's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered that Midland hand-held from Amazon yesterday. It shipped today, but the adaptor for the external antenae is on backorder. I did the ashtray mod on my Taco, the hand-held is for the FJ.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
I use that Cobra 38. It works well. I dont use that antenna. I have a 3 ft firestick.

If you want to use this radio, you almost have to use an external antenna. With the antenna on the radio inside the cab, I can only get about 1/4 mile range. With the external antenna I can get several miles.
Ordered mine up a couple of hours ago.

Products Discussed in this Thread