Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Help picking some equipment?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
bradu81 will become famous soon enoughbradu81 will become famous soon enough
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
Help picking some equipment?

Hello all, been looking at finding a sub for my tacoma double cab. My friend gave me an old school rockford fosgate punch 75.2 which got me started on this. I am totally new to car stereos and don't really know which way to go as far as subwoofers, head units, etc...some quick questions...i am currently in the process of building a sub enclosure...thanks for the pictures of mrmarv's work!

Here are the specs on the sub
  • 2-channel "Punch" Amplifier.
  • Output Power (4 ohms) 37.5W x 2.
  • Output Power (2 ohms) 75W x 2.
  • Output Power Bridged(4 ohms) 150W x 1.
  • Distortion Max (4 ohms) 0.05%.
  • Frequency Response (+/- 0.5dB) 20Hz - 20kHz.
  • Signal to Noise (A-weighted) >100dB.
  • Input Sensitivity (+0dB gain overlap) 150mV - 3.0V.
  • Bridgeable.
  • Punch EQ (45 Hz / 20kHz).
  • Crossover 80Hz.
  • Xcard Crossover.

looking for a 10IN sub which one? JL and rockford fosgate both make a slim one...any opinions on them

2 ohm or 4 ohm? why...why not?

Also, head unit...i have a pioneer premier in my wrx but i hate the ipod interface on it. I was leaning towards a sony CDX-GT930UI

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665801140

thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
X2! I always need info on stereo systems...
Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
X3...clueless about stereo equipment for my '09 access cab. I am really disappointed with the stereo in this truck. The one in my '07 was much much better than this one. Any recs between the Alpine or Pioneer? Also front door speakers and a possible amplifier unit which can be hidden? Been researching on crutchfield etc. Not interrsted in winning any loud stereo contests but would like clean clear punchy audio with good tonal reproduction. Also do not care about mp3 / ipod interface.

Any help / insights on this greatly appreciated.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Also compatibility with the steering wheel controls? I may try the speakers first (front door) with stock deck and see how that sounds.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be wanting a 4 ohm sub (or a dual 2 ohm sub). Reason being, that punch amp will not do 2 ohm mono.

Sub wise, you will basically be looking at a price point on which one to buy. Seems most of them (there are several) are decent and your enclosure will make a larger difference in performance than brand.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
for the specs you posted on the amp, i would look for a sub that has a high efficiency rating. a sealed enclosure will lower that rating. and you will need a 4 ohm load for that amp. most any 10 in sub under 5.25 inches will fit, although mrmarv has gotten other sub to fit.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

if you want the best ipod controls, check out alpine. and you'll need a PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info. I don't have the steering wheel controls so thats not an issue.

I will definitely look at the alpines...

Excuse some more newb questions...

the specs on the sub say bridged output at 4ohms=150x1...since i am only running one sub i can bridge this amplifier and put all the power behind it..yes?

in regards to 2, 4, dual 2 ohm subwoofers..what is the difference b/w 4 and 2 duals? some of the subs that i am looking at say dual voice @ 2 ohms...would you want to run one of those or would you purchase a 4 ohm subwoofer?

thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradu81 View Post
the specs on the sub say bridged output at 4ohms=150x1...since i am only running one sub i can bridge this amplifier and put all the power behind it..yes?

in regards to 2, 4, dual 2 ohm subwoofers..what is the difference b/w 4 and 2 duals? some of the subs that i am looking at say dual voice @ 2 ohms...would you want to run one of those or would you purchase a 4 ohm subwoofer?

thanks
yes you can bridge the amp to put all the power behind your sub.

dual voice subs give you different wiring options to get the most power from your amp. in your case that amp is rated like most amps-2 ohm stereo, 4 ohm bridged. since you want to bridge the amp you will need a sub that shows the amp a 4 ohm load. either a single voice coil 4 ohm sub, or a dual voice coil 2 ohm sub wired in parallel. for simplicity you could go with a single 4 ohm voice coil. if for any reason though you upgrade your amp and not the sub, your new amp should put out max power at 4 ohms. hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! i was wondering if this one would work
Rockford fosgate p3SD210. Thanks

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #11
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

If you are set on RF than yes that will work. You will wire the voice coils on that particular sub in series in order to achieve that 4 ohm load.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
dual voice subs give you different wiring options to get the most power from your amp. in your case that amp is rated like most amps-2 ohm stereo, 4 ohm bridged. since you want to bridge the amp you will need a sub that shows the amp a 4 ohm load. either a single voice coil 4 ohm sub, or a dual voice coil 2 ohm sub wired in parallel. for simplicity you could go with a single 4 ohm voice coil. if for any reason though you upgrade your amp and not the sub, your new amp should put out max power at 4 ohms. hope this helps.

You would wire that in SERIES to get that 4 ohm load. Parallel will halve the ohm load. In this case you'd end up with a 1 ohm load, not a good thing for this punch 75.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
Thnks goblue...not set on any particular brand but i found it at my local shop for 90 bucks....anything that you would recommend for under 200?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradu81 View Post
Thnks goblue...not set on any particular brand but i found it at my local shop for 90 bucks....anything that you would recommend for under 200?

Heck, for $90 bucks you can't complain at all. If you like it, get it.

When you buy any speaker it's a personal choice for the most part. I plan on putting a MBQuart shallow-mount sub in mine. No real reason other than to match the components in the doors for continuity. I've had other systems mis-matched and were just fine. I tend to follow the KISS principle of Keep It Simple Stupid.
Go with what you like...stick with a reputable brand...and shop for the best price on it once you decide what you want. Your install is what will make or break your sound quality in your system.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
Jimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimirich's Tacoma Gallery
I put one of these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SW1001S2.html

In one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-UDSW10...xp_grid_pt_0_1

for behind the back seat.
And I'm gonna install soon. It is only a temporary measure until Marv finishes my sub and amp deck.
I may have to take off the bars to install nicely.