1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer Pioneer AVIC-F700BT and iPod Connector

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Horizon, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    Horizon

Horizon [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Tacoma
    I am going to be purchasing a Pioneer Pioneer AVIC-F700BT from my buddy who is not using it. He also has the ipod connector available with it. My question to the community...has anyone run it out to the area where the aux port is? I would like to maybe run it there as a usb connector, then have my iphone usb cable with me and plug it into the spot where I put this cable...is this possible?

Is HD radio worth is or should I just go satellite radio, and if so how much is the addon pack?

2. Jun 4, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    Octane151

Octane151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    I was thinking of doing the same thing in my truck. I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 installed... and once you put an aftermarket radio in, the aux port is pretty much useless. I have the CD-IB100II ipod connector for mine, but have my cable laying out for now until I find somewhere genius to mount it. We could both try this... Maybe cut a slit in the extra plugs to mount the end of the connector from the radio. Then maybe use this extender to connect that plug to your iphone.
    http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable.html

BTW, I also have XM, and I don't see the need right now to switch to HD. Some areas I drive in have poor reception for HD channels. XM sounds great, there are plenty of channels, and I get reception everywhere. I'm not sure about the prices.

3. Jun 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I pulled mine though to the little coin tray on the lower right side of the steering wheel.

4. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    Horizon

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Tacoma
    Sooner that is a good idea. Octane I like the idea but decided it might be too much trouble to mount it, the coin tray sounds perfect! Maybe lay some cushioning material to not have my iphone slide around in there.

On a different note my 09 is satellite ready, can I use that antenna for an aftermarket radio?

Octane where did you mount the nav antenna? I have the post for wiring pictures for speed and something else, does anyone have wiring photos for the steering wheel wires and the backup camera that comes in the 09?

thanks a bunch my freaking 09 radio keeps acting up and I need to do this soon!

5. Jun 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    I'm actually right in the middle of a major sound system upgrade. I spent 3 days of this last weekend doing the upgrade and taking pictures, and I'm only 3/4 of the way done. In saying that, I will have all the pics posted that should answer your questions... such as what wires I tapped into for the PAC device so I can use my steering wheel controls, backup camera wires I tapped into, speed sensor, etc.

Also, I mounted my nav antenna under my dash in the center... it's actually right behind my head unit wedged between the top dash and the vent ducts, and sitting on the little metal sticky pad it came with for better reception. There's about an inch of space in there and the reception is perfect.

Also, for the 09's, there's a stock antenna on top the truck. It's cable is run to the driver's side kick panel. I bought an after market cable that plugs to that location and run to my XM box, so no need to run another antenna for XM... if you decide you want XM.

6. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    Horizon

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Tacoma
    Awesome, I hope you post that link with your pictures in this thread so I can see it! I do want to go with XM if anything as I already have an XM account in my wife's car. Where did you get that cable to run off the XM stock antenna?

7. Jun 8, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    I will be posting a bunch of install pics! I've taken 67 so far, and I'm only 3/4 the way done... crazy! I'm sure I won't post everything, but I'll post the necessities.

Here's the link to the website that I bought my antenna adapter from. They are called TSS-Radio. The cable, in my opinion, is way overpriced, but what can you do at this point?
    http://www.tss-radio.com/lexus-shark-fin-antenna-adapter-p-5647.html

8. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    Horizon

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Tacoma
    Can you upload all your pics to one of the image hosting sites?

9. Jun 10, 2009 at 3:36 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    I'll be doing that, too. I'll post them here with my description of what you're looking at, and then I'll have them on another site with a link. Most likely it will be on TacoTune's website, as he has a photo section there. Rob, from *********, wants me to send him my photos so he could post them there. I don't normally post photos online... do you recommend a particular site? I've used kodakgallery.com in the past.

As of now, I've got my amp board all pre-drilled for wires and mounted in the container. All I really have left to do is wire up the amps, the sub, and mount the sub box. Almost done!

10. Jun 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    Horizon

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Tacoma
    Good deal, I am only doing a headunit update, no speaker/subs for me :p

So that is all I am interested in! Looking forward to the photos.

11. Jun 11, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    That's cool... I just finished the wiring of the amps and crossovers, and I mounted the amps and hooked up the ambient lighting. The only thing left is to mount the sub box and install the sub and I'll be done! I have a few pics in there showing the headunit out, mainly to show which wires to tap into for the PAC device so you can use your steering wheel controls for a Pioneer. There are different PAC devices for different headunits, but I think they all tap into the same factory wiring for controls. The rest of the stereo wiring is pretty standard. If you have any questions on wiring, just let me know. Are you using a wiring harness for your new headunit? I highly recommend it. It's as easy as plugging into the factory harness, and you don't have to cut into any factory wiring.

I should have the pics up hopefully this weekend. I'll reply to this post with the link so you'll know.

12. Jun 11, 2009 at 4:51 AM
    Felixatvtc

Felixatvtc Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 4cyl 5spd
    soon to come...
    That's EXACTLY what i'm looking for. I've got my new deck in the new scoshe replacement panel. two of the wiring harnesses (the standard power and speaker) plugs all set up. The last two pieces of the puzzle for me is the PAC device and putting the right resistors and pins in the right slots. Can't wait for the photos:)

Only other question i have was. Have you, or anyone for that matter, figured out a way to retain the stock AUX jack in the dash? I have a feeling most people are just going to buypass that because it seems like 99% of the planet has an ipod. Being the 1% that does NOT, i think I might consult the wiring diagram and have to figure out which pins do what and rig up something myself.:pout:

13. Jun 11, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    I saw you found White91Formula's post already about the aux port. haha That is a good idea, especially for an aftermarket radio.

Do you already have your PAC device?

14. Jun 11, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    Felixatvtc

Felixatvtc Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 4cyl 5spd
    soon to come...
    Yep, i rocked the search after i posted to your thread. I think i'm going to try the epoxy route.

I DO have the PAC device already. Red and Black already grounded and connected to the stereo plug-ins. The only piece that i have remaining is the resistor and white wire connected to the plug. I think i know what i'm doing. But you know how it is, it's always easier once you've seen a photo.:cool:

15. Jun 11, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Ok, unfortunately, this is the best photo I have (linked as an attachment), but I think I can walk you through my connections. You might want to open the attachment in another window... I haven't figured out the picture post thing yet.

You're looking at the 20 pin plug from the back of the stock radio (has the steering wheel controls and aux jack wires).
    From the picture view, count 6, 7, and 8 pins over from the BOTTOM LEFT corner.
    First, you'll see I've tapped into pin 6 (white wire/red stripe) with an orange wire. DO NOT let me confuse you... I cut this orange wire wire from the PAC device because I needed a wire. I should've used black, but it doesn't matter at this point. Anyway, tap into pin 6 wire with "a" wire and connect it to ground... that's it for that wire.

Second, I tapped into pin 7 (purple wire/white stripe) with the white wire from PAC.

Ok, that stuff was clear in the picture... from here I screwed up the photo because you can't see the resistor connection... it's kindof behind my finger. You can see some of the tape from part of the connection at the ends of my index and middle fingers. Basically, it's pretty simple still... Strip back some more wire on pin 7 (I think I tapped into the white wire already connected to pin 7, but I'm not sure it matters). Connect one end of the resistor here and wrap it and tape it. I soldered mine then taped, but you don't have to. Do the same for pin 8 wire and connect the other end of the resistor.
    That's it! Now program it. The instructions should be able to tell you all that plus programming.
    Hope this helps!

DSC03607.jpg

16. Jun 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    Felixatvtc

Felixatvtc Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 4cyl 5spd
    soon to come...
    Thanks so much for the photo. That's pretty much what i had planned on doing. Everything's in. I was able to get the PAC to flash once so it knew i was putting in an alpine. And now i'm stuck on the programming stage. For some reason it's not recognizing anything once i go to program it. It'll stay illuminated for 5 seconds then turn off, then 7 seconds later it'll do the 3 flashes saying it's the end of the program.
    Any thoughts?

UPDATE
    removed, checked, double checked wiring. When it comes to programming hte PAC unit. I'm stick in the programing spot where you would press/hold a steering wheel button until the light goes out, then returns on to signify the next step. I can SKIP steps by simply using the mode/program button on the pac unit itself. So somewhere down the line i'm not getting the signal from my steering wheel. I'm at a loss right now. Back to stock it is for the time being :(

17. Jun 12, 2009 at 4:19 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Hmmm... Do you have a Pioneer deck? The way I wired everything was specific for Pioneer Units, and will differ from Kenwood and other HU's. What deck do you have? And, is it a flipout screen? There is a different programming mode for an Extended IR Mode for some of those screens. Just curious... Also, if you have a different deck, different resistors may need to be used. Just trying to figure this out... let me know.

UPDATE
    Ok, I re-read your post... I guessed I missed your Alpine statement. What PAC device do you have?

18. Jun 12, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Felixatvtc

Felixatvtc Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 4cyl 5spd
    soon to come...
    I have an alpine deck. (unit 9887 maybe?, it's not here in front of me) The PAC unit i have is the SWI-JACK (for the alpine)

Using the tacoma instructions found on the pac-audio website here:
    http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogra...mSearch=Toyota&Submit2=Search+Vehicles&ID=354

It's wired the exact way that you had described. the 150ohm, the same wires tapped and jumped, etc.

I've set my program to version #8 as it tells you. I've set my radio select dial to #1 as it tells you to in step 7-3.

Here is where it goes to hell. The light will stay on for 5 seconds and go off. Or if i push the program button the light will flash (signifying i've skipped a command) and then stay on for 5 seconds and then turn off. Then after 7 seconds it'll flash the 3 times saying the programming is complete and then the 8 flashes saying which program version i was setting and then off for good.

from the FAQ and from that instructions it's telling me
    " Release and the LED should come back on. If it does not please double check all connections and verify for correct version programming."

I've also tried this with and without the PAC plugged into the Alpine deck itself. No luck. It seems like i'm not getting any signal from my steering wheel buttons. upon reattaching my factory deck. i have regained all use of said buttons. when i dig into it again tonight i'm going to verify my grounds again, as that's the only thing that i thikn could be causing this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

19. Jun 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    I don't know your order of operations, but this programming bit is very time sensitive. It sounds like this could be the cause of your issue?? I'm not positive, but it could be. Your PAC device is doing what it's supposed to according to your description. I'm not sure it's a grounding problem because you would most likely get no light at all on your PAC device.

Try this (Sorry some of this is redundant to the PAC instructions, but this is EXACTLY what I did):
    -Prepare for the install by holding the PAC unit in your right hand with a finger on the program button. Put your left hand fingers on the steering wheel buttons. Now turn the key to ACC with your toes (j/k), or with whichever hand and return to the ready position.
    -Once you turn the ACC on, you should get 8 blinks noting you are in version 8 and ready for programming (make sure it's eight).
    -Now get ready to program. Press the Program button in your right hand until the LED comes on... then release. At this point, you have 5 seconds to start programming your steering wheel buttons, or it'll shut down the programming operation.
    -With the LED on, press the "Volume Up" on the steering wheel and keep it held down... you should see the light turn off... keep it down after the light goes off and count one second... then release. The light should come back on, and you now have 5 seconds to program the second button, which will be "Volume Down."
    -At step two now, with the light on still on the PAC device, press the "Volume Down" button and keep it held down. Once the light goes out, count one second and then release... the light should come back on.
    -SKIP some commands now... you will be skipping THREE through SIX and hitting the program button four times, pausing in between hits to watch the light flash rapidly and then go steady. Example, hit program button once... light flashes, then steady... you've skipped 3... do again for 4, 5, and 6. You've now skipped 3 through 6... After the last flashing light, you'll have your steady light again, and are ready for the next step.
    -Now press the "Track Up" button, and again, keep it held down till the light goes out, count for one second more, and release... the light should come back on.
    -Next, press the "Track Down" button. Same thing... hold down till light's out... count to one, release... light should come back on.
    -SKIP AGAIN.... you're now on NINE and need to get to ELEVEN. Hit the program button twice, pausing to see the light flash quickly. You've now skipped 9 & 10.
    -Lastly, hit the "Mode" button (I think it's Mode on the steering wheel, right?). Anyway, same thing, hold for lights out, count one more second, release. Light should come back on.
    That's it! Now just sit and wait... after the seven seconds of sitting there not pushing anything, the LED will flash 3 times saying it's done programming and 8 times for the version number. If by any chance you pause too long in between programming buttons and it starts its shutdown sequence, just wait for it to finish, and start over by pressing the program button.

Your issues happened to me while I waited a little bit in between programming to see what was the next number. I think all Tacomas have the same steering wheel controls... I wrote mine down on paper and stuck it to my steering wheel. This is what I wrote to follow:

1) Volume Up
    2) Volume Down
    3) SKIP
    4) SKIP
    5) SKIP
    6) SKIP
    7) Track Up
    8) Track Down
    9) SKIP
    10) SKIP
    11) Band/Program

I hope this fixes you... again, this is EXACTLY what I did, and mine works flawlessly.

20. Jun 12, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    Felixatvtc

Felixatvtc Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 4cyl 5spd
    soon to come...
    Everything you wrote makes perfect sense to me. And was what i was doing. The issue i've been having was the light will not stay on at all during the programming phase. Perhaps i need to hold the program button longer to get it into said mode:confused:
    Will test it out when i get home and update with results
    thanks again for all of your help

Products Discussed in

To Top