Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Access Cab - Custom box?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
Access Cab - Sub Set up?

Ok here's the deal...I've been looking at all the different custom boxes that are being made that keep passenger room intact in the back seat while still providing bass.

I've had my truck almost 2 years and maybe had 2 people ride back there, so is there any harm in just flipping down one of the seats, mounting a box on it, and going about my business?

Or hell, could I just take the seat out and set the box on top of the storage bin so long as I mount it firmly?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
yep....put a huge box back there...it's your truck. If you can sacrifice the space for a sub box, I'd say go for it. If you make it quick-disconnect, even better.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all12Btaco is a name known to all

Army: Currently serving
Name: Danny
12Btaco's Tacoma Gallery
My bass box takes the entire rear area of my truck....also I added the quick connects so its easy to just pop it out if someone needs to be in the back.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

Update:

So I went to a local car stereo place and here is what they recommended:

10" Boston Accoustic Sub (G110-4) http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065G110...-4.html?tp=111

in a ProBox enclosure...anyone had any experience with these types of boxes? I'm new to the synthetic style. I'm just going to flip my seat down and velcro it to the floor. Its a pretty heavy box as is.

http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/...TB/index.shtml

A Boston Acoustics 2 channel amp (GT-275) for the Sub. Looks like 300 RMS if you it in single changel mode.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065GT27...75.html?tp=115

I forget the model numbers for the door speakers, but they were about 140 for the front and rear...Boston Accoustics 3 ways.

All together it was like 650 for installation and tax.

One question I had was do I need an Amp for my door speakers? I already have an aftermarket head unit. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
The Reel Sportsman

any experts want to chime in?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

It seems your local shop sells Boston Accoustic.

Those should be fine IMO. Whether or not you need an amp depends on your listening habits. If you want it loud and clear...then yes, get an amp to power your mid/highs. You'll have to keep your subs turned way down if you don't.
But, this is only if you are cranking it up all the time. If you just roll around with it at low to moderate levels, you might get away with just the HU powering the doors. dunno...just depends on your listening habits. Stereos are very personal in nature.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
The Reel Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
It seems your local shop sells Boston Accoustic.

Those should be fine IMO. Whether or not you need an amp depends on your listening habits. If you want it loud and clear...then yes, get an amp to power your mid/highs. You'll have to keep your subs turned way down if you don't.
But, this is only if you are cranking it up all the time. If you just roll around with it at low to moderate levels, you might get away with just the HU powering the doors. dunno...just depends on your listening habits. Stereos are very personal in nature.

Do I need to get a second amp or should I just up the power for one amp? I'm guessing a 4 channel amp or maybe 5?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #8

You can use the HU for powering the rear speakers no problem. You could also use the one amp to power the doors AND subs, IF that amp is tri-mode or mixed mono capable and you keep your ohm loads at 4. Only thing you'd have to do is have a passive type crossover with this set up.

With a 4 channel, it's just set up a bit different and crossed over electronically. I'd opt for the 4 channel myself to keep things easy.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
The Reel Sportsman

awesome...thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaYAK View Post
I've had my truck almost 2 years and maybe had 2 people ride back there, so is there any harm in just flipping down one of the seats, mounting a box on it, and going about my business?
I know I'm late but I wanted to add that I previously owned a 1st gen Tundra access cab and I kept one of the rear seats folded up all the time and placed a W7 JL Audio factory boxed sub in there. I turned my truck into a 3 seater, 2 up front, one in the back and had no issues. For the rare times I had to get more people inside, I simply disconnected the speaker wire from the box and removed it. I did not mind sacrificing the space for the bass that I wanted...

Rob