Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Scosche kit bounces!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
blacksandtaco is on a distinguished road

blacksandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Scosche kit bounces!

I checked up and down in the other dash kit threads and didn't see anything specific to this. For all you Scosche kit owners, please weigh in on this issue and let me know what you think.

I have a DNX7140 installed and used the Scosche kit because I like the look much better than the Metra. Heres the problem, when I hit noticeable bumps in the road, the entire dash kit rattles up and down. Not the trim piece, the entire thing. I have everything mounted securely, I triple checked because I'm really anal about my installs. I noticed that there is maybe an 1/8 inch gap between the dash kit and the AC/Heater control panel and I know this gap didn't exsist with the factory radio. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the plastic side brackets not being able to support the weight or if I might have just got a bad kit. Do you notice any play on your kits?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Can the Scosche peice be reinforced with Fiberglass to add strength? Shouldnt be to hard to do?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Samsonite...I was way off!
jmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud of

jmasterj's Tacoma Gallery
I have a DNX5120 and it is fine. Did you put the orange clips in the scosche kit from the factory radio?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Chris just volunteered to make then for 20 bucks shipped.
If someone covers shipping, sends me their unit, and gives a couple bucks, I'll fiberglass reinforce it for them.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasterj View Post
I have a DNX5120 and it is fine. Did you put the orange clips in the scosche kit from the factory radio?
I did use the orange clips. The head unit doesn't squeak, I just notice it moving up and down very slightly when hitting bumps. Its not hugely noticeable but bothersome nonetheless. I'm not sure if fiberglass would help. I'm going to take the AC panel off and observe a little more closely. I wonder if the open, plastic holes on the brackets, where you mount the kit to the toyota has something to do with it. Almost seems like those holes should be closed nand smaller in diameter. I might try to add rubber gromet rings or rubber washers to it somehow. I have both kits because I'm the type of person that needs to try all options before I can make my decision and I absolutely hate the black trim piece on the Metra kit. Has anyone with the Metra kit painted the black trim bezel to match the rest of the kit? Anyone know if there are any other options besides Metra or Scosche?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
sibanez is on a distinguished road
sibanez's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sibanez
To be honest, the Metra kit isn't exactly sturdy either. I just did an install with a Pioneer BT7900 and the little plastic brackets that replace the sturdy metal ones that hold the HU assembly in the dash are a joke I actually ran some SecondSkin dampener on the back of the Metra kit in a few places to tighten up the gaps and hopefully absorb any vibrations. We'll see, but so far I'm not impressed with the kit. At least the color/texture is close.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
i used the factory metal brackets with my scosche kit as i thought the plastic peices looked pretty flimsy. only problem i have is the little finishing piece wont fit around the HU but thats not b/c of the brackets
Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 08 with a single DIN Scosche kit and it works fine. Nice tight fit. No rattles or squeeks.

Did you put on the factory mounting clips from the OEM radio? How about the 4 bolts behind the AC contorls? Did you put them back in?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #12

Yeah I have all clips, screws, bolts etc in and tight. I used the metal brackets at first but couldn't get the trim piece on either and didn't like the open look around the face of the unit, so put the plastic ones back on.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
sibanez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I'm guessing that Pioneer is a single DIN? The double din installation for the Metra kits use the stock metal brackets.

EDIT: Looks like you have a Gen1...that would explain it...
Yes, it is a single DIN Pioneer, but the install was in my 'new' 2005 Tacoma. The install would have definitely been better with a double din unit. I had a Metra kit in my 2002 Tacoma with a singl DIN stereo and it was a much better fit.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #14

Sibanez - how's the secondskin working. Did that stiffen things up any?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
I have had two scosche dash kits(single D and DD) the pioneer head unit i put in first was in single Din and it was a nice and tight fit. Now that i have an Alpine DD screen, it makes it heavy enough to bounce on some larger bumps. I feel like a JACK-A$$ though cause i lost the orange/yellow tabs, and the Toyota parts dept. still has yet to call me on them coming in(2 months)
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #16

I have the clips in and it still bounces a bit. AAAAHHHHHH!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #17
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedruM29 View Post
I feel like a JACK-A$$ though cause i lost the orange/yellow tabs, and the Toyota parts dept. still has yet to call me on them coming in(2 months)
I think it's time to fiond a new parts department to deal with......
Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #18
sibanez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandtaco View Post
Sibanez - how's the secondskin working. Did that stiffen things up any?
I'm working on a how-to for my complete audio review and will post more detail, but I am very happy with the SecondSkin so far. It's been easy to work with and I can definitely feel and hear the difference in the doors.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #19
mneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nice

mneuls's Tacoma Gallery
metra kit looks way better!! it even has the stock texture.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #20

Sibanez - how bout the secondskin behind the metra kit? Is it more stable now?