1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed liner on box

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rod11, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Jun 11, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    rod11

rod11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    I've got a sub box with amp rack from Mr. Marv that should be arriving today. I read in another thread about using Duplicolor bed liner to finish it. From what I understand I need to rough the box, spray on an oil-based primer, then lightly spray on several coats of the bed liner. Is that it for the process?

Also, the thread states that it takes 7 days to fully cure. Do I really have to wait 7 days before installing the box?

Here is the thread I'm referencing...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/29240-my-new-project.html

2. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Yes, you will need to rough it up a bit for best contact. MDF is pretty slick. You must also be sure to clean it up from all the dust.

You will want to do a couple of thinner coats versus a few thick coats. You do not have to wait 7 days for it to fully cure, but you are risking having some of it rub off on your hands, the interior of your truck and having the small of it in your truck.

3. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    put it out in the sun for a couple of days to dry it. Should be good to go. And as Sooner pointed out...multiple thin coats.

4. Jun 11, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    give the MDF a good sanding too, the paint adheres better during the base coat.

5. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Well guys I had no idea what I was doing but I just got some sand paper and went at it. Sprayed on some primer and then a few coats of the bed liner. I'll put on a few more coats tomorrow and let it sit in the sun all day. Right now it just looks and feels like I spray painted it black. Hopefully it will harden up over night. The thing about sanding that MDF is that it's so soft it's hard to "rough up." It just wants to stay smooth. I basically just went over it until I could see lines in the wood from the sand paper.

Thanks for all of the input. I'll post some pictures once it's all dry.

6. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    A little late for extra advice, but you just need some really rough grit sand paper to put some scratches in the surface. And make sure that you take a slightly damp rag across the surface to pick up as much dust as possible.

7. Jun 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I recently did this to an amp board I made and attached to a box that was already lined with "Line-X" brand liner. The "plasti-kote" canned bedliner didn't match well or have the same texture.

So I added a couple coats of rubberized undercoating to give it a thicker look. Let that dry for about a day. And then did about 3 coats of the canned bedliner. I then finished it up with an enamel black spray paint to give it a perfect match.

Here are the 2 products I used...
    SubBox022_bfe0a843afc0d6bee420b22c8503853d9bab35c9.jpg

...and finished look. I also did the same process to the plastic storage bins. Came out really nice.
    SubBox009_52814c74df70dc196ae7c5d8b540e6be457895a1.jpg

SubBoxFullShot_40249873742e35a09e01ffa36ee4fc1127f7baa4.jpg

8. Jun 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    rod11

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    Looks good ilovetacos. Hopefully mine will look at least half as nice! Just gave it another coat for the night. It will have all night and all day tomorrow to dry. I'd love to put it in the truck tomorrow evening, but not sure if that paint smell will be gone by then.

Products Discussed in

To Top