Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

09 Double Cab Complete Audio Makeover

Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #41
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery

Nice freaking job.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #42
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
very nice install!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #44
Octane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud of

Navy: X Navy Sub Diver
Octane151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese Loco View Post
how much did that all cost?
With all the speakers (including the sub), the wiring, the sub box and amp board, speaker mounts, fatmat, and all the connectors and ties... was around $1500.
I got the amps off of eBay with 3 year warranty, which saved hundreds... paid about $700 for both.
My Pioneer HU, the iPod adapter, XM adapter, bluetooth, and backup camera... ran about $2100.

Total, I paid around $4300... saved probably a thousand bucks in install costs, and I know it was done right.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #45
RussBow6 is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Russ
RussBow6's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RussBow6
wow man awesome. i'm gonna keep staring at this thread till i get that in my truck ha

where'd you get the amp mounting board from? i'm not seeing it on tacotunes.com... maybe i gotta email em?

did you install the parking brake wire from the hu? if you dont install it can you change destinations for the nav on the fly?

my 2010 is listed as sat radio capable so i'll need this cable you used right? http://www.tss-radio.com/lexus-and-s...er-p-5646.html

thanks boss and well done again!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #46
FirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to allFirsTaco is a name known to all

Army: Military Police various units
Name: Jeff
FirsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do you retain th euse of the tops of the rear seats or not? I didnt see them reinstalled.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #47
Octane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBow6 View Post
wow man awesome. i'm gonna keep staring at this thread till i get that in my truck ha

where'd you get the amp mounting board from? i'm not seeing it on tacotunes.com... maybe i gotta email em?

did you install the parking brake wire from the hu? if you dont install it can you change destinations for the nav on the fly?

my 2010 is listed as sat radio capable so i'll need this cable you used right? http://www.tss-radio.com/lexus-and-s...er-p-5646.html

thanks boss and well done again!
Stare REALLY hard! ha

Rob at TacoTunes makes the normal amp mounting boards on package orders I believe, but he threw in the "TACOMA" cutout when I agreed to take pictures of my install. I'm not sure if he would do that normally... you would just have to email him. BTW, Be patient on the response. =)

I grounded my parking brake wire along with another wire that I added to one of the adapters on the back of the HU. I also ran the iso file that bypasses the motion sensor. I can do anything on the fly now. The links here explain how to do it... this is for Pioneer AVIC Z1 and Z2 units...
http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8783
http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html#newbypass

Yes, that is the same cable I ran from my XM unit to the stock XM antenna connector in the truck.

Thanks for the props!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirsTaco View Post
Do you retain th euse of the tops of the rear seats or not? I didnt see them reinstalled.
Yes... I left them off for the pictures for the best view. They bolt right back on and close fine. I did take the plastic backing off of the back of the driver's side back seat... this is because the sub would hit it. No big deal though... they're not important to me, so I didn't mind taking it off. It's never seen.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #50

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane151 View Post
Stare REALLY hard! ha

Rob at TacoTunes makes the normal amp mounting boards on package orders I believe, but he threw in the "TACOMA" cutout when I agreed to take pictures of my install. I'm not sure if he would do that normally... you would just have to email him. BTW, Be patient on the response. =)

I grounded my parking brake wire along with another wire that I added to one of the adapters on the back of the HU. I also ran the iso file that bypasses the motion sensor. I can do anything on the fly now. The links here explain how to do it... this is for Pioneer AVIC Z1 and Z2 units...
http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8783
http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html#newbypass

Yes, that is the same cable I ran from my XM unit to the stock XM antenna connector in the truck.

Thanks for the props!

still staring haha

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC...IC-Z110BT.html

thats still considered z1 kinda right? i wonder if that wire and the xmnav are compatible with the new avic. guess i'll hafta make a call to pioneer tomorrow. too bad places arent open late night... i get all my work done after midnight
Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke View Post
Octane, your setup is over the top! Impressive!!! Great quality work! Thanks for sharing your install.
No problem! Thanks for the response!

Quote:
still staring haha

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC...IC-Z110BT.html

thats still considered z1 kinda right? i wonder if that wire and the xmnav are compatible with the new avic. guess i'll hafta make a call to pioneer tomorrow. too bad places arent open late night... i get all my work done after midnight
Yeah, the Z110BT is the latest of the Z1 to Z3 types. It's pretty badass because it's got a faster interface, bluetooth built-in instead of needing an adapter, and an iPod interface built-in as well. All you need is the adapter cable to connect your iPod. You can customize the home screen as well... pretty cool. After a few years of owning my Z2, I'll most likely upgrade to this model or the next coming year's model.

I think the xmnav is compatible... although this unit is compatible with MSN direct, which seems better than xm navtraffic, IMO, because it does so much more. Pioneer says this about it..........

"The AVIC-Z110BT is compatible with the optional ND-MDT10 MSN Direct tuner (item number 130NDMDT10) MSN Direct allows you to see updated traffic conditions, local and world weather, local gas prices (along with when they were updated), theater locations and movie times, local events, news headlines, and stock quotes. When the navigation system receives updated traffic information, it will overlay the traffic information on your map and also display detailed text information when available. The navigation system will take into account the traffic information and try to avoid traffic jams and suggest better routes. This service is available for a fee through the MSN Direct data subscription service."
Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #52

Navy:
Quote:
No problem! Thanks for the response!
Yeah, the Z110BT is the latest of the Z1 to Z3 types. It's pretty badass because it's got a faster interface, bluetooth built-in instead of needing an adapter, and an iPod interface built-in as well. All you need is the adapter cable to connect your iPod. You can customize the home screen as well... pretty cool. After a few years of owning my Z2, I'll most likely upgrade to this model or the next coming year's model.

I think the xmnav is compatible... although this unit is compatible with MSN direct, which seems better than xm navtraffic, IMO, because it does so much more. Pioneer says this about it..........

"The AVIC-Z110BT is compatible with the optional ND-MDT10 MSN Direct tuner (item number 130NDMDT10) MSN Direct allows you to see updated traffic conditions, local and world weather, local gas prices (along with when they were updated), theater locations and movie times, local events, news headlines, and stock quotes. When the navigation system receives updated traffic information, it will overlay the traffic information on your map and also display detailed text information when available. The navigation system will take into account the traffic information and try to avoid traffic jams and suggest better routes. This service is available for a fee through the MSN Direct data subscription service."
yes sir. i'm looking at the z110bt, mdt10, pac swi-ps, iu50v for the ipod, and p920xm for the xm. i really need verizon to get the iphone too so i can hook up the phone/ipod through the system... hopefully this summer.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #53

Quote:
yes sir. i'm looking at the z110bt, mdt10, pac swi-ps, iu50v for the ipod, and p920xm for the xm. i really need verizon to get the iphone too so i can hook up the phone/ipod through the system... hopefully this summer.
I don't know if Verizon will get the iPhone for a while. Verizon uses GSM networks, while most other carriers (including AT&T) use CDMA networks, which is what the iPhone will work on. I guess it will be thought about when Apple and AT&T break their contracts.

The setup you're looking at looks sweet... I'll probably switch out my Z2 in a year or two for the z110bt, unless they come out with something even better.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #54
jwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of light

Name: JW
jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Mother of Christi!!!...... That is beautiful work! Do you do this as a profession?

CLICK SAVED!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #55
rpiatt is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
rpiatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know if Verizon will get the iPhone for a while. Verizon uses GSM networks, while most other carriers (including AT&T) use CDMA networks, which is what the iPhone will work on.
First, great system. Astonishingly well done. Clean. Just all around nice job.

Second, you actually have the above reversed. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, the rest of the providers (AT&T, T-mobile being the big ones) are on GSM. The iPhone is a GSM phone for now.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #56

Navy:
theres rumors an iphone will come to verizon this summer... but its only cyberspace rumors.

i was hoping jobs would hint at it during the last apple day but nope...

i dont think i can wait. i might pop in the apple store this week and line me and my brother up with a couple iphones w a family plan
Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #57
rpiatt is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
rpiatt's Tacoma Gallery
Except on Verizon your iPhone will be CRAZY limited in functionality (standard VZW operating procedure). It's all about the network. not the phone experience.

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled thread.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiatt View Post
First, great system. Astonishingly well done. Clean. Just all around nice job.

Second, you actually have the above reversed. Sprint and Verizon are CDMA, the rest of the providers (AT&T, T-mobile being the big ones) are on GSM. The iPhone is a GSM phone for now.
Thanks for the props! And, yes, you are correct about me getting GSM and CDMA backwards! I should've proof read before submitting. It only makes sense considering my wife couldn't use her Verizon phone (CDMA) when we were in Germany this year, but I could use my iPhone (GSM = Global System for Mobile communications.) Thanks for the correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan View Post
Mother of Christi!!!...... That is beautiful work! Do you do this as a profession?

CLICK SAVED!!
Thanks!! And, no, I don't do this for a living... I work at Navy SpecWar. I don't know that I could do this for a living. It took me a week to do mine... maybe because it was my first "major" install, or because every wire, every setting, and every detail had to be perfect... either one. I think an audio shop would've freaked and fired me if I took a week to install someone's system! They usually do it in a day or two... and it shows. Nothing seems to be neat about it. Anyway, thanks again!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #59
T0y0ta05 is on a distinguished road

T0y0ta05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With all the speakers (including the sub), the wiring, the sub box and amp board, speaker mounts, fatmat, and all the connectors and ties... was around $1500.
I got the amps off of eBay with 3 year warranty, which saved hundreds... paid about $700 for both.
My Pioneer HU, the iPod adapter, XM adapter, bluetooth, and backup camera... ran about $2100.

Total, I paid around $4300... saved probably a thousand bucks in install costs, and I know it was done right.

A very professional looking job and fantasitic write up.
As others have stated, I can really appreciate the customization and time consuming effort that went into your build, but for me the cost is prohibited even for a DIY. Although, if money was no object and you were interested I'd higher you in a heartbeat to do my own truck
Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #60
T0y0ta05 is on a distinguished road

T0y0ta05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know if Verizon will get the iPhone for a while. Verizon uses GSM networks, while most other carriers (including AT&T) use CDMA networks, which is what the iPhone will work on. I guess it will be thought about when Apple and AT&T break their contracts.

The setup you're looking at looks sweet... I'll probably switch out my Z2 in a year or two for the z110bt, unless they come out with something even better.

Actually, you have it backwards. Verizon currently uses CDMA and ATT uses GSM.

I'm an idiot and should have read all the posts as others have stated this already.