LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

09 Double Cab Complete Audio Makeover

Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #121
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
i know crutchfield sells water baffles.
i don't think tacotunes sells those, but i'mm not sure. never ordered from them. i know must guys don't run an enclosed baffle like that because it acts as a speaker enclosure.
I plan to use the Ensolite to cover the inside of the speaker leaving the bottom open. That will allow proper air movement while also protecting the speaker from any water that makes it into the area. Just to let folks know how much water can get in there... It's been a mild rainy day and while driving home I cracked both driver side windows to get a little air flow. I wasn't thinking anything of it until I pulled off the rear drivers side door panel and peeled the plastic away. Damn it was wet inside there. I towel dried it and will wait until tomorrow before I install RAAMat inside the door. It's tool late to worry about the front doors, I'll catch those tomorrow. I did remove the rear speakers and they were wet all around the speaker cover. This drove home the fact that the speakers need to be protected.

So my point is, the speakers could get wet if not protected and I just don't see many posts of folks replacing speakers mentioning protection against water.

The speakers I have are mostly plastic and rubber however the voice coil appears to be held in place by a fabric material which could wick water into the coils, not a good thing. I guess it could be waterproof but I'm not taking that chance. I'll take a photo and post it when I get to that point unless someone talks me out of it.

-Joe
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #122
ILikeTacos is on a distinguished road
ILikeTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicp View Post
I know this is a little off-topic but, does anyone have any experience "hot-wiring" a pioneer Navi head unit to allow watching DVD's while moving? I tried fooling the speed sensor and parking break interlock but the deck still knows I'm moving. I am assuming its via the GPS.. Any ideas?
What head unit do you have? You can try www.avic411.com
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #123
Octane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud of

Navy: X Navy Sub Diver
Octane151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicp View Post
I know this is a little off-topic but, does anyone have any experience "hot-wiring" a pioneer Navi head unit to allow watching DVD's while moving? I tried fooling the speed sensor and parking break interlock but the deck still knows I'm moving. I am assuming its via the GPS.. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacos View Post
What head unit do you have? You can try www.avic411.com
Yes, this is the site I got my bypass from... for my AVIC-Z2, the exact page is here... AVIC Bypass instructions. My unit is bypassed completely following these directions.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #124
Bayou2coma is on a distinguished road

Bayou2coma's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man looks nice! I'm trying to do a system in mine right now and I can't remove the rear door panel. I can't get the window dash button to come off... and the hole after you take off the handle off, is way to small for me to reach in and unplug it. How did you do it?

Every single write up and every site that I have seen has avoided showing how to do this.

I thought for sure that Tacotunes would've since they sell the rear speakers. But only show how to install the front door speakers...

Please Help Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #125
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
Octane 151- Any issues with the PDX amps being installed vertically? I recently found some forms that Alpine will not warranty them if installed any other way than flat/horizontal. I was going to use these similar to you as I don't like the underseat floor option, but finding this out has caused me to give these amps a second thought.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #126
Octane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud ofOctane151 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou2coma View Post
Hey man looks nice! I'm trying to do a system in mine right now and I can't remove the rear door panel. I can't get the window dash button to come off... and the hole after you take off the handle off, is way to small for me to reach in and unplug it. How did you do it?

Every single write up and every site that I have seen has avoided showing how to do this.

I thought for sure that Tacotunes would've since they sell the rear speakers. But only show how to install the front door speakers...

Please Help Thanks
If I remember correctly, the first time I took the panel off... I took out both screws and popped the whole panel off. Then, while holding it up with one hand, I reached behind it and disconnected the window controller connector. Honestly though, I think you can just "carefully" pop the whole plastic piece for the window controller button up with a butter knife or something similar. The wiring and connector should come up and out, and you can disconnect/reconnect your wires for the controller that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glandnut View Post
Octane 151- Any issues with the PDX amps being installed vertically? I recently found some forms that Alpine will not warranty them if installed any other way than flat/horizontal. I was going to use these similar to you as I don't like the underseat floor option, but finding this out has caused me to give these amps a second thought.
I have had no problems thus far. They are performing the same as the day I put them in, and have been in below freezing temps and 100 degree heat They've been in a year now, and are still kicking much ass. I would think they should be fine this way as many amps are mounted vertically... especially with today's technology. What a nuisance that would be! I bought a Square Trade warranty on them anyway just in case something happened to them in 3 years.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #127
ILikeTacos is on a distinguished road
ILikeTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Amp Set Up

Hey Octane151, where did you get the CD for the 50hz & 1000hz? Also, could you give me that formula you have for setting up the amps? Thanks for your help and great write up.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #128
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane151 View Post
I bought my truck 3 months ago with 7 miles on it. It's the 2009, Silver, 4x4, Double Cab, Long Bed, Hood Scoop, TRD, Tow Package... I couldn't wait to rip out the sound system and put in something awesome. Well, my week long project is finally complete! Thanks to TacoTunes for some great ideas and great products supplied. The setup includes a long list of items... some I purchased on my own, such as headunit, bluetooth, XM, iPod connector, Amps, FatMat... and the rest I purchased from TacoTunes. I was pleasantly surprised to see such great quality and great looking items that I received.

Here is the list of everything installed:
Pioneer AVIC-Z2 HDD Navigation Media Center
Pioneer GEX-P10XM Receiver w/ Nav Traffic
Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod adapter
Pioneer ND-BT1 Bluetooth adapter
Boyo RearView License Plate Camera
PAC SWI-PS steering wheel control unit
Image Dynamics XS65 Components (front doors)
Image Dynamics CTX65 Coaxials (rear doors)
Image Dynamics IDQ D4v3 (sub)
Alpine PDX-4.100
Alpine PDX-1.600
Sub Box with polyfill
Amp Mounting Board ("Tacoma" cutout with blue plexiglass and LED lighting)
Custom Amp Kit (includes power, speaker, RCA wires/fuse block/power distro block/screws, wire connectors, tie wraps)
Custom Speaker mounts
Fat Mat sound dampener

The pictures are pretty much in sequential order so you can see the process of the install. I've also included pics of all the pieces of installed equipment so you can see what I used. Here it goes:

Stock storage bins... those came out with a quickness.

Bare back after everything was pulled.

Took my Dremmel, cut the back out of the driver's side compartment as so to make room for the sub box.

The front looks like this after the two side cuts... then had to cut the top off.

Looks like this...

Took the wirebrush attachment and cleaned up the cut plastic for a smoother edge.

This is it after my local Line-X guy sprayed it. He said the coating stuck right to the plastic with a little sanding and without any primer.

The other compartment... final look. Note, I had to cutout the little tray. There are instructions on how to do this on TacoTunes.com

Final product.

Here's all the stuff going in.

Massive power wire attached to battery!! 20 feet of it... felt like 20 lbs!

Main power wire is red, blue power wire 4 gauge from the distro block to amps, 4 gauge brown ground wire for amps, and many feet of tweeter wire, speaker wires, and sub wire.

RCA's from HU to amps, fuse block w/ custom engine compartment mount, distro power block, custom speaker mounts for the doors.

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 Hard Drive Navigation & Media Center, iPod Adapter, and Boyo Backup Cam. Didn't have the boxes for my XM and Bluetooth.

Image Dynamics XS65 Components

Image Dynamics XS65 Components

Image Dynamics CTX65 Coaxials

Image Dynamics CTX65 Coaxials

Alpine amps

FatMat... great stuff. Got off Ebay... 50 sq ft for $80 shipped.

Amp Mounting board and blue plexiglass

Image Dynamics IDQ D4v3

Image Dynamics IDQ D4v3

TacoTunes custom sub box.

Install started with prying out the temp controls. Again, these instructions can be found on TacoTunes.com. I would recommend using a butter knife. My SOG knife was a bit sharp and can slice right through plastic.

Disconnected the temp controls.

Take out four bolts shown here... then pull head unit straight out.

After Wiring the HU, I wired up the PAC steering wheel control unit as shown.

Here are the wires and connector that I tapped into for connections. Some good install and troubleshooting instructions are on this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/39681-pioneer-pioneer-avic-f700bt-ipod-connector.html

My RCA hookups and amp remote wire connections.

Here is where I tapped into for the Reverse Sensor Wire... It's on this connector... the red wire. This is behind the driver side kick panel.

Behind the coin tray, left of the steering wheel... there's your fuse box. I tapped into the black connector here for the Speed Sensor Wire.

Here's my XM unit. It's mounted to the computer bracket behind the glove box and above the right side kick panel. I used tie wraps. Kindof ghetto, but it worked nicely! Also shown is the TSS-Radio XM antenna wire that connects to the factory antenna... found here: http://www.tss-radio.com/lexus-shark...er-p-5647.html

Further back view.

Here is the factory XM antenna connector... behind driver's side kick panel.

Radios... changing of the guard.

Here's the HU installed... I created a custom background in photoshop.

Mounted my bluetooth mic here. No one ever sees it there.

Mounted the bluetooth adapter here, under the cup holder in the center console.

iPod adapter went on the other side.

iPod cable routed here for now. I hook it to my iPhone since that's where I normally keep it.

Door work time... disassembly instructions can be found on TacoTunes.com. Left Front Door.

Left Rear Door.

Rear Right Door w/ FatMat

Front Right Door w/ FatMat

Left Front Door w/ tweeter and speaker wire run.

Left Front Door w/ speaker and tweeter mounted and connected.

ID XS65 speaker and TacoTunes custom mount.

ID XS tweeter and TacoTunes custom mount.

The Right Front speaker and its connections before mounting. Make sure to tie wrap wire down like this so it doesn't interfere with the window when it's down.

Front Right Door all mounted.

Right Rear Door and ID CTX65.

Rear wall... FatMatted.

Preparing the massive Power wire for insertion. I hooked mine like a fish and taped it real tight... the sprayed it with lubricant. There was really only one opening to go through. I HIGHLY recommend using a lubricant spray of some sort! Also especially helpful when wiring speaker wire through the door tubes. After sprayed, the wires slip right in, through, and out... like a wet turd. =)

This process was not easy. Kindof like shoving a MK-48 Adcap Missile through a basketball hoop. It's not going to happen without a little force. I'm not gonna lie... there was a little cursing, but I wised up, carefully cut a small slit, and use PLENTY of lube. Sounds so dirty, but just as satisfying in the end. It ended up out right in the end.

The beast!

Here's the Fuse Box connected and showing voltage.

Another pic...

Run through here... BTW, NO... running it next to my speaker wires does not affect my sound in any way. Everything was grounded correctly and those wires are seriously insulated.

In the back now... drilled some holes and pulled all the wires through.

Another pic...

Prepping the amp board for amp installation... pre-drilling holes.

Turning the amp board over... mounted the crossovers from the XS package and power distro block on the back. Also pre-drilled holes for wire insertion to the other side.

Close up of crossovers. Had to take the covers off to set the correct pins for the speaker setup.

Power Distro Block... 0 Gauge to 4 Gauge.

This was in the amp testing stage. I recorded a disk with 10 second clips, one of 1000 hz (for setting gain on 4 channel amp) and the other a 50 hz (for setting gain on single channel sub amp). I had the individual tracks play over and over so I could test the amps and tweek the gain for their respective tones... this is so I'm getting max use of my amps without blowing anything. You can also do this by ear by turning the gain up and listening for distortion and turning back down a little. I just wanted to be a little more precise. I have the formula for finding out these settings if anyone wants it.

Here's the multimeter hooked up while the tones play and give me a reading.

LED's mounted in the amp box.

Everything hooked up, ready for amps to be installed and connected.

Closer pic...

Another view. Note I have tie wraps cut real low on the rear speaker wires. This is so I didn't get them confused with the front speaker wires on their respective sides.

Pulled through, ready for amp install.

Hooked up... Lit up!

So damn sexy!

Last piece to the puzzle... installing the sub box to the rear wall and hooking up the sub.

Wired as so...

Final product!

After some tweeking, this system sounds so crystal clear and hits so clean and deep. Thanks to TacoTunes for their assistance. I hope you enjoyed!

Fantastic DIY thread ... this is a project that I will be doing to a lesser degree.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this DIY thread.

PS ... Sorry for doing a "quote" and using up all this bandwidth & storage space, but I wanted to make sure to capture this thread.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTacos View Post
Hey Octane151, where did you get the CD for the 50hz & 1000hz? Also, could you give me that formula you have for setting up the amps? Thanks for your help and great write up.
I made my own CD... you can get the tones off the internet. I got my tones here.
The formula to figure how to set your gain is written in the tutorial here.

Also, JL Audio has an interactive tutorial on how to set your gains... here.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

Fantastic DIY thread ... this is a project that I will be doing to a lesser degree.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this DIY thread.

PS ... Sorry for doing a "quote" and using up all this bandwidth & storage space, but I wanted to make sure to capture this thread.

No problem... glad you like. Good luck with your install.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #131
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
Soo ive forgotten just how good it sounds.. i think its time for a small local meet, although i dont have any work for you to do... unless i go get more spray paint LOL jk
Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvhrse View Post
Soo ive forgotten just how good it sounds.. i think its time for a small local meet, although i dont have any work for you to do... unless i go get more spray paint LOL jk
I'm happy to let you have a listen again...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #133
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
I just realized you were in VA Beach! You guys should come to Hampton for the next meet up we have! I would love to hear it as well!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by linwoodm View Post
I just realized you were in VA Beach! You guys should come to Hampton for the next meet up we have! I would love to hear it as well!
I'm down... lemme know!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #135
Bozack is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Rube
Bozack's Tacoma Gallery
This guy is good!

Awesome build Bro!