1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Double Cab Complete Audio Makeover

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Octane151, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Jun 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    Octane151

Octane151 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    I bought my truck 3 months ago with 7 miles on it. It's the 2009, Silver, 4x4, Double Cab, Long Bed, Hood Scoop, TRD, Tow Package... I couldn't wait to rip out the sound system and put in something awesome. Well, my week long project is finally complete! Thanks to ********* for some great ideas and great products supplied. The setup includes a long list of items... some I purchased on my own, such as headunit, bluetooth, XM, iPod connector, Amps, FatMat... and the rest I purchased from *********. I was pleasantly surprised to see such great quality and great looking items that I received.

Here is the list of everything installed:
    Pioneer AVIC-Z2 HDD Navigation Media Center
    Pioneer GEX-P10XM Receiver w/ Nav Traffic
    Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod adapter
    Pioneer ND-BT1 Bluetooth adapter
    Boyo RearView License Plate Camera
    PAC SWI-PS steering wheel control unit
    Image Dynamics XS65 Components (front doors)
    Image Dynamics CTX65 Coaxials (rear doors)
    Image Dynamics IDQ D4v3 (sub)
    Alpine PDX-4.100
    Alpine PDX-1.600
    Sub Box with polyfill
    Amp Mounting Board ("Tacoma" cutout with blue plexiglass and LED lighting)
    Custom Amp Kit (includes power, speaker, RCA wires/fuse block/power distro block/screws, wire connectors, tie wraps)
    Custom Speaker mounts
    Fat Mat sound dampener

The pictures are pretty much in sequential order so you can see the process of the install. I've also included pics of all the pieces of installed equipment so you can see what I used. Here it goes:

Stock storage bins... those came out with a quickness.
    [​IMG]

Bare back after everything was pulled.
    [​IMG]

Took my Dremmel, cut the back out of the driver's side compartment as so to make room for the sub box.
    [​IMG]

The front looks like this after the two side cuts... then had to cut the top off.
    [​IMG]

Looks like this...
    [​IMG]

Took the wirebrush attachment and cleaned up the cut plastic for a smoother edge.
    [​IMG]

This is it after my local Line-X guy sprayed it. He said the coating stuck right to the plastic with a little sanding and without any primer.
    [​IMG]

The other compartment... final look. Note, I had to cutout the little tray. There are instructions on how to do this on *********.com
    [​IMG]

Final product.
    [​IMG]

Here's all the stuff going in.
    [​IMG]

Massive power wire attached to battery!! 20 feet of it... felt like 20 lbs!
    [​IMG]

Main power wire is red, blue power wire 4 gauge from the distro block to amps, 4 gauge brown ground wire for amps, and many feet of tweeter wire, speaker wires, and sub wire.
    [​IMG]

RCA's from HU to amps, fuse block w/ custom engine compartment mount, distro power block, custom speaker mounts for the doors.
    [​IMG]

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 Hard Drive Navigation & Media Center, iPod Adapter, and Boyo Backup Cam. Didn't have the boxes for my XM and Bluetooth.
    [​IMG]

Image Dynamics XS65 Components
    [​IMG]

Image Dynamics XS65 Components
    [​IMG]

Image Dynamics CTX65 Coaxials
    [​IMG]

Image Dynamics CTX65 Coaxials
    [​IMG]

Alpine amps
    [​IMG]

FatMat... great stuff. Got off Ebay... 50 sq ft for $80 shipped.
    [​IMG]

Amp Mounting board and blue plexiglass
    [​IMG]

Image Dynamics IDQ D4v3
    [​IMG]

Image Dynamics IDQ D4v3
    [​IMG]

********* custom sub box.
    [​IMG]

Install started with prying out the temp controls. Again, these instructions can be found on *********.com. I would recommend using a butter knife. My SOG knife was a bit sharp and can slice right through plastic.
    [​IMG]

Disconnected the temp controls.
    [​IMG]

Take out four bolts shown here... then pull head unit straight out.
    [​IMG]

After Wiring the HU, I wired up the PAC steering wheel control unit as shown.
    [​IMG]

Here are the wires and connector that I tapped into for connections. Some good install and troubleshooting instructions are on this thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/39681-pioneer-pioneer-avic-f700bt-ipod-connector.html
    [​IMG]

My RCA hookups and amp remote wire connections.
    [​IMG]

Here is where I tapped into for the Reverse Sensor Wire... It's on this connector... the red wire. This is behind the driver side kick panel.
    [​IMG]

Behind the coin tray, left of the steering wheel... there's your fuse box. I tapped into the black connector here for the Speed Sensor Wire.
    [​IMG]

Here's my XM unit. It's mounted to the computer bracket behind the glove box and above the right side kick panel. I used tie wraps. Kindof ghetto, but it worked nicely! Also shown is the TSS-Radio XM antenna wire that connects to the factory antenna... found here: http://www.tss-radio.com/lexus-shark-fin-antenna-adapter-p-5647.html
    [​IMG]

Further back view.
    [​IMG]

Here is the factory XM antenna connector... behind driver's side kick panel.
    [​IMG]

Radios... changing of the guard.
    [​IMG]

Here's the HU installed... I created a custom background in photoshop.
    [​IMG]

Mounted my bluetooth mic here. No one ever sees it there.
    [​IMG]

Mounted the bluetooth adapter here, under the cup holder in the center console.
    [​IMG]

iPod adapter went on the other side.
    [​IMG]

iPod cable routed here for now. I hook it to my iPhone since that's where I normally keep it.
    [​IMG]

Door work time... disassembly instructions can be found on *********.com. Left Front Door.
    [​IMG]

Left Rear Door.
    [​IMG]

Rear Right Door w/ FatMat
    [​IMG]

Front Right Door w/ FatMat
    [​IMG]

Left Front Door w/ tweeter and speaker wire run.
    [​IMG]

Left Front Door w/ speaker and tweeter mounted and connected.
    [​IMG]

ID XS65 speaker and ********* custom mount.
    [​IMG]

ID XS tweeter and ********* custom mount.
    [​IMG]

The Right Front speaker and its connections before mounting. Make sure to tie wrap wire down like this so it doesn't interfere with the window when it's down.
    [​IMG]

Front Right Door all mounted.
    [​IMG]

Right Rear Door and ID CTX65.
    [​IMG]

Rear wall... FatMatted.
    [​IMG]

Preparing the massive Power wire for insertion. I hooked mine like a fish and taped it real tight... the sprayed it with lubricant. There was really only one opening to go through. I HIGHLY recommend using a lubricant spray of some sort! Also especially helpful when wiring speaker wire through the door tubes. After sprayed, the wires slip right in, through, and out... like a wet turd. =)
    [​IMG]

This process was not easy. Kindof like shoving a MK-48 Adcap Missile through a basketball hoop. It's not going to happen without a little force. I'm not gonna lie... there was a little cursing, but I wised up, carefully cut a small slit, and use PLENTY of lube. Sounds so dirty, but just as satisfying in the end. It ended up out right in the end.
    [​IMG]

The beast!
    [​IMG]

Here's the Fuse Box connected and showing voltage.
    [​IMG]

Another pic...
    [​IMG]

Run through here... BTW, NO... running it next to my speaker wires does not affect my sound in any way. Everything was grounded correctly and those wires are seriously insulated.
    [​IMG]

In the back now... drilled some holes and pulled all the wires through.
    [​IMG]

Another pic...
    [​IMG]

Prepping the amp board for amp installation... pre-drilling holes.
    [​IMG]

Turning the amp board over... mounted the crossovers from the XS package and power distro block on the back. Also pre-drilled holes for wire insertion to the other side.
    [​IMG]

Close up of crossovers. Had to take the covers off to set the correct pins for the speaker setup.
    [​IMG]

Power Distro Block... 0 Gauge to 4 Gauge.
    [​IMG]

This was in the amp testing stage. I recorded a disk with 10 second clips, one of 1000 hz (for setting gain on 4 channel amp) and the other a 50 hz (for setting gain on single channel sub amp). I had the individual tracks play over and over so I could test the amps and tweek the gain for their respective tones... this is so I'm getting max use of my amps without blowing anything. You can also do this by ear by turning the gain up and listening for distortion and turning back down a little. I just wanted to be a little more precise. I have the formula for finding out these settings if anyone wants it.
    [​IMG]

Here's the multimeter hooked up while the tones play and give me a reading.
    [​IMG]

LED's mounted in the amp box.
    [​IMG]

Everything hooked up, ready for amps to be installed and connected.
    [​IMG]

Closer pic...
    [​IMG]

Another view. Note I have tie wraps cut real low on the rear speaker wires. This is so I didn't get them confused with the front speaker wires on their respective sides.
    [​IMG]

Pulled through, ready for amp install.
    [​IMG]

Hooked up... Lit up!
    [​IMG]

So damn sexy!
    [​IMG]

Last piece to the puzzle... installing the sub box to the rear wall and hooking up the sub.
    [​IMG]

Wired as so...
    [​IMG]

Final product!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some tweeking, this system sounds so crystal clear and hits so clean and deep. Thanks to ********* for their assistance. I hope you enjoyed!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Biscuits likes this.
  2. Jun 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    looks sweet, nice write up.but 09 already have the back up camera

3. Jun 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Bilstein 5100 3" lift, Viper SmartStart, Pioneer AVIC-Z140, XM, Licence plate cam, PAC steering wheel control, ID XS65's, ID CTX65's, IDQ10 D4v3, Alpine PDX-4.100, Alpine PDX-1.600, Custom amp board and sub box, 3M Tint, step bars, BHLM Projector coversion w/ 5Ks, Redline hood struts, Weathertech Digital floor mats, hardshell bed cover
    Thanks! And, yeah, I forgot to note what a geek I am. I have two backup cameras. The stock one points down and shows on the rearview mirror, and my license plate cam points back and shows on my HU.

4. Jun 13, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    so how does the system sound?any sound clips you can post?

5. Jun 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    It sounds amazing! I don't have any sound clips, but I could take a few. It wouldn't do it any justice though considering I don't have a high def recorder to capture the incredible sound.

6. Jun 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    beautiful work, and great post..
    well done.

7. Jun 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Beautiful installation and great tutorial. How long did the whole install take?

Great pics! Thanks.

8. Jun 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    That. Is. F**king. Awesome. Great job!

9. Jun 13, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    Very Nice Setup!! Good job..

10. Jun 13, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Nice job on the install!

11. Jun 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    How much did it cost to get the storage bins line-xed?

12. Jun 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Great write up
    Very clean install great work

13. Jun 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    excellent write up...looks awesome...I would never have the patience or ability to do something like that...think I'll stick to stock...cheers:cool:

14. Jun 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Thanks guys! It definately took some patience. There were a few nights I had to force myself to break away and start again the next day.

My local Line-X guys quoted me $75. I don't know if that's the standard rate. He was just a really cool guy and said he was just going to charge me by the spray. So, I don't know if there was a labor charge in there. Either way, it wasn't that bad, and he did a great job.

15. Jun 13, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    The whole install took one full week, with both my full Saturday and Sunday in the truck and the other five days after work till 10PM-ish.

16. Jun 13, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Nice pictorial.

I can't tell from the pics, but did you deaden the INSIDE of the door? If not, why not? Curious.

I just started mine today. Although I'm building the sub enclosure. No idea what I'm going to do just yet. Something out of the ordinary for sure.

17. Jun 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Thanks bro. Reps.

18. Jun 14, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver
    Thanks! You mean behind the door speakers, right? I did not, one... I just wanted to move on to wiring and felt what I'd done was sufficient... and two, I know a lot of water goes down in the doors... wasn't sure how it holds up against the elements since I'm sure the outer part of the inside door bears the brunt of the elements (water, heat from the sun, etc). I'm sure it would help keep sound IN a bit more, but I mainly wanted to eliminate outside noise coming in. Just doing the doors like I did and the back really help keep sound in as well. Plus, I got a sprayed undercoating (kindof tacky like the back of deadening material), which noticeably helps with road noise.

I guess I could always go back in there later and put some in to see if I hear a difference in sound from my speakers, right?

Good luck with your build! I'd love to see it when you're done.

19. Jun 14, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    With your inner panel now fully covered, you will play hell in trying to get in there to do the inside of the outer panel. Not sure if you'll want to go through the pain of that. Not much access with what you got now.

It don't matter, as long as you like what you got (and you do), then all is well in your world.

I'm taking pics as I go...I'll post up when it's all done.

20. Jun 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    Octane151

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DC LB Silver

I know, you're right. The only way in is through the speaker hole and I wouldn't want to try to cover it in mini squares... too much work, and I'm happy with it the way it is. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Products Discussed in

To Top