1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got it installed!!! Well, almost

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by GoBlueFan, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 18, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I got the MTX reQ-5, Hifonics ZXi-4410, MB Quart RSI-216, and all the deadener/ensolite installed. I still have to finish installing the XM unit (waiting on a cable), and figure out how I want to do my sub. Truck is all buttoned up except the center console.

I installed the amp and reQ under the passenger seat. Had to make some spacers to jack the rear seat mounts up a little to clear the rear corners of the amp (full function of the seat retained). I put the MB Quart cross-overs under the drivers seat. The XM unit will go in the cubby underneath the power outlets. I disassembled the remote input for the reQ and installed it in the panel where the 4X4 switch would normally go. It all works.:woot:It sounds pretty damn good, even without the sub. It'll totally rock with the sub in there.

Drivers door RAMmatted and speaker adapter installed
    [​IMG]
    Passenger door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ensolite
    [​IMG]
    Roof (I didn't get a pic of it ensolited)
    [​IMG]
    Backwall before ensolite
    [​IMG]
    With Ensolite
    [​IMG]
    components mounted and wired
    [​IMG]
    Under the passenger seat, still have to tidy up the wiring
    [​IMG]
    passenger seat spacers to raise seat enough to clear amp
    [​IMG]
    Memphis 4ga powerwire and fuseblock. This is the best wire I've used. Good stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AUX input next to radio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grounding point under center console using existing (non-used) bolt hole
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    oooo nice work, I am excited to see!

3. Jun 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    :DI was excited to see it finally come together. I've been collecting the gear, and then been working on it since the past weekend. Was great to hear it for the first time! Gotta love it when it actually works.:yay:

First time I fired it up...nothing...then I looked over and saw the RCA's just sitting there on the bench. I'm no rocket scientist, but I was pretty sure it would work a whole lot better WITH them actually connected.:anonymous:

I will add, that the window crank handles went on without a hitch though.:D

4. Jun 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    well, a small niggle showed up this morning.

I used a wire in the center console for a switched 12v source (to just turn on the reQ). Worked fine last night when testing it. Well, it seems that that lead goes dead when you put it in gear and let out the clutch.:annoyed:

Soooooooooo....that would be great IF I just sat in the driveway or parking lot and listened to the stereo.:laugh:

Guess I'll yank the deck and pick up a 12v switched source from somewhere back there. No biggie, as I still have to hardwire up the Xm unit.

5. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Nice

I'm still mucking away at mine. Hard when you only have weekends and the tools are an hour away. I have to cover the driver door, do ensolite, carpet the amp rack, and start with the speakers... sigh.

6. Jun 19, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    GoBlue, sounds like a great build! Judging from your other posts it seems like you and Marv are the senior audio gurus around here. I'm excited to see how your build turned out. Post those pics!

7. Jun 19, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

lol...I WISH I knew half of what MrMarv knows. He's a pretty smart dude.

8. Jun 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Indeed he is. I'll be on here quite a bit now too so hopefully I can help out as well.

9. Jun 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    pics added:D

10. Jun 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    Install looks nice and clean. Is it a big difference inside the cab with all the ensolite and raamat in there? That stuff is way cheaper than the second skin stuff. I'll be using your pics for reference when I do mine.

11. Jun 19, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

There is a major difference in noise in the cab. I ran around for a couple of weeks with just the RAMmat installed while waiting for equipment to show up...and now that the Ensolite is installed, it's a big difference. The best way I can explain it, is it's like you are going up a mountain and your ears need to pop. You know how it gets quiet before they pop? That's what it sounds like in the cab. Everything outside is simply muted. My muffler drones a bit, it's no longer an issue.

BTW...if you get the RAMmat on your carpet like I did, WD-40 gets it off no problem. That stuff gets all over you, on your knees, elbows and such...then you lean on something. doh

12. Jun 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    looks good

13. Jun 20, 2009 at 12:07 AM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Blue, looks great.
    Your doors are clean with the soundproofing.
    I got mine done but it looks like a first install.
    I could make mine cleaner next time with the experience under my belt.
    Tonight, I'm running my rca cables down the middle, insatalling the speakers and putting my temp sub together. Tomorrow I'm gonna fabricate my temp amp deck.
    I really like checking out your work cause I find your work really tight.
    Thanks for all the pics.

14. Jun 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    oshky

oshky Well-Known Member

Member:
    OHIO
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco
    3" Revtek Lift, 2"AAL/5100's(Rear) BHLM, Foglight Mod,Smoked Tails, 17"Eagle Black wheels, 33" Nitto's, Kenwood DNX7180..More to come!
    How much and where did you get your RAMmat and ensolite? I am planning on my stereo upgrade, I ust want to have all my stuff together so I can start...

Looks very Clean!!

15. Jun 20, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Thanks. Make sure you let Rick know you are a Tacoma World member, you get a discount. I got one roll of mat, 3 yds of ensolite, and a can of glue for $155. Hard to beat that.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

16. Jun 20, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    oshky

oshky Well-Known Member

Member:
    OHIO
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco
    3" Revtek Lift, 2"AAL/5100's(Rear) BHLM, Foglight Mod,Smoked Tails, 17"Eagle Black wheels, 33" Nitto's, Kenwood DNX7180..More to come!
    Thanks a lot!!!

Now I can only hope it turns out like yours!!! How was the roof to do?

17. Jun 20, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    Very nice!!!!!

18. Jun 20, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    looks great blue, very clean

19. Jun 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    One of two reasons why I don't use RAMmat. Good product for the money though.

GoBlue, my favorite part of your install was the remote gain knob that you customized to fit where the 4WD knob should be. That was a great idea and it turned out very well!

20. Jun 20, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

Actually, the roof was very easy to do. Just a flat surface. I anticipated it being a pain since it was overhead, but it wasn't.

Just take your time and line stuff up when installing it, it'll come out fine. Cut the mat into manageable pieces/strips to handle. I'm sure there are guys that could have done it faster and better, but I was in no hurry.

Products Discussed in

To Top