1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amazing mp3 player/aux input unit for $80?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by healthylaugh, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Nov 29, 2007 at 8:09 AM
    healthylaugh

healthylaugh [OP] Member

Member:
    NW Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2006 V6 SR-5 Access Cab TRD Off-Road Auto TowPkg Audio Config: 6 speaker non-JBL & steering controls
    Hi Everybody,

I've been searching and searching for a gizmo to allow me to play mp3s in my 2006 Tacoma w/non-JBL 6 disc changer w/steering controls. Basically I was looking for an AUX adapter to hook up a player (both iPod and non-ipod; I have a Palm Treo 700p but would consider buying an iPod, also). The USA SPEC is expensive and some of the others didn't knock me out (see my thread from last year)...

Then, I saw this on eBay today:

http://stores.ebay.com/sogoestore

Click on one of the Toyota versions of the TOYOTA OEM RADIO IPOD AUX INPUT MP3 USB SD INTEREFACE and it states:

That you don't even need an mp3 player with this unit! It plays right from a USB thumb drive or SD card (w/ the included USB adapter)!

This would be a godsend, as my mp3 player is in my Palm Treo 700p--now I could just use it for telephone, google maps, etc. and bring a thumb drive only for music, podcasts, etc. in the Tacoma.

ANYONE HAVE THIS YET? It seems almost too good to be true and I don't want to shell out $80 if it's garbage.

Feedback, please! Thanks!

HERE'S TEXT FROM THE EBAY LISTING:

NEW OEM TOYOTA Digital Music Changer MP3/WMA

Features:

*Compatible with OEM Radio/CD PLAYER: Toyota\Lexus

TYPE I :

2003-2007 4Runner
    2003-2007 Avalon
    2005-2007 Camry
    2003-2007 Celica
    2005-2007 Corolla
    2004-2007 Highlander
    2003-2007 Land Cruiser (Not compatible if equipped with XM or 6-disc DVD player)
    2005-2007 Matrix
    2003-2007 MR2
    2004-2007 Prius
    2003-2007 Sequoia
    2004-2007 Solara
    2004-2007 Sienna
    2005-2007 Tacoma
    2003-2007 Tundra

Package Contents:

*Digital Music Changer

*User's Manual

*3.5mm Audio Cable Harness

*USB Cable Harness

*SD Card Reader

Description:

CD changer interface connection. NOT FM transmitter, NO tone loss, NO noise and NO interfere.
    Add multyple CDs, thousands of TRACKs on radio. MP3 Control is exactly same as CD changer.
    Disk folders is mapped to CDs, files is mapped to tracks. Organize your music more easily.
    1000 songs each folder can hold, 10 folders(CDs).
    High quality MP3 player build inside. Support up to 320Kbps MP3 encode rate. Nice voice present.
    Radio button (and steering wheel) can control the MP3: Mode/Disk/Track/Volume/On-Off...
    Repeat/Random/Scan play mode can be done. Display accurate Disk/Track/Time message.
    Standard USB 2.0 interface and SD Card. Can use most kind of USB memory stick
    FAT/FAT32 partition on USB disk. Up to 32G byte songs can be listed and played.
    Car noise restrain circuit build inside, restrain car noise and interfere perfectly.
    Can remerber the exact position of song. Continue playing when radio power on next time.
    All power supply by Audiolink. Not cigarette plug occupied. No wire outside.
    1/8''(3.5mm) Line in jack is available for other audio resource connection.
    Keep the original internal CD/CD-changer usable.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 29, 2007 at 9:39 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  3. Nov 29, 2007 at 10:23 AM
    healthylaugh

healthylaugh [OP] Member

Member:
    NW Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2006 V6 SR-5 Access Cab TRD Off-Road Auto TowPkg Audio Config: 6 speaker non-JBL & steering controls
    I think that $65 + $18.60 S/H is high, given what you get:

The USA SPEC DF-TOY has a pair of RCA connections--not the best solution, imho. You need adapters to get it to 3.5mm input connections.

I was talking more about this when I referred to USA SPEC:
    PA12-TOY Smart iPod Connector ($137 + S/H)
    Connect, Charge, Control, and Play an iPod through your Factory Toyota radio
    It also has a AUX input (RCA again)
    THIS WOULD BE FOR THE IPOD AFICIONADO, I would think, but there is a new item referenced in threads here that's much cheaper and does the same thing: Metra AIPTY02ID $50!

So if you're an iPod person or want to use your own mp3 player the Metra would be a smokin' deal. However...

This eBay unit I referenced in my OP has a 3.5mm jack input AND a USB input. No mp3 player necessary if you don't want to use one (which sounds great to me). Think about it--you just copy the mp3s or wmas to your thumb drive and go. The little gadget is, in essence, the player, too.

4. Nov 29, 2007 at 10:41 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I totally agree with you healthylaugh. I guess it just depends on what a person is looking for. The Metra gives you 3.5mm and Ipod connections. The device you found gives you 3.5mm and USB. If a person is positive they will never have an Ipod then this new device would be great. If a person has an mp3 player and may get an Ipod someday (my circumstance) then the Metra would probably be better. If a person already has an Ipod then the more expensive USA-SPEC is the way to go. Good find!

5. Nov 29, 2007 at 11:17 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Yes, the feature of it being an mp3 player is convenient. However, I wonder if it has USB host capabilities where you can plug in a external 2.5" drive to it. Also, I would rather have RCA plugs than a 3.5mm plug. RCAs tend to hold better than 3.5. You would have to use a male-male 3.5 adapter anyway, or you could use a Cable that goes from 3.5mm male to RCA.

Regardless, I think this is a good alternative. If it is a USB host, then I'll probably get one. Thanks.

6. Nov 29, 2007 at 11:36 AM
    healthylaugh

healthylaugh [OP] Member

Member:
    NW Washington State
    Vehicle:
    USB host? I don't know...it can host the thumb drive or the SD to USB converter, but they are low power consumption compared to a 2.5" ext. HDD (hell, my old laptop has trouble powering that without the external AC adapter), so I'm not sure.

At least we have choices now (not the case a few months ago). If this eBay item is OK (going to keep asking around), I'll probably get one and then feedback here. But, that Metra is tempting for $50!

Is the Metra's sound quality the same as the USA SPEC?

7. Nov 29, 2007 at 11:51 AM
    healthylaugh

healthylaugh [OP] Member

Member:
    NW Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, rhoppas...

The question now is:
    Is this ebay unit (sorry, it doesn't have a name or manufacturer) well-built and does it perform as advertised? The USA SPEC has a track record, and from what you're saying the Metra AIPTY02ID also performs well, correct?

METRA QUESTIONS:
    -Does the Metra interface unit stay behind the dash and just the wires eminate from back there? If so, I guess you have to open the dash to change connections, correct?
    -Is the cord on the Metra long enough to go along the inside of the console and pop out beside the passenger seat, so you could place your item in the little tray next to the shifter?

8. Nov 29, 2007 at 6:12 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    The Metra sound quality is great. Yes, the interface box stays behind the dash. I ran the Ipod and mp3 wires to the glove box which leaves plenty of spare cable so the passenger or driver can comfortably use the mp3 controls. I am not sure if they would reach all the way to the console box. It probably would but the Ipod/mp3 player would have to stay in the console which would be kind of cumbersome to operate. Of course you could always use a 3.5mm extension cable for the mp3 wire.

9. Nov 29, 2007 at 6:28 PM
    deepsee

deepsee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC Black TRD OR Pkg
    LED dome,map,fog,and backup lights. AMP Bed extender, black badges, bed mat, weathertech window visors, weather tech floor mats front and back, Grillcraft black mesh, console and glove box organizer, tinted windows.
    The USA spec works great for me. I love the fact that i can use the radio or the ipod to pick songs. I have so much music on my ipod it would take for ever to use the radio to go threw the whole libary. I didnt mind spending the 150 for it. it does make my ipod go a little crazy when i first turn the car on but after about a minute it works great A+

10. Dec 2, 2007 at 7:04 AM
    tigerdongal

tigerdongal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Memphis PR Amp, Memphis 10" Sub, Custom Sub-box, Undcover tonneau, Pioneer DEH-P7900BT, USB Adaptor, Steering Column Adapter, Crossfire Car Audio XP2402 on the speakers. Now with dB Platinums and also custom tweeter mounts!
    The US Spec Toy works well, RCA or 3.5mm audio jack are both stereo so why not? Remember all the connections from the amps to head units are RCA's...
    What I didn't like with my US Spec Toy was not being able to pick tracks off the head unit, so I changed the head unit, put in a usb adaptor (be careful that you have enough power from the head unit) and stuck on a 60 gig drive.

It's also worth bearing in mind that it can be a tad dangerous selecting songs whilst driving, I nearly wiped out a couple of times, hence the new head unit.

11. Jul 15, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    bigwave

bigwave New Member

Member:
    california
    I just purchased one of the eBay MP3 units for 79.95. Works great on my 2006 double cab 6 disc changer with steering wheel controls. Recognizes the new player as CD2 and plays and sounds great, all controlled by the headunit & steering wheel controls. I used a 2gig usb flash drive to store the songs from computer. Was able to put on 700+ songs on the drive before I filled the drive. The unit will recognize up to 999 songs. It is seperated into 10 directories which the device "sees" as a cd disk so in essence the Taco stereo sees it as a 10 disk MP3 player. The seller priority mail it to me pretty quick too. Easy install as well, just plug the mp3 player to the unused connector on the back of the stock Taco stereo, and route the unit to the glove box. Just got the unit so time will tell on the longevity of the unit, but so far I am really happy with it.

12. Jul 15, 2008 at 8:32 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    what was the seller's name?

13. Jul 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    bigwave

bigwave New Member

Member:
    california
  14. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    sammy-e

sammy-e Member

Member:
    Has anyone gotten this or the metra to work with the JBL 6-cd changer unit?

15. May 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    John Galt

John Galt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 Land Cruiser
    I have the same question... I have an '02 land Cruiser with the JBL factory system, with 6-CD changer and navigation systems.

I need a lead on how to easily send an aux to the radio [I use my Droid as my mp3 player...]

thanks!

16. May 8, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    sammy-e

sammy-e Member

Member:
    The metra, don't remember model, worked for me about a couple of weeks and then died. I don't know if it was due to incompatibility or just a lemon, but I didn't try buying another. Hope you find something, I'd love to hear of updated info on this.

17. May 10, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    John Galt

John Galt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 Land Cruiser
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't had the chance to do buy anything yet. I need to take the truck apart first and see definitively what i have in the way of inputs available...

I will definitely report back if/when I get around to actually getting it done.

18. May 23, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    sorry to bring up an old thread but i had some information to add in case anyone is looking to hook up an mp3 player to their stock deck aux port.

i purchased one of these about 4 years ago and i haven't had any issues with it ever.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/product_info.php?products_id=10020

if you browse the website further, they have an auxillary hookup that you can actually control the ipod through the stock stereo. I decided against this because of how long it would take to scroll through options on a single-line stock interface.

I have one for sale for $40 + shipping but for a 01 to 04 tacoma stock deck... i'm not sure if the Landcruiser port is similar.

19. May 25, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    John Galt

John Galt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 Land Cruiser
    Thanks for the input! I am a consultant, so travel most of the time - resulting in having had no time to look at the truck... Someday..

Products Discussed in

To Top