Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stereo Install

Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
NMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to all

NMG's Tacoma Gallery
Stereo Install

Just wondering if anyone can provide some info on how difficult it would be to swap out the stock headunit, put in new speakers (front and back) and add an amp? Is this "difficult" for someone who's never done car audio before? I'm not looking to add a sub right now, but I'm thinking about upgrading the stock system. Just not sure if I should just pay a shop to install it all. I'm not too worried about hooking the amp and everything up as I am familiar with audio, I'm more concerned about being able to remove the panels, run the wiring, etc.

Is this a tough job for a newbie? Any idea how long it should take?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
removing the panels and running the wires is extremely easy. id say around an hour to pop all the panels off, wires just depend on u but theres plenty of room along the floor
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Even without previous experience, I think pulling the doors apart and installing speakers, pulling the stock HU and installing a new HU can be done in about 4 hours. It might seem like a long time, but I am factoring in someone being very slow and meticulous. If you can get laptop and have it sitting in the passenger seat and use it to reference, it shouldn't be a challenge that scares you.

If I were doing an install of that sort on a Tacoma, I think I could have it all done in under 2.5 hours, including wiring. That is because I know where all the panel clips are and the size bolts and what not.

Seriously, it isn't rocket science. Just take a look at some of the tutorials / guides on here. You can get a really good idea of where everything will fit and what comes off and what doesn't. If all else fails, you can probably get someone's number here and have them help you if you get stuck or just have questions.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
NMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to all

NMG's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, thanks folks. Definitely sounds like something I could manage over a weekend in the garage. I've got no problem taking things slow and being systematic about it, etc.