1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hands on with JVC KW-NT1

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Raylo, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jul 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I installed this GPS Head unit a couple days ago and wanted to share some info with you guys. This isn't a full review but merely a heads up on what I believe are some serious shortcomings in the hands free bluetooth functions.

1. I can't send the phonebook contacts from my RAZR VE20 to the JVC via bluetooth. I think this is an issue with my phone rather than the KW-NT1.... BUT.... *The KW-NT1 has no way to make manual phonebook entries. What's up with that??!!*

2. When the vehicle is in motion certain menu choices are unavailable. Some make sense like manual GPS address and phone number entry. Lots of key presses required for that and it is not safe for drivers to be doing that. (but what about passenger?).... BUT.... the active menus like dialed numbers, incoming numbers, and probably phonebook, only show the last 5 numbers of each... AND.... *the up/down buttons to scroll to other pages of saved numbers are non functional!* So you can only dial a very few numbers to make hands free calls without stopping. This is unbelievable and unacceptable. So in most cases we are left to doing the most dangerous thing of all... using the actual cell phone to find a number to dial.

I don't know how the other manufacturers deal with this but I doubt it is a universal thing. But if it is I would recommend getting a unit that has voice dialing.

Otherwise navigation, stereo, and backup camera performance is fine. But if bluetooth is important to you I'd do a lot of research before you buy a new head unit.

BTW, this menu lockout for certain functions whilst in motion IS NOT mentioned AT ALL in the user manual... AND there are no settings to turn the nanny off.

If not for the detachable face which works great, I probably would have gone with a Kenwood or Pioneer. Pioneer has some new mid priced units with voice dialing that would be a better choice... if you don't want a detachable face.

2. Jul 14, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    I have been in contact with JVC mid-level tech support about why several functions in GPS and bluetooth are inoperable when the GPS senses vehicle motion over 6 mph. There are several, but the most troublesome for me is that you are locked out of scrolling through screens of *saved entries* in the phonebook. So all you can access and dial is whichever screen of 5 contacts you last viewed. This is really no different than scrolling through the various radio bands --each with 6 saved presets and pushing the desired button-- which is NOT restricted at all. It also defeats the entire purpose of having hands free. After all, if I have to stop to dial I might just as well use my handset.

GPS entry is also locked out so even a passenger can't perform basic entry operations. I think all you can do while in motion is select the "home" button. All this is unacceptable to me. I have used many other GPS units that didn't have these illogical restrictions. And then something like canceling a GPS route takes you through several menus and keypresses... more keypresses and screens that it would take to dial a saved contact. Like I said.. illogical.....

Hopefully this will be addressed soon with a simple firmware update. But I will refrain from doing a full review and rating of the KW-NT1 unti I see how JVC resolves this issue... and if I decide to keep or return the unit.

3. Jul 22, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    I am waiting to hear where this goes. I am looking at this unit too for the security but worried that the performance

4. Jul 23, 2009 at 4:06 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Well, JVC got back to me and said that my unit was functioning as designed (I figured that) and they would not be changing the firmware to enable any of the restricted functions while moving. I reiterated that the way they applied certain restrictions was grossly inconsistent but they would not budge. Didn't really surprise me.

But... another owner told me to just do the typical video playback lockout bypass (grounding the wire that connects to the PB circuit). Since I installed the unit this took me all of 5 minutes. I did that and it turns out that it works like a master bypass, enabling video playback while mobile (I didn't care about that) but it also removed all the menu restrictions in GPS and hands free dialing menus. So now I am very happy with the KW-NT1 and can recommend it highly.

A word of advice for anyone shopping for an in-dash GPS H/U. Call the tech support and get them to tell you exactly which functions are disabled while moving. The manuals and online info pages won't tell you. And ask them how the vehicle gets speed sense (GPS, VSS wire, etc). They won't tell you how to bypass but you can then come here, or 12volt, or me-mag and ask. And it is NOT ALWAYS the simple fix like my JVC. It depends on mfg and generation of equipment. Depending on how they design the firmware they can keep the GPS speed sense restrictions even when the PB wire bypass is in place. In those cases the only way to remove restrictions would be to interrupt the GPS signal by installing a switch (cut antenna wire and put in a toggle, or install a RF a/b switch with 1 input empty, or make a device to "park" the GPS antenna in an RF proof box at the flip of a switch). This gets a lot more complicated.

One more good thing about the KW-NT1... the OEM metal radio brackets can be used with it. Turns out that 3 of the 4 holes in the brackets line up with the holes in the JVC and the bolts are the same thread, length and diameter. Much better than the cheesy plastic brackets that came with the Scosche kit. Another cool thing is that you can go to a menu and enable rear camera playback anytime (still comes on automatically in reverse if you connect the wire), moving parked, doesn't matter, even if PB wire is not grounded.

Here a couple of pics of the install:

IMG_0395_2fae0fc5248470624d45828094ba8fc41bee5bea.jpg

IMG_0404_18f22686072972de7defea0ba2e8e5a9f9dacdfd.jpg

5. Jul 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    lookylookitzadam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Awesome, that is what I was looking for. I read somewhere that JVC was using the GPS speed signal to lockout functions and I was worried that it would be more complex than just grounding the brake wire. That is awesome that it functions as a bypass.

Just ordered mine. I love the fact that its detachable for security.

6. Jul 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    I had read the same thing so I actually ordered a linear actuator and stuff to make a little foil wrapped doghouse to run the antenna puck into at the touch of a switch. Then run it out after completing menu operation. Simply cutting the antenna wire and putting a toggle switch would have been more difficult since this seems to be an active antenna meaning it has power going to it to run an integral low noise amp. Possible but could have risked ruining the antenna and it has a custom connector so would have had to get another from JVC. Probably big $. Anway I'm glad the simple PB wire ground worked... saved me a lot of hassles getting one of those other methods set up.

Yes, the detachable screen is very very nice. It has a good solid connector and latch and a nice padded softcase. I have been looking for someone to make one like this for years. Pioneer has a new model with detachable but the screen is tiny.

When you get your unit you will have to update the firmware to enable the Google Street Director Assistant to work. That software works to add POIs from Google onto a SD card. But it is really faster and easier to just find the address on Google (or wherever) and just enter it into the JVC manually. I did this update... but I'm not sure what to think long term. I am not sure I will do any more firmware updates unless I am sure they don't include code to correct their little "oversight" in letting th PB wire ground bypass the GPS speed constraints.

7. Jul 23, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    vanhorn

vanhorn New Member

Member:
    Does anyone know if the JVC 7000BT has this "feature" as well?

8. Jul 24, 2009 at 4:33 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    I suspect it will be similar, which means the bypass should work. But you should probably start a new thread asking about what if any features are unavailabe while moving and how to bypass on that specific model. Folks who actually own it should be able to tell you. Make sure you specifically ask about BT dialing and GPS menu features since most bypass threads seem to focus on DVD playback. I'm not sure why folks care so much about that... to me the core GPS and BT functions are much more important.

9. Jul 24, 2009 at 5:35 AM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
  10. Jul 24, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Looks interesting.... Bigger screen (still detachable!), more POI. User manual says input of destination is prohibited when greater than 6 mi/h so it looks like the same GPS speed sense as the KW-NT1. On the KW-NT1 many more GPS functions are locked out (like POI search) and I suspect that the NX-7000 will suffer from the same restrictions. IOW, don't trust the manuals to give you the whole story.

The blurb says that BT "adapter" is included so BT is not built in. I saw on Amazon that it is a little puck like thing that plugs into the h/u so install shouldn't be an issue. Looks like more BT functions than KW-NT1, including missed calls, texting, and BT audio. Pretty nice. No mention of speed restrictions but I'm sure they will apply. It also lets you set "6 preset phone numbers". So I suspect those will be the only ones available without accessing the phonebook, which will probably be speed restricted.

The real question is if the PB bypass will eliminate all the restrictions. If I had to guess I'd say it probably will.... but you never know. Get one and tell us!

11. Jul 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    imsikotic

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    I will probably get it after I buy my Long Travel and get it put on. When I do get the deck I will keep you posted.

12. Jul 24, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    The NX-7000NT also has voice dialing. And the street price doesn't seem too much more then the NT1. I think I got the wrong H/U! Oh well... let us know how it turns out. Good luck on the susp mods.

13. Jul 24, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    lookylookitzadam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    I was looking at the 7000nt until I saw Crutchfields price. I got the nt1 for $721 shipped with backup camera, dash install kit, another BT headset and some other stuff. So if you are interested in the NT1 its pretty cheap right now.

14. Jul 24, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, indeed. I got the NT1 for $689 with free shipping (from HookedonTronics) but I wanted the Pioneer cam so paid $170 for that. The only things about the NX-7000 that I like better are more POIs, bigger screen and voice dialing. I don't care about the traffic receiver (not gonna pay for a subscription), texting, or using a BT music player. Looks like the NX can be had for about $836 from Amazon or similar... about a $150 premium over the NT1. Might have been worth it.... but small differences, really.

15. Jul 24, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
  16. Jul 24, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    imsikotic

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    cool thanx

17. Jul 31, 2009 at 12:21 AM
    lookylookitzadam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Raylo, I just got/installed my unit today. What firmware version are you running?

18. Jul 31, 2009 at 3:09 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Good job! I think you'll like it. I installed this firmware update before I even used it. Supposedly it is needed to make the Street Director Assistant POIs you add from Google to the SD card work. Not sure if it did anything else. The procedure to update is a little odd. I had to manually create the directory with the name they specified (Win XP didn't create it automatically upon unzip for me) but otherwise the update went well. The second link has some q&as discussing the update procedure.

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/car/support/navi/nt1/us/index.html

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028476&pathId=126&page=1

19. Sep 28, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    KP Texan

KP Texan Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Looks like the answer to this question is right here and they say simply grounding the parking brake wire is here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/car-entertainment-ice/1044681-help-jvc-kw-nx7000.html

I don't have a Tacoma or a KW-NX7000BT but I just though I'd pass along the info. I do have an '09 Tundra if that counts!! :)

-Wes

20. Jan 8, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    finleypj

finleypj New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gumby
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Rims, Tires, Flip cover for bed, Nerf bars, XM radio

Products Discussed in