Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

12" Subwoofer Enclosure

Old 07-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Sicknick is on a distinguished road
Sicknick's Tacoma Gallery
12" Subwoofer Enclosure

Hello. I have been searching for a decent box to fit in the back of my regular cab's bench seat. If any of you can help me out I have 2 12" subwoofers with a 5 inch depth. I am looking to make the boxes myself. And later on i wish to upgrade to an MTX 12" found in this deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-Car-Audio-2-...3A1%7C294%3A50 .....
I have concidered 12" tubes as well...
Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt you can get them back there. Simply not enough mounting depth to make a box, unless you are going to be doing some wicked fiberglass work. Even that would have some flex issues, I would think.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
ive seen it done... i just need the plans... i can raise my seat with extensions if needed....
Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
If you are very short, have your seat jammed all the way forward and don't mind giving up all your rear cab space, it can be done. I don't think you'll find one premade...no market for them.

It's just a straight forward box to fit the available space. Just measure and start building. Nothing special. Do what floats yer boat.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
yeah im about 5'9 and can drive with the seat all the way forward... i dont mind.... i actually think it can be done without putting it all the way forward... one back mite work.... i talked to marv about it... were gonna start putting together somethin.... he thinks maybe both twelves on passenger side would work... i plan on taking the plans to home depot or lowes and having them cut the wood for me since i dont have a table saw and cant cut a streight edge... thats why i need the plans.... correct wood to use.... etc.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicknick View Post
yeah im about 5'9 and can drive with the seat all the way forward... i dont mind.... i actually think it can be done without putting it all the way forward... one back mite work.... i talked to marv about it... were gonna start putting together somethin.... he thinks maybe both twelves on passenger side would work... i plan on taking the plans to home depot or lowes and having them cut the wood for me since i dont have a table saw and cant cut a streight edge... thats why i need the plans.... correct wood to use.... etc.

Home depot has a panel saw to cut plywood/mdf....not exactly what I'd call precise.

I'd try to find another option. .02
Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
Home depot has a panel saw to cut plywood/mdf....not exactly what I'd call precise.

I'd try to find another option. .02
x2

I'm a part time handy man and when I get my "rough" cuts from them, it's very rough. They don't care about being precise and are always in rush as they do double duty. Don't use Homie Depoop for that. A good skil saw with a t-square clamped down will get you your precision cuts. Plus Homie Depoop doesn't cut angles...

Rob
Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
I used to work at Lowe's. If it wasn't very busy and we had enough people in the department (only because of a scheduling error) then I'd make as many cuts as you wanted. But the ruler on the saw wasn't perfect and the tape measure was never my forte. The general slug at either store can usually get you under 1/2" but I wouldn't trust them to get precise (under 1/16th) with any consistency.

If you don't have the facilities or hardware to build your own box, then having marv make it makes sense. He does awesome work. Much better than you will ever be able to get having a box store employee cut for you. And it was said above, they do not mitre cut anything. You are only going to get 90 edge cuts.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
yeah im probably gonna buy one off marv.... itd be a nice project to work on though... haha i like buildin stuff and have wood for it... just cant cut a streight edge to do so