1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

i'm an idiot, you can learn from my mistake, scratched window!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by zero niner, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jul 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    zero niner

zero niner [OP] romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Hello,

Well so much for saving money on working on my truck myself. Last night I buttoned up my truck and put on all the door panels after doing the complete dynamat.

I sat in my drivers seat testing all of the windows when I hear a SCREEEECHH! coming from the rear window. I look and there is a nice 10" scratch perfectly down the front portion. Well I remove the door panels thinking perhaps I over did it with the dynamat when I realized -

I USED THE LONG SCREW FOR THE DOOR OPENER PULL and the short screws for the lower door pull. What an idiot! The additional length of the screw was enough to scratch my window.

So the tint is toast and *hopefully* the glass is not scratched or else I'll have to pay for a new window!

So lesson learned. Mark your screws and remember what goes where because this could happen to you!

Color me stupid...

Rob

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    Slypted

Slypted Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Smiitybuilt nerf bars, Hunter bull bar w/ KC hilights/ Toy-tec 3" spacer, AAL lift, LR UCAs, Helo he842 16x8 Wheels, BFG KM2 285x75x16
    Ouch! Tough break.

3. Jul 16, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    stupid

4. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yikes dood...Sorry to hear about that. Best luck with the window inspection...

5. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Well best case scnenario is my tint guy will remove and replace for $40 (he was laughing cause he's done this before too), so small price to pay. We can only hope it was the tint and not the glass but I'll find out tomm. Ship happens I guess...

Rob

6. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Don't feel too bad, I've done worse. I set the timing gears wrong on a BMW rebuild. Didn't have a manual, but I thought I knew what I was doing. Bent 2 valves when they contacted the piston on the first crank, and the guides. bye bye head.

:(

7. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Rangerpeterson

Rangerpeterson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    :worthless:

Tough break man.... we have all done stupid crap before.... I have surely done pleanty....

8. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Sorry... all I can say is join the crowd. Hope the window isn't scratched :(

9. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Ah, Live and learn. I love laughing at myself for those type of mistakes... (usually after i throw a temper tantrum and use the F-Bomb, And C word a few times.)

10. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Man... You know what they say... Shit happens. :(

11. Jul 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I've kinda done this but it was the rear of the speaker that contacted the window. Measured 40 times, cut, trimmed, carefully installed, thought it was good to go...not.:eek:

Hopefully it's just a tint thing. Live and learn. And we all get to :boink:fun at ya.:D

12. Jul 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Yeah, I guess life could be worse too, it's only on the rear window so at least I'm not looking at it as a reminder. Figured we could all use a reminder to be aware of reinstalling the door panels or any other part for that matter.

Rob

13. Jul 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I forgot to tighten the cam chain on my newly rebuilt CRF250r (dirt bike). Chain slipped on my first ride and hammered the new valves off the new piston.

Also left me stranded in the bottom of a very long and steep ravine and getting out was NOT easy or fun! Was so mad, I fixed it and sold it for a 2-stroke...no more valves or cam chains!

To the OP, you probably didn't scratch your window. If so, you can probably find a window in a junk yard. No need to urgently replace it so you can just wait till you find a cheap one.

14. Jul 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I did the same thing but my window wouldn't roll down more than an inch...Right away I knew I switched up the screws!

15. Jul 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Ahhh, I don't feel as dumb now, on my way to the tint shop in a couple of hours, I'll update the status then and see how much my lesson will cost!

Rob

16. Jul 17, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I'd make fun of you, but I did the same thing to this truck. Noticed the screaching when I rolled the window down. Took the door apart to try and figure it out. Nothing seemed to be touching, then noticed the long screw was just a tad too long. I have a scratch down the rear window that I can see on the inside, but not on the outside. Really sucks, but live and learn.

DirtySteve likes this.
  17. Jul 17, 2009 at 4:24 PM
    commtrd

commtrd commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    I talked to Mr Marv about mounting my new component speakers in the holes and fitting to avoid contact with the window and here's my approach: I will have the windows down and fit the raammat under the baffles so that I make sure the speakers clear first; only because I know I am prone to performing brilliant acts! Like when I got the struts out of the front end and had to put everything back in because I thought they forgot to include the spring perches...that was good for a refry and boy did I feel like an idiot. However it's only possible to make mistakes if actually doing something...

18. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    Only the tint!!!

So all in all, it was just a scratched tint, the shop was pretty cool to do a remove and replace for just $40, it would have been more but since they installed it I got a deal.

Thank goodness it was only the tint. This was a good lesson for me to take my time and mark EVERYTHING, I'm usually pretty good about putting things in plastic bags and labeling it and thought by putting all the screws in the door pocket I wouldn't lose anything.

Anyways, glad to see that I wasn't alone in making mistakes, but to the last poster, you're right, at least we're putting in our own work!

Take care and enjoy your weekend!

Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top