1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GROM USB adapter installation pics

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by epa4wd, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    GROM USB adapter:

[​IMG]

Testing it before installing everything, also taped below the A/C panel because it scratches so easily:

[​IMG]

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNaFQ9I65XA

Removed radio and trim below left A/C vent

[​IMG]

Preparing trim to install USB port

[​IMG]

USB installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Panel back on the truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pic befere testing it again so I can go ahead and insall everything back

[​IMG]

Done! Now I can easily listen to all my mp3s.

[​IMG]

USB adapter from
    http://indashpc.org

USB plug from
    http://mp3car.com

The audio is a little bit lower than the CD and FM, but better than the OEM auxiliary input. You have to create at least one folder in the USB adapter which will work as a virtual disc. I will create 6 different folders by genre so I can listen to whatever I'm in the mood for.

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    nice job man!

3. Jul 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    Phantom_X-SP

Phantom_X-SP Rude Boy |><|

Member:
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Black Sand Pearl X-SP
    Awesome work man

4. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:05 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    I can't find the usb plug you have on the mp3 site.

5. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    x2. How much was it?

6. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    epa4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
  7. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Cool thanks for the link. Now for the next question. I already have an ipod/mp3 player adapter. Metra somethin somthin. Would it be possible to get a cable that connects to this usb port to the ipod 8 pin hole on the Metra device or am I gonna have to have the 125.00 grom device?

8. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:55 AM
    epa4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    I would say just connect this usb cable to where you would plug the usb drive.

9. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    What I'm saying is...the Metra device has a 3.5mm hole & the 8 pin round hole for the ipod cable. Would there be a cable that goes from usb on the end of the port shown in the install above to the 8 pin round port on the Metra device & would this even work or do I need the circuitry that comes in the grom device which already has the usb port on it? Trying to get out of getting the grom device if I can jack the usb port into my Metra device.

10. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:28 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    I already have that one too. It's lame, you don't even get to have control over the iPod nor does the sound change when you mess with the volume on the iPod, at least through this I will be able to shuffle through the flash drive without hassle, I can deal with the volume.

11. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:28 AM
    epa4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    ohh, I don't know, Im sure it possible to make the cable, but I have no idea if one already exists .

12. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:31 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I don't use the ipod port just the 3.5mm & the mp3 player volume does increase the stereo volume. I'm just trying to figure out whether I can use usb jack with an adapter cable into the Metra or if I'm gonna have to pony up on the grom device.

13. Dec 14, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yeah!!! Wifey rocks yet again! Calmly explained the advantages of this setup over the metra one I have & somehow magically she acted like she understood & said do it, Merry Xmas...again. :D I love her .....& play along when she wants some barnes & noble book reader thing that's supposed to save us half over her actually buying/trading books to read. Nothin like team work! Orderin up the grom/usb box, usb port already on the way FTaudioW!

14. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    epa4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Awesome man, if I had known I would have sold you mine, sold it about a two weeks ago because my stock 09 radio kept having problems so I went aftermarket. I really liked this setup, I would usually drive around with the Random Song setting and pretty much never had to touch the radio. I also had EagleTec 8GB usb drive you can find it on ebay it VERY small about 5mm in size after the plug, so I would always keep it plugged in and it didn't attract any attention. Nice thing about GROM is that they keep releasing updates for the unit and its easy to update from the usb drive,

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Dec 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    What do the updates do? If they add more features, yeah, but if it plays music & has no issues then what would you be updating? Guess I'm headed back to do more research & find out, lol...

16. Dec 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Got the grom unit today. Didn't know it was gonna have ipod, 3.5mm mp3 & usb hookup. Cool shit, can't wait to swap it out. Get to keep the mp3 & ipod cables I already have now in the glove box & then have usb on the front of dash like OP did. Guessing the grom device will allow oem stereo to control all 3 devices which would be extra nice & well worth the price. Metra mp3/ipod device will be for sale soon........but that'll be a different thread, lol......

17. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    epa4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    yes but if you bought the usb one, the ipod port does not work only usb and stereo.

18. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The instructions on mine say.....

Depending on your firmware version, GROM-USB2 can work in 2 or 3 modes. You will need to perform the steps below quickly with 1-2 seconds interval. When you need to switch between modes you will need to switch to mode changing state on the stereo. There are 2 scenarios

1. stereo is already in cd changer mode with grom activated. press am/fm wait 1-2 seconds then press cd
    2. stereo in other mode, press cd wait 1-2 second, press am/fm wait 1-2 second, press cd wait 1-2 second

Then you will hear voice announcing current mode (usb, aux or ipod). press next track < or ^ while the voice prompt is talking until you get to desired mode.

says if you didn't hear the voice announcement you did not press quickly enough and adapter is not in mode changing state anymore. You are then to perform entering mode changing prodedure again.

also says to disconnect whichever device (usb, ipod or mp3) you are not currently trying to listen to...........

Haven't hooked it up tonite due to not wanting to dig out my buried drill box that has my hole cutter in it but was reading over the instructions and found that. Not sure what firmware version I need or how to check that so time to read more.

19. Dec 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    epa4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    then thats what the updates are lol, mine didn't have those features, thats what I like about grom they keep improving the adapter.

20. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OK, hooked it up last nite. Hole ended up just like OP, Grom box fit behind wiring loom behind stereo with zip tie sitting on it's edge with ports facing glove box. simply unhooked 3.5 & ipod cables from metra adapter, plugged in usb & those 2 on the grom box, plugged into the back of the stereo & done. Works like a charm with the exception of mp3/ipod having to be controlled from itself vs. stereo controls doing it. The stereo does control the important part, the flash drive. All sound levels match cd & am/fm volume. Switches from one input source to another just as instructions said. Sound quality from flash drive is superior to aux & ipod sounds better running it off 3.5mm into the headphone jack for some reason which is OK because I'll be using an ipod nano which only has the 3.5 hole on it. All good, I can even play 16gb worth of music off the microSD in my NV3 verizon phone with it's 2.5 - 3.5mm headphone adapter. It's sounds just as good as flash drive or ipod too. Great stuff, highly recommend for anyone clinging to a factory stereo. Mine is the older non-voodoo one & have blown out too much of my hearing in the last 40 yrs of listening to music too loud to need any hi pwr stuff, so as long as factory covers road/wind noise then I'm OK with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top