Notices

Dnx 5140

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
jayranger is on a distinguished road

Army: SSG
Name: Jay
jayranger's Tacoma Gallery
Dnx 5140

Just bought it last night. Waiting on Tacotunes kit to come in for install, to put it in this weekend. Anyone else have this installed? Was it easy install? Did it do the factory speakers and justice? Should I plan on getting new speakers next? Just a few questions as I wait on Tacotunes to send me the double Din dash kit. Oh another question. I am trying to bypass using the front Aux jack for my Sirius and trying to utilize one of the Ipod connections instead. If I just utilize the USB connection with my IPOD adapator will it work OK or does the Ipod require the usb and both the other to plugs ?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #2

Does anyone have this unit at all? Makes me nervous that no one has replied LOL Makes me think no one has it and I am scared that I bought it now....
Old 07-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting the 5140 soon and from what my friend who knows his head units this thing is tight. He said the 5120 and 5140 are the same parts but the upgrade's in the software and the 5140 is worth every penny. Sorry I can't help on the install, not there yet but let me know how it goes.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

I have a plug and play Sirius and have to use the Aux connection for. I will let you know how the install goes. Hopefully Tacotunes shipped, like they said they did, Wednesday morning and I should have my stuff Saturday afternoon and ic an have it in that evening.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
btacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
btacoma's Tacoma Gallery
well when you get install lets us know how it works. i want to get the 7140 but a little to much so i was thinking about the 5140 heard alot of good reviews and an easy install. good luck
Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #6

Unfortunately it looks like I did not get the dash kit today so.... No install this weekend. I will update when I get it in.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
dreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to behold

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
I have the DNX-5120 and I like it a lot.

As for Tacotunes, don't hold your breath or put off planning other things for your weekends.... Could be a week, could be a month. The run around is standard practice with those guys. Total flakes.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #8

Just had to contact them AGAIN! Third contact with them 3rd time they said it is going to be shipped tomorrow. These guys are ridiculous! At least I paid with PAYPAL and can file a complaint and get my money back.

NO ONE USE TACOTUNES! I can not think of what else I could do? I have tried 3 times?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #9

Ok so I got it installed tonight. Really easy to throw in there. Now I need the rest of the night to figure out how to run the thing Seems pretty solid in there for the time being. Did not need any of the the extra trim pieces though, of course none of them actually would allow it to fit with the dash kit.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
got pictures. I did mine and have these ugly spaces around it, doesn't seem it fits real well. I used a metra kit. what did you use?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #11

btacoma's Tacoma Gallery
post some pics thats the deck im planning on geting
Old 08-01-2009, 05:18 AM   #12

Ok Here they are. I used the Scoshe bracket no problems from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Dnx 5140-p1000394.jpg   Dnx 5140-p1000395.jpg  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #13

btacoma's Tacoma Gallery
nice!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #14

OK anyone else have one of these and have a problem with the IPOD? The IPOD is connected and is playing but I have lost all control of the IPOD on my touch screen. I made sure everything was still connected in the back of the unit.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
dreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to behold

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayranger View Post
OK anyone else have one of these and have a problem with the IPOD? The IPOD is connected and is playing but I have lost all control of the IPOD on my touch screen. I made sure everything was still connected in the back of the unit.
On occasion, I will lose control/connection to my iPOD with my 5120. When this happens, I have to reset the ipod. Resetting the 5120, doesn't seem to revive it leading me to believe it was the ipod, not the HU.

First, try resettig your HU. If that fixes it, it's obviously the HU. Based on my experiences it's probably the ipod.

I disconnect the ipod, and do the forceful reset. (hold center button and stop button at the same time for about 10 seconds) (maybe center + menu, can't remember).

Anyways, my ipod used to do that on occasion anyways...so no surprise.

2nd side-effect of this issue is that you turn off your truck and come back to find the ipod completely dead. This happens with it's locked up on shutdown. The ipod stays on after the HU has turned off. After driving around for about 5 minutes, the ipod will come back. Or...you can remove it and charge it by normal means.

I run into these problems about once a month.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #16

Yeah, I got into my truck this morning and it all worked fine again.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #17
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayranger View Post
Yeah, I got into my truck this morning and it all worked fine again.
I believe you need to get your unit updated, I had a problem with my DNX5120 and it got solved with an update. I see your deck listed so follow the links and upload the update, most likely will fix your issue.

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/index.html

Good luck,

Rob
Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #18

Yeah mine is already updated. Thanks though for the info.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like I made a good purchase! I just picked this unit up tonight for $400 bucks!! Heck yeah! What a deal!

One question, can I have the unit display GPS mode all of the time while listening to music?? I love you watch my actual speed on my current Garmin GPS device.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmflyfisher View Post
Looks like I made a good purchase! I just picked this unit up tonight for $400 bucks!! Heck yeah! What a deal!

One question, can I have the unit display GPS mode all of the time while listening to music?? I love you watch my actual speed on my current Garmin GPS device.
You sure can, just choose your source and then switch to GPS and your sound will remain the same. The GPS speed and elevation are found on the GPS info page. It's also cool to watch when you're going up an elevation to see how fast you're rising! Way cool, I did this recently on a road trip.

Have fun!

Rob