Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

sound dampening for doors

Old 07-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sound dampening for doors

installing my new system tomorrow, and didnt have money for raam mat or dynamat......so i picked up 2 packs(6 in a pack) of these......

http://www.goferauto.com/fbe-116.html

what parts of the inner door are best to put the q pads?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
GoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to allGoBlueFan is a name known to all

Air Force: Load Toad (462/2W1)
Name: Jon
GoBlueFan's Tacoma Gallery
I'd put one behind where the speaker goes, three more centrally located on the largest panel. The remaining two I'd put on the inside panel to help reduce any resonance there. If you can't fit three on the inner surface, do two, and put three on the inside panel. Use any pieces you cut or trim off, you are just adding weight to the metal to change its resonance.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueFan View Post
I'd put one behind where the speaker goes, three more centrally located on the largest panel. The remaining two I'd put on the inside panel to help reduce any resonance there. If you can't fit three on the inner surface, do two, and put three on the inside panel. Use any pieces you cut or trim off, you are just adding weight to the metal to change its resonance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
X2!
Any little bit helps! So if you have any left over mat left over, stick it up in the door! Don't waste any part of it.
ok.....thanks for the responses.

so..........can this stuff go over the vapor barrier instead of going inside the door and have the same effect? never done this kind of thing before(im more mechanical than anything else). all together...i have 12 sheets of it, so im hoping its enough for my 4 doors.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Best Hack I Know
KAPendley is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant, 63B...Honorable Discharge
Name: Andy
KAPendley's Tacoma Gallery
If you get a chance to do more, I HIGHLY recommend Second Skin. It is my sound deadener of choice and the only one I carried in my old store. Very reasonably priced and much thicker than Dynamat.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

Not to mention Ant...the owner, is a GREAT guy!!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPendley View Post
If you get a chance to do more, I HIGHLY recommend Second Skin. It is my sound deadener of choice and the only one I carried in my old store. Very reasonably priced and much thicker than Dynamat.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

Not to mention Ant...the owner, is a GREAT guy!!
thanks for the heads up. this stuff that i got is actually around 3/16th's of an inch thick....should do pretty well i would think.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
You know what works great? Get a role of foam tape from an HVAC/R supply or a hardware store and make a gasket between the outside of your speaker and the plastic ring on the inside of your door panel and that will do EXACTLY the same thing and cost practically nothing.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
if you are on a tight budget go to home depot or lowes and get some roofing stuff, it comes in a roll. Like Blue says you just want to change the resonance. From what I understand the idea of the raammat, second skin, and the other stuff is a take off from the original roofing product. Better than nothing, I think it is cheaper as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Best Hack I Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
if you are on a tight budget go to home depot or lowes and get some roofing stuff, it comes in a roll. Like Blue says you just want to change the resonance. From what I understand the idea of the raammat, second skin, and the other stuff is a take off from the original roofing product. Better than nothing, I think it is cheaper as well.
Roofing material is asphalt based. It is a HORRIBLE alternative because it will peel off. Eventually.

Second skin, Dynamat, and others like that are Butyl based, so the adhesion is a 100 times greater!! I have used asphalt based deadener before, and learned from those mistakes.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Peel and Seal is the roofing stuff. It works in a pinch, but as said, it will eventually delaminate. Also, there is some odor associated with it that is not present in butyl products.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #11

did my install yesterday..........sound deadening included. i used these.......

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=50

as these were in the little bit of budget i had left. seem to have worked pretty good too.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Best Hack I Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
did my install yesterday..........sound deadening included. i used these.......

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=50

as these were in the little bit of budget i had left. seem to have worked pretty good too.
Evercoat makes great products, so Im not knocking what you used at all Will. Please don't take my suggestions as saying what you used is shit. Hopefully it was not interpreted that way. Believe me, when it comes to a budget, noone understands like those that are unemployed...namely...me. LOL.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPendley View Post
Evercoat makes great products, so Im not knocking what you used at all Will. Please don't take my suggestions as saying what you used is shit. Hopefully it was not interpreted that way. Believe me, when it comes to a budget, noone understands like those that are unemployed...namely...me. LOL.
none taken man. if i could have afforded second skin....i definitely woulda done that or raammat....but i think these q pads should work decently at least.