1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTF is this symbol? (electrical)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BeachBoy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I am reading the wiring diagrams, and there is a symbol of a square wave.. I can't find anywhere where it says what this symbol means.

Here is an example:

check in the blue box on page 2, left of the IC. There are resistors and capacitors, but nowhere I can find what the heck is the square wave symbol... Thanks

2. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
  3. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    I was thinking thermal fuse

4. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    bigyetti

bigyetti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    asheville, nc
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 short bed
    sirius satilite radio, more on the way when i get more money. oh ya removed the secondary filter
    fusible link maybe ? not sure just guessing. good luck

5. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    Stu is correct, it is a thermal fuse or switch. In a proper diagram, the opening temp would be shown on one leg of the circuit. Most power window circuits will actually have the thermal fuse internal to the motors and not shown.

6. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    ok, I can't find it on the PCB and why would this be on the window control? It cannot be in a motor, and it's not in the relay

Also, if you look at the bottom picture, what is the RA (on the right, beside the relay)? It looks like it's only a wide connector but it has to have a function or it would be simply linked together on the board... This could be a heat sink??

[​IMG]

7. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    edit: I have added a thumbnail.

8. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Could the RA in the diagram be a thermal fuse? It's quite a big piece of metal, but it has no use if it's only to link two parts of the board.. unless it acts as a fuse.

9. Aug 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    RA could be the thermal, I h8 referencing a wiring diagram to a board, a schematic is WAY better! You could ohm Ra it should be about 100 ohms. Right? Brown, Black, Black, Black?

10. Aug 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    On that same page, the same symbol is for "Resistor - non inductive"

[​IMG]

11. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    i know exactly what it is, just by looking at the schematic it is a very low resistance 1 ohm to be exact and when the window motor sees a load such as when the window reaches the top, the current through the motor will spike and cause voltage to go high across that 1 ohm resistor. the IC is reading voltage across that resistor and triggers the coil that holds the auto switch on to deactivate cutting power to the motor.
    i believe in a more technical term that would be referred to as a shunt.
    and its obvious looking at the diagram that all the power for the motor has to pass through that shunt. there is no other reason to have a small value resistor inline with somthing like a motor. they put it there because otherwise there would be no way to detect the current spike. its sort of the weak link in the circuit whos resistant is low enough that it wont affect the speed of the motor but under load will show a large spike in voltage across it.

12. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    wow, thanks for the input.

I was looking into connecting the pass side on the same IC and then simply manage the output (drivers vs passenger) depending on which relay started first.

13. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    if i were you i would put that board back in your truck and put it all back together, just accept the fact you have manuel windows on the pass side and live with it before you end up going to toyota to replace the smoked board. i would be willing to bet that will cost at least 200 bucks to replace.
    the only way to make that work would take some extensive rework and you would also need another switch like the drivers side has that incorporates the activation switch. your going to spend a lot of time getting nowhere. you would be better off buying a window roll up module from DEI and using the factory switches to activate that and scrap the electronics on that board all together.
    i could do it because i have about 20 years of install and electronics behind me.

14. Aug 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    I have spares to play with, I am not touching my own modules, and yes they are expensive but you can get a ton for about $30 on ebay.

I might just put the 4runner auto down drivers and passenger, at least I'll have auto down (but not up). My old mercedes had auto up and down on all 4 windows!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Aug 2, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I'm not positive but I think that means Wiring is no hobby Stop fucking with electric or you will die.But Like I said im not sure.

16. Aug 2, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It's fun to fuck with when you know what you are doing.

Products Discussed in

To Top