1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

speaker baffles

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by cbcs1987, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 [OP] Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    if i put aftermarket 6x9 in my truck is it necessary to get some speaker baffles for it?

2. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    what does the manufacturer say? If you want it to sound the way it should, it would be a good idea to install a baffle with the manufacturers recomended airspace.

3. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    cbcs1987

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    not sure but ill find out. i just thought you only needed them to fit 6.5" speakers up front. thanks for the heads up. i'll find out.

4. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    According to Mr.Marv, for proper installation for the speakers the baffle would be required. It makes sense. He custom makes every baffle for your specific applications.

5. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    It's not absolutely necessary, but for best sound quality... it would help.:)

6. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I was wondering this as well. If I am putting in 6x9's up front and 5.5's in the rear, do I really need baffles. I'm not looking for show quality sound. Hell, I'm running with the stock HU.

Are baffles really necessary for a sound improvement (over stock)?

They are not the best quality speaker either but I want better sound than stock.

7. Aug 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    KAPendley

KAPendley Best Hack I Know

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Shaved, Lowered,Airbrushed (some)
    A baffle is just a mounting structure, not neccessarily an enclosure. :D

Is the factory provision a 6x9? If not, then you will have to cut the door either way right? Baffles are normally used if you need space because there is not enough depth for your newer speakers. Its not necessary, as long as the speaker is secured and solid. If it resonates, a baffle will not stop it, only sound deadener will, or some type of material to control the resonation. It's a matter of preference, not a have to.

Your doors are going to be an infinite baffle anyway, meaning that it's not an enclosure. And since the door is not really the best place for sound quality anyway, you arent going to lose anything if you dont use a baffle. The hole in the door is your baffle. lol. Get it?

Anyway, this is just one old car stereo shop owners opinion. I have done it with, (and only when I had to, to accomodate a new speaker) and without.........the only audible difference is with or without sound deadener.

8. Aug 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    You will need a baffle no matter what. The factory "6x9" is permanently mounted to the factory baffle itself. Once you remove it, there will be a huge hole there so you will have to make (or purchase) some baffles. I just made a pair last week out of some MDF that I had laying around.

[​IMG]

You will def want to go with a 6.5" speaker too. Not even sure if you could make a baffle work with a 6x9 in a 05+ tacoma. The 6.5 will produce sound much better than a 6x9 will. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

9. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    KAPendley

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Sorry, lol. There wasn't very many newer tacomas in ole Morganton, NC. That's where my shop was. Not any that ventured into my store anyway.

If possible, and Im not knocking you wm, I would not make them out of MDF. MDF covered in paint, fiberglass, or bedliner either. MDF exposed too mother nature WILL fail, eventually. MDF that is covered may take years, but it will fail. Moisture will find a way in and turn it into mush. MDF that is NOT protected with one of the above will fail in the next big rain storm. It just cannot hold up to moisture. ABS, Birch (still protected), or aluminum (expensive) are better options.

10. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    VERY good point! I forgot to mention that. Just had some laying around and got bored. You are correct though :)

11. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM
    KAPendley

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    I don't blame you bro. The good thing about tacos is they are still easy to disassemble if you ever upgrade the MDF. I would want those ID's in quick too!!!:D

12. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    So a new 6.5 will not work without a baffle?

And the point of a baffle is to increase the backspace so the magnet does not touch the back side of the door?

Sorry...I'm still trying to grasp everything :eek:

13. Aug 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    I'll try my hand at explaining this. The baffle is the same as an adapter, it's needed to simply mount the speaker properly. There are 4 mounting points on the front two speakers and 3 mounting points on the rear. I'll use a decent analogy, think of a 5 lug hub, then think of a 6 lug wheel. It will not mount up, but an adapter with 5 holes and 6 bolts would allow you to mount the adapter to the hub (5 on 5) and then the new wheel onto the adapter (6 on 6).

Don't think baffle or enclosure, strip down the thinking and it's simply just mounting points, with a mounting baffle installed, it matches up with the exisiting mounting points on the door, then with a hole cut out to fit your new speaker you can pretty much use a wide array of bolt patterns because you'll have a so-called infinite options with no predetermined holes in the baffle.

I probably confused you more but it's very apparant when you remove the stock speaker and look at different baffles.

I'd suggest you look at Mr. Marv's post for installing in a 2005+ Tacoma, it's a sticky in the forum and the pictures will explain it. Or give him a call, he'll make exactly what you need!

Rob

14. Aug 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    cbcs1987

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    A 6.5 will produce more sound than a 6x9? Do you mean just a regular 6.5 speakers or 6.5 componet speakers? I dont have the money for componets... simply getting a little bit better sound than stock. Thanks for the help!

15. Aug 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    The truck is set up to have components, so I'd definitely recommend a set of decent components, you can certainly find some that are affordable and I would not recommend just coaxils, cause that wouldn't produce a very good system.

A 6.5" speaker will sound better but a 6x9 will provide more bass due to the volume of air it moves, but you want quality not quantity so go with a decent brand of components. It will be well worth the money spent!

Rob

16. Aug 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Thanks 09'er...your explanation was very clear!

I also spoke with Marv today and he is setting me up with the proper baffles for installation. I'm running with the stock HU and understand it won't be the greatest setup but it's going to be better than stock. That's all that matters.

17. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    KAPendley

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    FTR, there are companies (ie; Image Dynamics, Memphis) that make 6x9 components. They will for sure be louder, but a round speaker is better IMO...Just a personal preference.

Products Discussed in

To Top