Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

speaker baffles

Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
speaker baffles

if i put aftermarket 6x9 in my truck is it necessary to get some speaker baffles for it?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rudbwoy7s's Tacoma Gallery
what does the manufacturer say? If you want it to sound the way it should, it would be a good idea to install a baffle with the manufacturers recomended airspace.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

not sure but ill find out. i just thought you only needed them to fit 6.5" speakers up front. thanks for the heads up. i'll find out.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
According to Mr.Marv, for proper installation for the speakers the baffle would be required. It makes sense. He custom makes every baffle for your specific applications.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
It's not absolutely necessary, but for best sound quality... it would help.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering this as well. If I am putting in 6x9's up front and 5.5's in the rear, do I really need baffles. I'm not looking for show quality sound. Hell, I'm running with the stock HU.

Are baffles really necessary for a sound improvement (over stock)?

They are not the best quality speaker either but I want better sound than stock.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Best Hack I Know
KAPendley is on a distinguished road

Army: Sergeant, 63B...Honorable Discharge
Name: Andy
KAPendley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbwoy7s View Post
what does the manufacturer say? If you want it to sound the way it should, it would be a good idea to install a baffle with the manufacturers recomended airspace.
A baffle is just a mounting structure, not neccessarily an enclosure.

Is the factory provision a 6x9? If not, then you will have to cut the door either way right? Baffles are normally used if you need space because there is not enough depth for your newer speakers. Its not necessary, as long as the speaker is secured and solid. If it resonates, a baffle will not stop it, only sound deadener will, or some type of material to control the resonation. It's a matter of preference, not a have to.

Your doors are going to be an infinite baffle anyway, meaning that it's not an enclosure. And since the door is not really the best place for sound quality anyway, you arent going to lose anything if you dont use a baffle. The hole in the door is your baffle. lol. Get it?

Anyway, this is just one old car stereo shop owners opinion. I have done it with, (and only when I had to, to accomodate a new speaker) and without.........the only audible difference is with or without sound deadener.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
You will need a baffle no matter what. The factory "6x9" is permanently mounted to the factory baffle itself. Once you remove it, there will be a huge hole there so you will have to make (or purchase) some baffles. I just made a pair last week out of some MDF that I had laying around.

You will def want to go with a 6.5" speaker too. Not even sure if you could make a baffle work with a 6x9 in a 05+ tacoma. The 6.5 will produce sound much better than a 6x9 will. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Best Hack I Know

Sorry, lol. There wasn't very many newer tacomas in ole Morganton, NC. That's where my shop was. Not any that ventured into my store anyway.

If possible, and Im not knocking you wm, I would not make them out of MDF. MDF covered in paint, fiberglass, or bedliner either. MDF exposed too mother nature WILL fail, eventually. MDF that is covered may take years, but it will fail. Moisture will find a way in and turn it into mush. MDF that is NOT protected with one of the above will fail in the next big rain storm. It just cannot hold up to moisture. ABS, Birch (still protected), or aluminum (expensive) are better options.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPendley View Post
Sorry, lol. There wasn't very many newer tacomas in ole Morganton, NC. That's where my shop was. Not any that ventured into my store anyway.

If possible, and Im not knocking you wm, I would not make them out of MDF. MDF covered in paint, fiberglass, or bedliner either. MDF exposed too mother nature WILL fail, eventually. MDF that is covered may take years, but it will fail. Moisture will find a way in and turn it into mush. MDF that is NOT protected with one of the above will fail in the next big rain storm. It just cannot hold up to moisture. ABS, Birch (still protected), or aluminum (expensive) are better options.
VERY good point! I forgot to mention that. Just had some laying around and got bored. You are correct though
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Best Hack I Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmflyfisher View Post
VERY good point! I forgot to mention that. Just had some laying around and got bored. You are correct though
I don't blame you bro. The good thing about tacos is they are still easy to disassemble if you ever upgrade the MDF. I would want those ID's in quick too!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #12
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So a new 6.5 will not work without a baffle?

And the point of a baffle is to increase the backspace so the magnet does not touch the back side of the door?

Sorry...I'm still trying to grasp everything
Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
So a new 6.5 will not work without a baffle?

And the point of a baffle is to increase the backspace so the magnet does not touch the back side of the door?

Sorry...I'm still trying to grasp everything
I'll try my hand at explaining this. The baffle is the same as an adapter, it's needed to simply mount the speaker properly. There are 4 mounting points on the front two speakers and 3 mounting points on the rear. I'll use a decent analogy, think of a 5 lug hub, then think of a 6 lug wheel. It will not mount up, but an adapter with 5 holes and 6 bolts would allow you to mount the adapter to the hub (5 on 5) and then the new wheel onto the adapter (6 on 6).

Don't think baffle or enclosure, strip down the thinking and it's simply just mounting points, with a mounting baffle installed, it matches up with the exisiting mounting points on the door, then with a hole cut out to fit your new speaker you can pretty much use a wide array of bolt patterns because you'll have a so-called infinite options with no predetermined holes in the baffle.

I probably confused you more but it's very apparant when you remove the stock speaker and look at different baffles.

I'd suggest you look at Mr. Marv's post for installing in a 2005+ Tacoma, it's a sticky in the forum and the pictures will explain it. Or give him a call, he'll make exactly what you need!

Rob
Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
Redneck from the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmflyfisher View Post

You will def want to go with a 6.5" speaker too. Not even sure if you could make a baffle work with a 6x9 in a 05+ tacoma. The 6.5 will produce sound much better than a 6x9 will. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
A 6.5 will produce more sound than a 6x9? Do you mean just a regular 6.5 speakers or 6.5 componet speakers? I dont have the money for componets... simply getting a little bit better sound than stock. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
romeo oscar bravo
zero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nicezero niner is just really nice

Name: Rob
zero niner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcs1987 View Post
A 6.5 will produce more sound than a 6x9? Do you mean just a regular 6.5 speakers or 6.5 componet speakers? I dont have the money for componets... simply getting a little bit better sound than stock. Thanks for the help!
The truck is set up to have components, so I'd definitely recommend a set of decent components, you can certainly find some that are affordable and I would not recommend just coaxils, cause that wouldn't produce a very good system.

A 6.5" speaker will sound better but a 6x9 will provide more bass due to the volume of air it moves, but you want quality not quantity so go with a decent brand of components. It will be well worth the money spent!

Rob
Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
bass turds

Thanks 09'er...your explanation was very clear!

I also spoke with Marv today and he is setting me up with the proper baffles for installation. I'm running with the stock HU and understand it won't be the greatest setup but it's going to be better than stock. That's all that matters.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
Best Hack I Know

FTR, there are companies (ie; Image Dynamics, Memphis) that make 6x9 components. They will for sure be louder, but a round speaker is better IMO...Just a personal preference.