Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

USA Spec PA15 TOY iPod interface Install and Question

Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
jackal419 is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantry Officer
jackal419's Tacoma Gallery
USA Spec PA15 TOY iPod interface Install and Question

After looking at the iPod interface threads throughout the forum I decided to take the plunge (albiet a small one) and order a PA-15 TOY kit. I looked around the site and found a number of threads that were super helpful. I'm very happy with how it came out. Save one small detail: It seems like its draining my Taco's battery when I'm not there. Even without an iPod connected. I came out this morning to head into work and my truck would only start if I attempted to start, returned to the aux and then pushed the ignition again. Has anyone else had battery drain issues with their PA15?

Among the helpful threads:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...ck-stereo.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sole-pics.html

Great YouTube Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8Z5pCZGjU

Before the install:

After (i stole DMB's idea for drilling a hole but came from the rear instead of the side to increase the ease of use with my iPhone):

Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I havent had any issues with mine. Maybe you should contact USA Spec.?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
jackal419 is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantry Officer
jackal419's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, it might be something else as I got the truck wet the week prior. But its just strange that the issue arose on the same day I installed the PA15. If it persists tomorrow I'll give USA SPEC a call.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

Air Force: Metal's Tech
dmb's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome man! Very clean install. I haven't noticed any battery drain with mine. My iPod will shut down completely after about an hour. One thing I have noticed is when mine starts back up it always have shuffle on. Gets annoying after a while lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
cajuntacoma83 is on a distinguished road
cajuntacoma83's Tacoma Gallery
Same here guy. I've had no problems with battery draining after install. However, on a separate note, my clock display has gone out, and my airbag sensor is constantly lit now. I think it's because the cables that came with PA-15TOY only installed one way and it forced me to leave out one of the factory cables. Anybody else have this problem and how did you fix it? I have the 6-disc CD changer.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I have the six disc changer. One of the factory plugs plugs into the adapter and then the adapter plug goes into the radio. I have had none of these issues and I have had mine for over 2 years installed. I doubt the above issues are anything to do with the USA Spec. You can always disconnect ther adapter and leave it be for an hour or so. Then re-attach. I would also disconnect the battery for an hour at the same time and see of this fixes the issues. If not, contact USA Spec. Also, I never leave my ipod connected.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
AUX

does the PA15 allow for AUX input also? i have a Droid phone and i'm thinking about installing this.

Does anyone use it with AUX only and not Ipod?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone used one of these on an 09 with the xm/jbl?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Has anyone used one of these on an 09 with the xm/jbl?
2010 XM/JBL. See other thread.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
2010 XM/JBL. See other thread.
Other thread?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Other thread?
The other you posted in but no worries.

I have a 2010 JBL/SAT. The USA unit plugs into the CD changer port so you keep the AUX input and SAT. The steering wheel controls control the unit. Track up, track down, cd up and cd down.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Ban Pending

Quote:
The other you posted in but no worries.

I have a 2010 JBL/SAT. The USA unit plugs into the CD changer port so you keep the AUX input and SAT. The steering wheel controls control the unit. Track up, track down, cd up and cd down.
Cool thanks!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Cool thanks!
NP. Check ebay for them. I paid $120 shipped instead of full retail. Any other questions just PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Ban Pending

Quote:
NP. Check ebay for them. I paid $120 shipped instead of full retail. Any other questions just PM.
Cool - I may pop for the 35 - bluetooth audio for 150 delivered. Thanks again
Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
angelaf665 is on a distinguished road
Army: Helicopter Mechanic
Name: AC
angelaf665's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal419 View Post
After looking at the iPod interface threads throughout the forum I decided to take the plunge (albiet a small one) and order a PA-15 TOY kit. I looked around the site and found a number of threads that were super helpful. I'm very happy with how it came out. Save one small detail: It seems like its draining my Taco's battery when I'm not there. Even without an iPod connected. I came out this morning to head into work and my truck would only start if I attempted to start, returned to the aux and then pushed the ignition again. Has anyone else had battery drain issues with their PA15?

Among the helpful threads:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...ck-stereo.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sole-pics.html

Great YouTube Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8Z5pCZGjU

Before the install:

After (i stole DMB's idea for drilling a hole but came from the rear instead of the side to increase the ease of use with my iPhone):

Are you still able to play CDs when not using your aux audio device? Also, can this device be used with my Droid X2? If not, any suggestions for a product that will allow me to use my Droid with my radio - other than an FM transmitter? Thanks! Oh, one more thing: Great instructional video, music, and photos! Thanks for posting.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf665 View Post
Are you still able to play CDs when not using your aux audio device? Also, can this device be used with my Droid X2? If not, any suggestions for a product that will allow me to use my Droid with my radio - other than an FM transmitter? Thanks! Oh, one more thing: Great instructional video, music, and photos! Thanks for posting.
This is an ipod/iphone device. There is nothing that is Droid ready. You have an AUX input option from Grom Audio for like $40.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Thanks for the response and info, Christian. I certainly appreciate that you took the time to provide it.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
Grom Audio Interface Adapter

I just installed the GROM U2i.2-TOY (although I ordered TOYU2) in an effort to play music via my Droid X2. It works great with an mp3 player and a USB memory stick, but not with the Droid X2. The Grom techs say it should work with only the Droid USB cable attached in USB mode, but this unit is not working. If you're looking for an interface adapter to play music from your Droid, be sure to thoroughly explore the gromaudio site and find and consider the one identified as
Toyota Scion Lexus 1998-2012 GROM USB Android car interface adapter(GROM-AND2-TOY). Find it here:http://gromaudio.com/store/android_adapters/toyota_lexus_scion_1998-2012_usb_android_adapter_direct_digital_interface. html.
Grom tech support provided short video to clarify the written instructions for switching modes on your radio in order to play music from your Android. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkIsT...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
pnwrider42 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
pnwrider42's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody discovered issues with the PA15-TOY recognizing the iPhone 4S? It recognizes and plays from the original iPod, iPhone 3, and the iPhone 4, but when I plug in my own IPhone 4S, the "CD Open" message is displayed. However, it does charge my iPhone 4S when plugged in... Any ideas?