1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aux Input adapter for 2008 Tacoma OEM radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dd9293, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Jan 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    dd9293

dd9293 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 extra cab
    I have been looking for some information on the OEM radios and I believe that it is A Pioneer
    It has the IP Dat connector on the back of it - but from what infromation I can get , Toyota has had Pioneer modify it so their Aux and Ipod adapters do not work
    I am using a direct FM kit at the radio - but it is only FM quality
    If I can find an adapter that works it could be CD quality
    I am trying to do this without changing the radio - becuse it does very well with CD's and i would like to keep the original look to the dask
    Does anyone have any info on these radio's - are they the same as the 2007 OEM's? do you know of any adaperters that will work with it

2. Jan 2, 2008 at 4:18 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
  3. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:31 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i am getting an auxiliary system installed in my 07 that is that same as what i have in an 02 sequoia. it is still an fm system, but it gets built in behind your dash, and when you flip a switch and set your radio to a pre-determined station (one that is not used in your area) it links the speakers to your radio, but this time it is hard wired into the radio, which will illuminate the static. I'm more of a mechanical guy, so i probably didn't do the greatest job of explaining that. i usually leave installations like that to the pros. i don't know where oyu live, but if you have a Tweeter Store near you, they are fantastic. if not, best buy can also do it.

4. Jan 8, 2008 at 5:38 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I am not sure why you would want to install an FM system when some of these other hard-wired solutions are so cheap. The hard-wired is always going to get you better quality sound. But I guess if you already have it in your Sequoia then it must work good enough.

5. Jan 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    it is a hard wire...i just had it done through the existing fm channel because it was cheaper. for the unit and install together, it only ran me $70. that included the unit, a switch to engage the system, and an auxiliary cable to hook up to my ipod (or any other device with a headphone jack)

sorry about the confusion, i'm not the greatest at explaining that kind of stuff.

6. Feb 25, 2008 at 12:11 AM
    calyork2

calyork2 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD-Off Road 4x2 Access Cab V6 Auto
    Can someone tell me how to install the USA-SPEC PA12 toy on a tacoma 08 through the glovebox that is without changing the OEM stereo? I don't have an ipod but have another MP3 player...does that mean I have to buy an additional aux plug to connect it to my MP3 player?

7. Feb 25, 2008 at 1:04 AM
    gdub

gdub Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    check out this sight. I installed a Sirius with one extra aux port to the factory JBL. Sirius is displayed when you push the AM button twice.
    http://www.tss-radio.com/

Give them a call (Real nice people)

8. Sep 25, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    the fm way doesn't change any of the stock wireing, and for people who are anal or are worried about it when they turn the vehilce in on their lease that might be a better option... i've always just put in a aftermarket stereo, you can usually adjust the eq more than the factory radios:bananadance:

9. May 4, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Zeggy00

Zeggy00 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab w/ non JBL 6 disc
    Where can you buy the Metra AIPTY02ID now? I have seen that most people are buying it from Circuit City but they went out of business. I have a 2007 Tacoma with the non JBL 6 disc changer. Any info would be appreciated.

10. May 4, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    Zeggy00

Zeggy00 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I was also told by a guy at metraonline.com that the metra AIP-TY02-ID is not compatible with the Factory Tacoma 6 disc radio. Is this correct or does it work. From what I have read it seems to be working for people with the same config.

11. May 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Open the dash up...Match the plugs from the USA SPEC kit to the proper slot in the back. Plug that wire into the USA SPEC Unit- Find a place to put the unit...and then plug whatever you'd like into the RCA inputs or iPod cables.

You will need to get a cable that will plug from your headphone jack on the MP3 player and into RCA inputs on the USA SPEC unit.

The USA SPEC doesn't make any permanent changes to the stock wiring either. It plugs into the changer spot on the back of the stock radio...and that's it.

12. May 4, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Bummer! I did some searching and it seems that since Circuit City closed it is very hard to find these. There are alternatives although they usually cost quite a bit more. I use the metra AIP-TY02-ID with my 07 factory 6 disc unit with no problems.

13. May 4, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    Zeggy00

Zeggy00 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well I may end up buying one then. The guy just told me it was not compatible so I wasnt sure. From what I read on here most people are using the metra AIPTY02ID with the same factory 6 disc stereo that I have. Just wanted to double check. Thanks again.

14. May 8, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    Zeggy00

Zeggy00 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Rhoppas... Just for the record, I received my AIP-TY02-ID today. Ran home over lunch and installed it. Took about 20 minutes and works great. Just for the record the metraonline.com tech support is full of shit since they said it was not compatible with the '07 tacoma 6 disc changer non JBL.... Go figure. Also thanks for your input.

15. May 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear it Zeggy! I don't know why they keep confusing people like that. There are many people on this site using the Metra device with no issues. Go figure... :rolleyes:

16. Jan 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    Mike24066

Mike24066 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Lawrence ks
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Toyotec 3 1/2 lift
    I just called metra and they told me the adapter will not work unless I have satilite controls. I don't have satellite controls on my cd changer. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Products Discussed in

To Top