Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio (Cobra 29) Mod & Mount in Center Console

Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
CB Radio (Cobra 29) Mod & Mount in Center Console

I recently was given a Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB radio from a driver at work. Most of the veteran truck drivers at work have used the Cobra 29 Classic for over 20 years.

Here is my problem:
This radio is giant.

There really isn't anywhere to mount it where it can be hidden but still be accessible and functional when I need it. I have seen other people's solutions to mounting this radio, such as LonghornTaco mounting it behind the console and MonkeyProof mounting it inside the cup holders. Those are both great ideas, but I did not want my radio to take up any room in the cab (leg room) and I wanted my radio hidden from passengers. I don't want to cut up the cup holders and loose the use of them. And, most importantly, I need the radio in a spot where I can access it easily while driving. I really like Ccoorreeyy's idea of using the glove box, but the Cobra 29 is too large to fit.

Here is the solution I came up with:
I decided relocate the face of the radio in the center console and secure the body (main circuit board, housing and speaker) under the passenger seat.
This is accomplished by cutting the wires that connect the circuit board to the face plate and splicing in longer wires to bridge the gap between the passenger seat and the center console.

Here is how I did it:

Extending the faceplate wires
I took apart the radio and found over 40 wires connecting the faceplate to the body. This includes wires for the switches, dials, display and SWR meter gauge. I decided to use CAT5 ethernet cable because I had an old 500 ft spool setting around for a few years and each strand has 8 wires in it. In all it took me about 6 strands of the CAT5 cable.

So, I plugged in the soldering iron, turned on the Fox Saturday baseball (Dodgers vs. Cubs) and got to work. By the time the Dodgers had shut out the sorry Cubs I was almost finished.

So, over 80 solder connections later, I was finished with the toughest part. I immediately tested all functions of the radio to make sure everything worked. To my amazement everything worked. I must be lucky or good at soldering.

Mounting the Radio Housing

I removed the center console and passenger seat. I ran a power cable to the fuse block and ran my antenna cable.

I was able to fish the power cable under the carpet to where the shifter is and from there to the fuse block.

I was able to strap the radio down to the floor using zip ties connecting with some metal support braces under the carpet. Not very pretty, but no one will see it.

I mounted it with the speaker facing up. I will see if it is loud enough, if not I will get an external speaker at a later time.

Mounting the Faceplate
I cut a hole in the bottom of the center console to feed the wires through. Then I cut a new base plate for the console out of some plywood.

I covered it with some felt (to look pretty) and installed the faceplate in wood base plate. I added some wood blocks under the deck to provide the spacing I needed and while I was there I decided to add a 12v power source.

Here is the finished product

Below are 2 pictures with the seat slid all the way back.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Niiiiicccceee!!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
amazing~!!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
As an electronics junkie who has modded or repaired almost every type of small electronic device I've ever owned, I'm embarrassed that you beat me to this!

It looks Great! And you can bet that when I install my CB I'll be doing the same thing. I just might choose a different place for mounting the controls.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
kasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud of
kasey200's Tacoma Gallery
come do mine!! i have the same radio out of my last truck that sits in my garage because it doesn't fit anywhere in the Taco.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Just playin' on the runways
MT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of light

Army: SPC(CA), Installation Support Command JFTB Los Alamitos, California State Military Reserve
Name: Clint
MT_mudflaps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
come do mine!! i have the same radio out of my last truck that sits in my garage because it doesn't fit anywhere in the Taco.
Likewise, I have the exact same radio -- been wondering what to do with it! That's awesome!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
You wanna solder another for some cash! LMAO.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Holy Shiny, that's a bright face plate!

Nice work. When I saw you taking it apart, I was like... "Oh crap, here's a mod going south fast...", but you pulled it through. Looks tight.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
How much to just get a plug and play of that made? But wow, too much sodering for me, I would have just put the entire thing in the center console if it fit and if you weren't planning on using the space just my 2 pennies. You could relocate it to the dash somewhere and that would look SWEET!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent work!!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to add:

Here is how I ran the Coax antenna cable to the antenna.

Here is the grommet that I am going to use.

I pulled out the grommet and used a sharp tool to poke a hole into it.

I shoved my needle nose pliers through the hole.

And grabbed a hold of the wire.

Slide the grommet over the wire.

Finally put the grommet back into the hole.

Its water tight and you don't have to drill any holes in your truck. Now I ran the cable under the right rear door floor panel to the passenger seat. There is already a channel with wires under that floor panel with room for 1 more wire...
Old 08-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
damn good job you did with this mod man!!! very nice!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Just playin' on the runways
MT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of lightMT_mudflaps is a glorious beacon of light

Army: SPC(CA), Installation Support Command JFTB Los Alamitos, California State Military Reserve
Name: Clint
MT_mudflaps's Tacoma Gallery
Good to go!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #18
07prerunner91 is on a distinguished road

07prerunner91's Tacoma Gallery
Oh my god! that is some impressive work! you definitely have my respect!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #19
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work!

If I could do this install I would put a CB in my Tacoma.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Wow, Props. That's a lot of work. Almost all the modern amateur radios have remote mount faces its very convenient.