Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Amateur Radio Install

Old 08-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Amateur Radio Install

I saw someone posting some info about a CB Install and asking questions. So here's the alternative. I'm a licensed amateur operator and here is my Tacoma install. There are MANY benefits of amateur radio over CB that include much much much more range even on vhf/uhf frequencies with the use of repeaters. Internet linking of repeaters allowing talking around the world. It requires a test and has rules so its much more civilized. The first level test is actually pretty easy and only requires a few hours of studying. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about amateur radio. so heres the list.

Tranceiver: Kenwood TM-D700 Dual band 2m/440 50W/35W with built in TNC (allows automatic position reporting!)
Antenna: Diamond Super Gainer
Mount: NMO mount Fed with RG-8X coax
Speaker: MFJ

Here is the antenna mount called a NMO (New Motorola)

Here is the mount with antenna attached

Here is the whole antenna:

The Kenwood has a remote face plate. allows you to mount the radio elsewhere in the cab.

And finally the brains. The Radio body. mounted in the rear storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Amateur Radio Install-ham1.jpg   Amateur Radio Install-ham2.jpg   Amateur Radio Install-ham4.jpg   Amateur Radio Install-ham5.jpg   Amateur Radio Install-ham6.jpg  

Amateur Radio Install-ham3.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Hate to bump a waaay old thread but How hard was that set up to tune? I am going back and forth between that type of antenna and a mag base but i am leaning towards this type as i dont like to see wires. But i also dont want to punch a hole in my roof and then not be able to tune it.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
Hate to bump a waaay old thread but How hard was that set up to tune? I am going back and forth between that type of antenna and a mag base but i am leaning towards this type as i dont like to see wires. But i also dont want to punch a hole in my roof and then not be able to tune it.
There is no tuning with amateur radio antennas. They are specifically designed for the bands.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
*sigh of relief* I am taking my tech and general test this saturday. I have been F***ING with my cb antenna for like 4 months now and im sick of it! lol

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Navy:
Quote:
*sigh of relief* I am taking my tech and general test this saturday. I have been F***ING with my cb antenna for like 4 months now and im sick of it! lol

Thanks for the quick response.

No problem.... what radio you lookin at?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
One of the guys on here has a kenwood TM-271A i am thinking about but i would really rather go dual band but dont quite have the money that right now.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Navy:
Quote:
One of the guys on here has a kenwood TM-271A i am thinking about but i would really rather go dual band but dont quite have the money that right now.
Dont want to go dual band? If youre in the market for a single band you cant go wrong with the yaesu radios. If you want dual bandwith dual receive then i think you can do better than yaesu. remember the single band radios dont have remote mount faces like you see in my install above.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
No thats what im saying is the one he is selling is a single band, and i would much rather go dual but am looking for something dual band and affordable.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Navy:
Quote:
No thats what im saying is the one he is selling is a single band, and i would much rather go dual but am looking for something dual band and affordable.
For new the FT-7900R is the best option, but look on qth.com classifieds. You might find a FT-7900 or FT-7800 a bit cheaper.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man. i'd like to get my hands on a ic-2820h...
Old 04-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
looks good man. i'd like to get my hands on a ic-2820h...
These are actually old pictures. I have an IC-2820 with D-Star Module Installed now.

Not the best pix.

Attached Thumbnails
Amateur Radio Install-tn_p1030214.jpg   Amateur Radio Install-tn_p1030215.jpg   Amateur Radio Install-tn_p1030218.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
nice. yea i think thats the radio i want to get and get the gps antenna with it also.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #13

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
They make cb antennas for the NMO too right?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
yup
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #15

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
So i found a guy selling a New condition 7900R for 220 shipped. Good deal?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
how involved is the test?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #17

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Not very, We have been waaaayy slow at work and so with about 4 days of studying im ready for both the tech and general. Check out hamtestonline.com
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
its easier than I thought
Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #19
Navy:
Quote:
So i found a guy selling a New condition 7900R for 220 shipped. Good deal?

Yeah.. not bad at all.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #20

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
and that includes the remote mount kit.