1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dont Want To Change My Head Unit...But Want Better Sound!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by IrishPilot, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Just curious what you audiophiles would suggest. Im fine with the stock HU, and short of dvd-nav style screens, I dont usually like the look of many normal aftermarket HUs.

*Would some new speakers have a significant impact on the sound quality? (ie worth the expense)
    *Better off staying stock until Im willing to spend the money on a dvd-nav unit?

Im planning on ordering the USA Spec PA15-Toy to use with the iPod, and would really like to bump up the clarity and quality of the system.

Any advice, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Forgive my ignorance when it comes to audio upgrades.

2. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    stock speakers are junk. replace them and if that's not enough you can always go further

3. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    speakers would be a improvement
    but a headunit would be a huge improvement
    or atleast it was with me

4. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Aftermarket HU would be able to push out more watts to aftermarket speakers than a factory HU would. Replacing speakers while keeping factory HU would improve sound but it would do justice to what the speakers could potentially do with more power. Changing the HU and keeping the factory speakers is ok. the speakers will sound slightly better and you'll have the options on the HU. If you want better sound change both the Hu and speakers, you won't be disappointed.

5. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    dwzild

dwzild Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM 4x4 Sport DC LB
    Hoo-rah! Sticker, Front Bed-bolt D-rings, Bed Mat, Weathertech Floor Mats, Sirius, TACOMAWORLD Sticker, Bak-Flip F1
    Line your door panels with Dynomat or equivalent. I am planning on doing the same thing and keeping the factory HU. If, over time, you decide it's just not enough, you can always add a 4-channel amp and Re-Q. This will still allow you to utilize your factory HU and steering wheel controls, maintaining that stealthness.

http://www.reqsound.com/

6. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    OK...similar situation here. I am also NOT an audiophile and am not experienced with systems. But, I had 4 speakers left over from past projects (decent but older speakers ~ from 10 years ago). I spent $70 for the 4 baffles required to install aftermarket speakers (Mr.Marv) and installed the speakers. There is definitely MORE sound. I still don't have clean bass but the sound is more rich.

If I had paid for the 4 speakers (probably $120), I would not be satisfied with the investment (nearly $200 after baffles). However, when/if I upgrade my HU, I think the difference will be huge.
    Adding an amp and sub will also offer a great improvement for me.

This may also help:

7. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    Major

Major Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 V-6 Tacoma Crew TRD off-road
    Husky Liners, Predator Running Boards, Undercover, TRD air filter, TRD front skid plate, TRD front brake pads, tint, TRD bed mat, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, chrome grill cover
    I did what Dwzild recommends - kept factory HU, replaced speakers (Alpine 6X9 front and 6.5s in the rear) and added a 4 channel 50W Alpine amp and I have been very pleased. Much better sound and tons more volume. Good luck

8. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    dwzild

dwzild Well-Known Member

Member:
    Metairie, LA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM 4x4 Sport DC LB
    Hoo-rah! Sticker, Front Bed-bolt D-rings, Bed Mat, Weathertech Floor Mats, Sirius, TACOMAWORLD Sticker, Bak-Flip F1
    Did you use the Re-Q or JL Sweep? If not, did you just use line level inputs to your amp?

9. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Yeah if you want to keep your factory HU, I think something like the JL Sweep is the way to go. From what I gather, it will basically let you just use the factory HU as the source, while all of the processing will be done downstream of that, so you don't get the rolled off bass from the factory system at higher volume settings. Combine that with a good quality amp, speakers and some sound deadening in the doors and you should have a VERY noticeable improvement even if you don't want to add a sub for more low end extension and punch.

10. Sep 3, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    Major

Major Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 V-6 Tacoma Crew TRD off-road
    Husky Liners, Predator Running Boards, Undercover, TRD air filter, TRD front skid plate, TRD front brake pads, tint, TRD bed mat, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, chrome grill cover
    I just used line out converters to the amp - it worked for me as I wanted better sound and a bit louder but not way loud. I like it - fits what I needed perfectly. Some may want a bit more?

11. Sep 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Since your asking us "audiophiles", there is no substitute for an aftermarket head. By the time you pay for a Clean Sweep, RF 360 or ReQ, you sould have a BETTER head unit for the same price. IMO, switch out to a aftermarket H/U and be done with it. If you are even somewhat serious about sound, do it right the first time and try not to use an expensive "bandaid" to get it done. If your willing to cough up $200-$500 for a fancy LOC, message me and I think we can come up with a much better option using aftermarket. :)

12. Sep 4, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    After some research, it looks like my first change may be dynamat, raamat, second skin, etc. for the doors. Still trying to find which one of these best fits my budget and the best place to buy it. Any suggestions?

13. Sep 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I used Raammat. One roll was enough to to all four doors inside and out and the area behind the left rear passenger seat. They also have a Tacomaworld discount.

Inside (I two layers of Raammat behind the speaker area):
    [​IMG]

Aluminum flashing to cover the access holes.
    [​IMG]

Outside:
    [​IMG]

Ensolyte:
    [​IMG]

I have before and after recordings that I did in the cab of my truck so I could see if there was a perceptable difference. I uploaded two sound files with the same radio settings, one before and one after:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/19912-raammat-finished-2.html

I also did some screenshots of an audio program which shows the waveform of the two recordings before and after (all stereo settings and equipment was the same):
    [​IMG]

14. Sep 4, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    IrishPilot

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Definite volume improvement based on your clips! How much did it cost you to purchase all the stuff?

15. Sep 4, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    what if he just got an amp and ran that with his stock speakers and HU?

16. Sep 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    IMO it would be a waste of money.

17. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    KAPendley

KAPendley Best Hack I Know

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Shaved, Lowered,Airbrushed (some)
    Audison Bit One.

6 channel out put digital eq. 30 band eq PER channel. etc, etc, etc.................If this unit is added to ANY HU, it will improve sound by leaps and bounds. But its primary purpose is adding amps and better sound to OEM HU's.

18. Sep 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It was about $200 for the mat, the ensolyte and the adhesive spray (for the ensolyte).

Products Discussed in

To Top