Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

DIY: Rear Speakers- 2nd Gen Reg Cab

Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #21
Life is good.
glhsracer is on a distinguished road
glhsracer's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to glhsracer
I have a reg cab and thus no rear speakers, thanks for the input.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #22
TIM GAINOUS is on a distinguished road

TIM GAINOUS's Tacoma Gallery
Ye fadin only loses sound. Add rears makes a big difference.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #23

Gimme your email address ill send pics and nmumbers for addin rears
Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
gsm will become famous soon enoughgsm will become famous soon enough

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhsracer View Post
You did a great job with your rear speakers. When I use the fader control on the factory radio does that mean it is simply going from the speakers in the bottom of the door to the little ones on the top? I never really took the time to look but I assumed it came with four speakers even though they are close together. What a good idea you had.
Thanks for the compliment.

I have since replaced my factory radio with a dd stereo with a removable TomTom interface. I believe the fader ctrl you are talking about is for balancing sound from rear and front speakers so you recieve a balance sound effect. The ones in your door are paired, the small one is a tweeter for high pitched sounds and the larger one lower in the door are for mid range and base sounds and reflect more easily than the tweeter (or high pitch sounds). That is why the smaller tweeters are located high on the door.

Without rear speakers, using the fader will simply lower the pwr to the front speakers lowering the sound output with no benefit.

Rear speakers in a regular cab really makes a big difference in quality of sound. With windows down on the highway can still hear music - unlike running only factory front speakers.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
how dow you like the radio, and where did you purchase it from?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #26
Life is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM GAINOUS View Post
Gimme your email address ill send pics and nmumbers for addin rears
glhsracer@yahoo.com thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #27

You should have em in a min. The pictures make my grilles look weird. Theyre standard blaupunkt grilees
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #28

I upgraded to an alpine cda9884. That made a huge difference im gonna change out the fronts for gtc542 blaupunts i bought em months ago and havent changed em cause the alpine made a night and day diff
Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
Life is good.
Quote:
I upgraded to an alpine cda9884. That made a huge difference im gonna change out the fronts for gtc542 blaupunts i bought em months ago and havent changed em cause the alpine made a night and day diff
Quote:
You should have em in a min. The pictures make my grilles look weird. Theyre standard blaupunkt grilees
Got em, I think I like them better mounted down low like you did. Looks like you did a good job. Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #30

Get those harnesses from toyota under 20 if i rem. They really make it easy
Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #31

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
how dow you like the radio, and where did you purchase it from?
I love the radio and TomTom interface. I bought it through Crutchfield. I believe it's the Eclipse AVN. The TomTom when inserted to the radio face becomes a touch screen for radio/cd/mp3 and usb connection. Came with a second car kit with a good quality suction cup bracket and aux power cord.

The TomTom works great in either vehicle. Only complaint would be the POI's - not enough for me. But you can create your own for known locations.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #32
the anti mpg
tacomajason is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E-4 2A551 Crew Cheif
tacomajason's Tacoma Gallery
this is a new one one me, very cool diy, wish i woulda found this when i had my 07 single cab
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #33
BX1018 is on a distinguished road
BX1018's Tacoma Gallery
gsm,

When you had the rears with the factory radio, did you still keep the factory speakers as well (in your door)? If so, did that hamper the volume quality a lot because of the factory fronts not being able to get as loud? I don't want to replace my head unit because stereo theft is huge around here.

BTW, fantastic work. You should honestly start to market those boxes on eBay and see if you get any buyers.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #34

Rear speakers

Gsm mentions them somewhere in his post. Get the factory harness adapters it makes it lots easier to hookup. If you dont see them check my gallery ive got a pic of the bag with the fact no on it
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #35

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX1018 View Post
gsm,

When you had the rears with the factory radio, did you still keep the factory speakers as well (in your door)? If so, did that hamper the volume quality a lot because of the factory fronts not being able to get as loud? I don't want to replace my head unit because stereo theft is huge around here.

BTW, fantastic work. You should honestly start to market those boxes on eBay and see if you get any buyers.
Thanks for the compliment! Yes I still have the factory speakers in the doors. Sound is fantastic - compared to just factory set up that is. Of course an amp (more power), better door speakers/tweeters would be the cats meow - but that would have been for my younger days .

As for hampering the volume quality, it enhanced it as the factory radio is set up for front rear speakers, just the truck was not.

My replacement unit puts out a little more power than the factory unit and the fronts are holding strong - but then I don't "crank-it to the max" either.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #36
BX1018 is on a distinguished road
BX1018's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't even realize you were from Raleigh. If you're still around once I get my tax return (lol), interested in possibly building me a set of those? I'll come get them from you. I'm in Greenville. Of course, I'll pay you for your time.

I hear you about the younger days. My days of subwoofers, multiple amps, crossovers, etc. etc. are over. Mortgage payment or really cool truck? I think I like my house.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #37

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Woodworking is a hobby of mine. If and when the time comes and you are ready let me know.

If you are going to be in Raleigh some day prior maybe stop by to look at them first.. possible changes in preferences in design. Just a thought. I'm away from home mostly though (airline), but anything can be worked out.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #38
671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

671taco's Tacoma Gallery
thats sweet man, nice write up. i might try this on my reg cab.
still a little confused on the wring thoe. so that little connector you mentioned does not plug back in? thats where you modified clips to connect to the radio?
where does that clip go, and where did the brown wire go?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #39

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671taco View Post
thats sweet man, nice write up. i might try this on my reg cab.
still a little confused on the wring thoe. so that little connector you mentioned does not plug back in? thats where you modified clips to connect to the radio?
where does that clip go, and where did the brown wire go?
If you take another look at the pictures I labeled which pins on the back of the radio get which wires plugged back in (ie. pos + and neg- rear speaker wires and which connection in the rear of the stereo the brown wire went to. I clipped the factory connector (white plastic) off of the brown wire since I was unable to locate clips to plug the speakers into the factory (white plastic) connector. This is why I had to come up with a modified connector for the rear speakers and replace the connector on the brown wire which I did plug back in.

There was an edit with a part number for clips that work with the factory connect so that you do not have to clip the brown wire off, rather just add the rear speaker wires to the factory clip to attach to the back of the radio.

I have since removed my factory radio and have an Eclipse stereo with a TomTom face which I love and sounds better than the factory radio .. with GPS and bluetooth etc...

Hope this helps. If you do it you will love it as even with a factory stereo really improves the quality of sound in the cab!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #40
NuovoTech is on a distinguished road

NuovoTech's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread!!! I'm fairly sure that brown wire in the smaller OEM radio harness is the ground for the dimmer. The OEM radio has variable dim & that wire completes the circuit. Most new HU's either have a manual dim switch or a day/nite setting which relies on feedback thru the OJ illumination wire from the Taco's lite switch. Therefore that brown wire is not needed on new HU's unless they have a OJ/Black stripe wire coming out of them. Below is a handy wire code chart.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Rear Speakers- 2nd Gen Reg Cab-toyotacode.jpg