1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Rear Speakers- 2nd Gen Reg Cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gsm, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Apr 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    glhsracer

glhsracer Life is good.

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    I have a reg cab and thus no rear speakers, thanks for the input.

2. Apr 2, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    TIM GAINOUS

TIM GAINOUS Well-Known Member

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    tints,venvisors,low pro toolbox, readylift sst ,afe pro dry,dynomax muffler,sec air filter removed. jvc aresenal, with rear jvc 6x9's front blaupunkts.
    Ye fadin only loses sound. Add rears makes a big difference.

3. Apr 2, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    tints,venvisors,low pro toolbox, readylift sst ,afe pro dry,dynomax muffler,sec air filter removed. jvc aresenal, with rear jvc 6x9's front blaupunkts.
    Gimme your email address ill send pics and nmumbers for addin rears

4. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    gsm

gsm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Thanks for the compliment.

I have since replaced my factory radio with a dd stereo with a removable TomTom interface. I believe the fader ctrl you are talking about is for balancing sound from rear and front speakers so you recieve a balance sound effect. The ones in your door are paired, the small one is a tweeter for high pitched sounds and the larger one lower in the door are for mid range and base sounds and reflect more easily than the tweeter (or high pitch sounds). That is why the smaller tweeters are located high on the door.

Without rear speakers, using the fader will simply lower the pwr to the front speakers lowering the sound output with no benefit.

Rear speakers in a regular cab really makes a big difference in quality of sound. With windows down on the highway can still hear music - unlike running only factory front speakers.

Hope this helps.

5. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    how dow you like the radio, and where did you purchase it from?

6. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    glhsracer

glhsracer Life is good.

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    glhsracer@yahoo.com thanks!

7. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    You should have em in a min. The pictures make my grilles look weird. Theyre standard blaupunkt grilees

8. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    I upgraded to an alpine cda9884. That made a huge difference im gonna change out the fronts for gtc542 blaupunts i bought em months ago and havent changed em cause the alpine made a night and day diff

9. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    glhsracer

glhsracer Life is good.

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Got em, I think I like them better mounted down low like you did. Looks like you did a good job. Thanks for the pics.

10. Apr 2, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    Get those harnesses from toyota under 20 if i rem. They really make it easy

11. Apr 3, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I love the radio and TomTom interface. I bought it through Crutchfield. I believe it's the Eclipse AVN. The TomTom when inserted to the radio face becomes a touch screen for radio/cd/mp3 and usb connection. Came with a second car kit with a good quality suction cup bracket and aux power cord.

The TomTom works great in either vehicle. Only complaint would be the POI's - not enough for me. But you can create your own for known locations.

12. Apr 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    this is a new one one me, very cool diy, wish i woulda found this when i had my 07 single cab:thumbsup:

13. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    BX1018

BX1018 Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    gsm,

When you had the rears with the factory radio, did you still keep the factory speakers as well (in your door)? If so, did that hamper the volume quality a lot because of the factory fronts not being able to get as loud? I don't want to replace my head unit because stereo theft is huge around here.

BTW, fantastic work. You should honestly start to market those boxes on eBay and see if you get any buyers.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    TIM GAINOUS

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    Gsm mentions them somewhere in his post. Get the factory harness adapters it makes it lots easier to hookup. If you dont see them check my gallery ive got a pic of the bag with the fact no on it

15. Jun 17, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the compliment! Yes I still have the factory speakers in the doors. Sound is fantastic - compared to just factory set up that is. Of course an amp (more power), better door speakers/tweeters would be the cats meow - but that would have been for my younger days :(.

As for hampering the volume quality, it enhanced it as the factory radio is set up for front rear speakers, just the truck was not.

My replacement unit puts out a little more power than the factory unit and the fronts are holding strong - but then I don't "crank-it to the max" either.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jun 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    BX1018

BX1018 Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    Didn't even realize you were from Raleigh. If you're still around once I get my tax return (lol), interested in possibly building me a set of those? I'll come get them from you. I'm in Greenville. Of course, I'll pay you for your time.

I hear you about the younger days. My days of subwoofers, multiple amps, crossovers, etc. etc. are over. Mortgage payment or really cool truck? I think I like my house.

17. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Woodworking is a hobby of mine. If and when the time comes and you are ready let me know. ;)

If you are going to be in Raleigh some day prior maybe stop by to look at them first.. possible changes in preferences in design. Just a thought. I'm away from home mostly though (airline), but anything can be worked out.

18. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    671taco

671taco thekeithchronicles

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    twenty-ten rc
    thats sweet man, nice write up. i might try this on my reg cab.
    still a little confused on the wring thoe. so that little connector you mentioned does not plug back in? thats where you modified clips to connect to the radio?
    where does that clip go, and where did the brown wire go?

19. Nov 17, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    If you take another look at the pictures I labeled which pins on the back of the radio get which wires plugged back in (ie. pos + and neg- rear speaker wires and which connection in the rear of the stereo the brown wire went to. I clipped the factory connector (white plastic) off of the brown wire since I was unable to locate clips to plug the speakers into the factory (white plastic) connector. This is why I had to come up with a modified connector for the rear speakers and replace the connector on the brown wire which I did plug back in.

There was an edit with a part number for clips that work with the factory connect so that you do not have to clip the brown wire off, rather just add the rear speaker wires to the factory clip to attach to the back of the radio.

I have since removed my factory radio and have an Eclipse stereo with a TomTom face which I love and sounds better than the factory radio .. with GPS and bluetooth etc...

Hope this helps. If you do it you will love it as even with a factory stereo really improves the quality of sound in the cab!

20. Nov 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    NuovoTech

NuovoTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Great thread!!! I'm fairly sure that brown wire in the smaller OEM radio harness is the ground for the dimmer. The OEM radio has variable dim & that wire completes the circuit. Most new HU's either have a manual dim switch or a day/nite setting which relies on feedback thru the OJ illumination wire from the Taco's lite switch. Therefore that brown wire is not needed on new HU's unless they have a OJ/Black stripe wire coming out of them. Below is a handy wire code chart. :D

ToyotaCode.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top