1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Rear Speakers- 2nd Gen Reg Cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gsm, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    NuovoTech

NuovoTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    I did find find some plastic speaker boxes at CrutchField.com that are used for Jeep vehicles, called Mod-Pods. They take a 5 1/4" speaker. :cool:

Found out how to remove the center belt...drill a small hole in the buckle dimple pictured in 3rd foto. My 2009 buckle did not have a dimple so I drilled a 1/16" hole in the exact same place as in the foto. Then insert a paper clip & bingo they seperate! :D

1sm.jpg
    2sm.jpg
    Dimple.jpg

2. Nov 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Wondered what gauge speaker wire most were using? I have a bunch of 18 ga & I'm mounting 5 1/4" rear speakers...that big enuff or should I get some 16 ga? :D

3. Nov 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    gsm

gsm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    18 ga should be fine if you are with factory system. 16 would be better, especially if you boosted pwr output or if if have a long run of wire.

4. Nov 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Just got my Mod-Pods, not too shabby, I think they'll do the job. I'll post some fotos when I'm done mounting them. :cool:

5. Nov 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Got my Mod-Pods installed & they work well, this thread helped me quite a lot...Thanx all!!! :D

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

6. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Looking Good ;)

Glad this post was of some help.

7. Jan 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Tacotrac

Tacotrac Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Glasstite canopy, afe pro dry A/F, added rear speakers, DeeZee bed mat.
    Thank you for the ideas! I made a set of boxes out of a aluminum road sign, covered in felt and installed as far outboard as possible - bench seat covers about 1/2 of the speaker (6 1/2" Sony) Definitely an improvement in sound. wired to the stock radio as per instructions in the thread..

Here's a pic (if it posts?)

016.jpg

8. Jan 16, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Looks great. Wouldn't of guess they came from a road sign!

9. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    postalcarrier

postalcarrier New Member

Member:
    AR
    Vehicle:
    Plain
    Hey gsm I can't tell what are the dimension of your pieces back, side etc. I have a 2004 but I didn't have the wiring issues that you did there is actually wire running to the back. Just had to pop off the side panel where the seat belt rund and there is already wire ran to there. Anyway I am going to attempt this install and I would appreciate your dimensions. Thanks Oh and your install looks awesome

10. Feb 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    It's been awhile and I'm out of town, so I cann't measure to be sure (Taco is at home).

One factor to consider is what size speaker you are going to use. For me, zooming in on the picture of my marked boards on my post I see:

Back 6 1/2 x 7 1/4
    Sides (angled) 2 inch top, 7 7/8 front edge, 6 1/2 back edge with I believe a 1 inch or 3/4 inch square cutout for the railing clearence.

I hope this helps. If you need more exact measurements I'll be home in two days - drop me a pm or another post and I'll gladly go measure for exact sizes. And tell you my speaker size.

Best of luck, you'll love the sound quality!

11. Jun 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    I was looking at wiring some speakers in my 2003 Reg cab a week ago, I mounted some speakers in the bed of my truck.

Long story short,
    The rear speaker wires from the factory radio were there!
    I went into the FSM and looked up where they should be, and I found them, even though my truck never had rears.

If you pull back the rear corner covers, the wires dead end on the sidewall behind the doors, just below the seatbelt reel. the connectors were there and i confirmed them in the wiring diagram by color.

If you wire the radio to a factory harness adapter, they will be useable.

I have a Dual Zone, kenwood deck, that means i can run the front speakers off of one source, and the rears off of another. I can play a DVD up front and listen to XM in the bed. Sounds silly, but I can, so I had to make it work.

12. Jun 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    When I put rear speakers in my 2009 reg 4x2 cab I could not find any pre-wiring for them. But, adding the wires was fairly easy... :cool:

13. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Maybe our 2d Gen Taco's aren't wired the same as his 1st Gen Taco. My 08 didn't have rear speaker wires run in the dash nor attached to the connector to the radio which is where it logically would be if there were wires factory installed.

Old practice for manufacturers was to have standard wire harnesses for all types within a family of vehicles. So adding options, or standard items to raise a base model to raise it to a LX, DX or some type of higher classification was easy and less labor intensive.

Nowadays, that's not always the case. Our standard cab isn't pre-wired for foglights (and dealership states not compatable), but the others pretty much are. So we have to make our own wiring setup. Cruise control, told same thing from dealership, but the wiring harness in the steering wheel is the same, pretty much only need a "y" cable and the control arm with column cover. Even the "Cruise" light in the dash comes to life when engaged. Same for the variable w/s wipers. On & on. You get the idea.

14. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    pretty clean setup! id run it like this but it wouldn't fit...lol

fyi you can buy 6x9 speaker boxes at walmart...i think theyre like $30 or so, and im pretty sure u can mod them to fit on the back wall like the op did...(those are the boxes im running my 6x9s in, but i keep them loose cause i like to use them outside the truck lol)

15. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
  16. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    hedlesbrmstkbass looked at your build, nice ride. Would love to have your rim setup! 5 lugs don't give much selection to shop for that look as good as yours.

I agree production speaker boxes are the way to go for most and work just as well. Myself, I like to make sawdust when it's not too humid here!

Ride safe.

17. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    haha thanks man...there are actually ALOT of rims for our trucks, you just have to look around. our bore size is pretty small, unlike the last gen trucks so the majority of 5x114.3 rims fit :D

yah the walmart boxes are good, but not the best. they aren't that thick, but i was surprised that they actually sound decent. just wanted to put up another option

18. Aug 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    TacoVerde

TacoVerde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    heres mine with some help from Greg

[​IMG]

19. Aug 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Glad to have helped. Any trouble with the mounting?

Enjoy the music!

20. Aug 3, 2010 at 1:09 AM
    TacoVerde

TacoVerde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    a little the driver side box thumped a little when driving and couldnt figure out why the passenger was nice and tight so i just used a wood shim and its good now.

its a big improvement though especially anywhere above 20 and when i have the doors open listening to it from the outside

Products Discussed in

To Top