1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running satellite radio controls through stock headunit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Chad, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sep 9, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    Chad

Chad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    So I'm thinking of buying a Sirius satellite radio receiver, but I want to be able to run it through the stock headunit and use the SAT function on the HU. Has anyone had experience with doing this, or is it even possible? Also, how do I program the steering wheel controls to work?

I have found out how to use the stock SAT antenna that's standard on 09s and how to set it up through the stereo, but I want to be able use the buttons to switch between stations, see what songs are playing, etc. Is this possible?

Thanks!

2. Sep 11, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    For my truck (09 dc trd off-road) all I had to do is- buy the receiver and installation kit from dealer (less then $ 250 incl taxes). I installed them in about one hour and I am able to use the head unit just fine. If your unit say's SAT on the same button with the AM You should be fine. It shows the channel but not the song and artist name. My unit have just one cd charger. Maybe the other with six cd's in dash charger have the option and will show the song,artist name also ????. What unit do you have ????.

3. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    I have the 1 cd unit as well, and it says SAT on the AM button. I don't think I would mess with it if I can't see the name or artist. That defeats the point. For reference, did you purchase the cable and stuff through your dealer, or did you buy it offline? Also, do you know what part or the name of the cable? And how difficult of an install was it?

4. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
  5. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    i run sirius in my truck with a fm direct conect. its fairly cheap and it works great

6. Sep 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.

Several months ago I did a mod post on how to do this. I learned that the features such as pause, rewind, fast forward, song or artist search features do not work with the factory radio/Sirius tuner. It is a down side to having the factory radio and clean look with Sirius or XM radio.
    I am not too fond of the look with an aftermarket Sirius equipment (such as a Starmate) mounted to the dash, windshield, etc. and went for the factory satellite mod.

Would really like to go for an aftermarket receiver with; large touch screen DVD, GPS, Sirius, etc. :cool: but would always have to worry about the truck being broken into and the stereo being stolen. (I know there are alarm systems, but there is still the greater chance with a high end unit being stolen then the factory equipment)

7. Sep 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    I bought it form the dealer. The installation kit and the receiver are sold as two separate parts and this ( I believe ) because the installation kit may be the same for XM and Sirius but the receiver is different. I have no part # but I went to my dealer and ask him to match the internet price. He was about $25 (incl the taxes) more , he had the parts in stock and I was ready to leave for a long week end. It took me about one hour.The dealer was nice and printed out the installation instruction- the same they print out for their own technicians. It is really a piece of cake and you will save $200 bucks not counting how good you will feel at the end.

Products Discussed in

To Top