1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non-JBL factorys are components with no amp, right?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ab-76, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    ab-76

ab-76 [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 v4 Regular Cab
    OEM intermittent wipers woohoo!
    90% of the things I'm reading in various forums, articles, etc. say components really need an amp. Makes total sense, but aren't the 2005+ non-JBL factory front speakers unamped components running off the factory head unit? Is that why they sound so bad - no amp? (well they could also be bad due to the volume limiting, bass reduction, and factory equalizing but..). If they ARE components, if you take away the factory HU manipulations (by replacing the HU), would they be.......better? Ehh..... If these are NOT components, what the heck are they?

I'm just really curious whether or not you MUST amp components and if not, are there any that would be sufficient with aftermarket HU power of 50W x 4.

Since there's already a great tweeter location in the door, it seems like a waste to not make use of it.

Couldn't it be said that if you do components, you kinda then need a sub - or else where would the lows come from?? If you need a sub, then you need an amp (or powered sub) but if you're amping the sub, you may as well amp the components, right??

Just looking for a step up from factory sound quality with a little bit more volume. Picked a Pioneer HU in the $150-$200 range. Considering components and a small powered sub - but an amp for the components may break the budget. Still obviously confused about speakers.

I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with coax 'regular' speakers - but maybe not since I just want a step up?? I'm sure there are some quality non-components, right?

I have no idea if I'm making any sense :confused::D:eek::rolleyes: Overthinking overthinking overthinking.....I think.....

I've had some very useful feedback from other posts here so I hope I'm not overdoing it by asking for more!

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    components have a higher watt rating, and they have passive crossovers. This is why you need an amp. the stock deck won't put out near enough power, and most aftermarket decks won't either. You don't necessarily have to go with components though. If you want the best sound, components are the way to go, but you could always just pick up a pair of coaxials for the doors and run them off your deck.

You don't need a sub if you go components. They will have nice mid bass because of the 6.5 mid speaker. If you want low and/or pounding bass, then yes, you need a sub.

My advice, since you're on a budget, is to go buy two pairs of coaxials, one for front, one for back. you already got your deck, your good to go. Don't spend more than $100 a pair (in fact you can probably get away with $50 a pair). Buy from fry's or best buy or somewhere with a great return policy. If you don't like the results, return them. Don't waste your money on components unless you're going to run them with an amp though.

3. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    actually, now that i think about it, you can always just get new speakers for the front and fade it all the way forward. It will likely sound better this way anyway.

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    oh my bad, lol, I was looking at MY truck info when I checked that...I'm an idiot. thought she had an AC.

5. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    yeah i dont know, maybe they do??? what pioneer deck do you have ab? i have a panasonic that runs 50x4 max with kenwood 6x9s rated at 90w rms. The highest I can take the volume is at 24 out of 40. I don't get any poping or distortion. It sounds great.

6. Sep 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    ab-76

ab-76 [OP] Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 v4 Regular Cab
    OEM intermittent wipers woohoo!
    Heh - I wasnt sure I'd get any more responses - I feel like such a dork posting sometimes. :eek:

No rear speakers in regular cab - in the front door there's just a tweeter (I assume - very small, at the top of the door) and a 6.5 toward the bottom of the door.

Oh the deck - not purchased yet - but I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-P4100UB. Honestly, it's in the price range, has the right features, and really I just like the way it looks (display, etc) better than others.

Specs are:
    Power, continuous: 22W x 4.
    Power, built-in speaker: 50W x 4 MOSFET. (peak I assume? so around 12.5W each channel?).
    Crossovers: HPF, 50/63/80/100/125Hz, -12dB/Oct., LPF, sub, 50/63/80/100/125Hz, -18dB/Oct., +/-12dB.
    Preouts: 6 RCA (2 front, 2 rear, 2 sub); 4V, 100 ohm.

I think I'm leaning towards coax's for now.... I understand why they won't be as good as components, but I can't imagine they'd be worse than stock. The worst thing that could happen is I hate it - and if so, oh well, I then know what I need to do - components, amp(s), and possible sub.

Good to know that there's 'adequate' bass in the component woofer! Won't just automatically go buy a sub if I hate the coax's - it'll be wait and see.

Well sorry this is so 'thinking out loud' - thanks for the replies!

Products Discussed in

To Top