1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpine or Pioneer HU?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by schiz94, Sep 20, 2009.

?

Which Head Unit?

Poll closed Oct 20, 2009.
  1. Pioneer Premier DEH-P310UB

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Alpine CDA-105

42 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 [OP] Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    i want to get a new head unit for my regular cab 2nd gen. i have researched a little and i want a new head unit that i can plug my ipod into the front. I dont want a pa-15 toy usa spec cuz for like 50 bucks more i could get a new nicer looking head unit. I dont know much about stereos so i need your guy's help.

i found this one. and think this is perfect because it seems like you can plug an ipod right into the front and it would work. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pGp2x1Mq3jd/p_130P310UB/Pioneer-Premier-DEH-P310UB.html?tab=review

i also found this one. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-105

i like the pioneer better because of price and also the alpine i read you need an extra cable that is 30 bucks more. and it doenst plug into the front. i also would like to know what you guys think of this mount thingy. any other suggestions? http://shop.*********.com/product.sc?productId=51&categoryId=4

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    schiz94

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    idk what double din and single din mean. i want a simple dash kit. im not an audiophile or mechanic so something managable

3. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I vote for Alpine. I've had a couple Alpines and have been very happy with them. Only reason i've had more than one is simply because I wanted a newer one, never had any quality issues. I love my current deck(CDA-9886) and I installed a CDA-9885 in my ex-girlfriends car and I liked that one too. That CDA-105 looks identical to the 9885 and it has seemed like for the price it would be a good unit. The Alpine iPod control system is great. Very simple and quick straight off the HU without having to pick up the iPod.

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    schiz94

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    i want one preferably under 200. i dont need any extra features like ipod control thru the radio. i just want front plug in ipod connection. i think im leaning towards the pioneer. thanks for your input relentless. from what i can see they are both really nice quality

5. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    My preferences in order: Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, and then everything else.

I would get something with 3 preamp outputs, though.

6. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I'd vote Alpine over pioneer as well. I've ran a few of both... both pioneer's I had failed after about a year. Both Alpines, and my buddies.. have yet to die.

7. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
  8. Sep 21, 2009 at 2:27 AM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    I have the alpine IDA-X300 in my truck. It does the iPod control but through the back, I have the cord and ipod in my glovebox. It's the full control high-speed cord too, and it comes with it. On crutchfield it's discontinued unfortunately, LINK, but when I did buy it from them it was $119 and came with the wiring harness and the dash kit (The one with the little bumps like the factory stereo). If you can find this model anywhere online I highly recommend it.

9. Sep 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    How one writer put it -
    My list: Eclipse, Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, and then everything else.

Pretty much agree, though I put Kenwood in there.

Kind of a toss Kenwood/Alpine. Alpine is slipping as for built-in features, eg Bluetooth.
    Quality, sound, and looks are there, but they need a model with everything on-board.

10. Sep 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    My pioneer really makes the stock speakers sound better then the factory radio. I am having some trouble with it though after 4 months, basically I'm having the same symptoms the 09 guys are having with the stocker radio :notsure:(volume won't work, turning itself off and on etc.). I'm not at all saying the two relate in any way but I can now sympathize with the 09 crowd and it sucks :frusty:

11. Sep 21, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I've ran both Alpine and Pioneer in the past and never had a problem with either. For under $200 you should still be able to get full ipod control nowadays. This is much better than just having it plugged into an aux. input in the front. You may think you don't want it, but trust me, once you have it you'll be glad. Personally I hate having my ipod laying around and having to pick it up and browse through songs on there which is distracting while driving not to mention you have a cord just laying around. With ipod control you can keep it away in the glove box or wherever and it will keep your ipod charged.

12. Sep 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    If you HAD to pick between the 2, go for the Alpine.

13. Sep 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    I installed that same Pioneer in my moms car(08 avalon), new component speakers , amp and sub. sounds great! the only problem is my mom can't read the face on the stereo easily. If you are getting on in years or have bad eyesight you might not like it.

14. Sep 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Alpine. Any of their iPod head units are fantastic. The Pioneer iPod control interface is the most frustrating piece of electronics I have every used.

15. Sep 21, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    I do have to mention I have a Pioneer in my truck. AVIC-F900BT
    it's a bit more than your budget, but the touch screen, iphone/ipod controls and interface are real nice. I went with the pioneer because at the time the Alpine units UI seemed really difficult to use, and also the touch screen was one of them sticky click ones(very annoying).

16. Sep 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    I vote Alpine. I have an Alpine deck and I really love it!

But, just another suggestion, check out the Alpine iDA-X303. It is an iPod controller and it looks like sex. But it doesn't play CDs. But if you have an iPod, you don't really need CDs. :D

17. Sep 21, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
  18. Sep 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ive always had good luck with my pioneers! never had one fail on me. they are easy to use with tons of EQ settings

19. Sep 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    i've been an alpine guy for years...but over the last couple years I have scene alpine deck prices increase while their quality has decreased...I always believe in pay for what you get...but recently it seems that alpine has been slacking in this area...

I am running the Pioneer Premier DEH-P9800BT...its an awesome single din unit...built in bluetooth with mic that I have mounted in the a-pillar...call can be heard through the sound system...another thing that's awesome is the built in EQ...the other great + i have for this head unit is the customizable OLED screen...that's awesome...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Sep 21, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    T0LLPHR33 : that's a sweet setup you have there.What are you running, TRD, URD, turbo?

Products Discussed in

To Top