Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Tacoma Stock Bluetooth compatibility?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Stock Bluetooth compatibility?

So I want to get a Kenwood DNX-5140 for my taco, but it does not have bluetooth. I have an '09 with the built in JBL bluetooth system.

Do you think the stock built in system is compatible with the Kenwood stereo??

I really do not want to buy their $150 bluetooth adapter if my stock bluetooth will work.

Does anyone have any experience with this??
Old 09-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
YotaCraZ has a spectacular aura aboutYotaCraZ has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Retired
YotaCraZ's Tacoma Gallery
I would imagine that once the JBL system is removed...so goes the bluetooth. Although it is a few more $$, I'd look at the DNX 6140; it has built-in bluetooth support.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaCraZ View Post
I would imagine that once the JBL system is removed...so goes the bluetooth. Although it is a few more $$, I'd look at the DNX 6140; it has built-in bluetooth support.
Yeah that is the same thing my friend at the motorsports shop told me I was really hoping to use the stock bluetooth because it saves $150 on the unit itself and $50 on the install...O well it was worth a shot.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
digit748 is on a distinguished road
digit748's Tacoma Gallery
I just did this!!!

Simple answer- Yes you will lose your Bluetooth if you remove your factory JBL stereo. Here's how to keep it...

First let me start by saying it's not as simple just changing the head unit. In order to use your factory installed JBL system (with any aftermarket head unit you choose) you are also going to need a "Steering Wheel Interface" to keep use of of your steering wheel controls and a vehicle-specific radio replacement interface just to connect the new radio to JBL system itself. Per Kenwood Tech Dept, the only SWI they tested and approve of is the "PAC SWI-JACK".
From my research, Pacific Accessory Corporation is the only SWI-JACK that will also work with your Bluetooth steering controls (SWI-JACK Version 1.6.20b). A white sticker can be found on the unit itself identifying which version it is. You must look on the unit for the version number and not the packaging as the package will only show SWI-JACKv.1 As of the date of this post, this version has only been shipping from PAC for about a month and is hard to find. Just to stay with the same manufacturer I chose the PAC TATO for my Radio Interface.
As far as the head unit, I chose the Kenwood DNX6140. If you look hard enough and you're patient you can find a great deal on these. I purchased mine ($679.00) from 6ave.com during a "name your price" promotion they had going and am eligible for a $100 rebate through Kenwood!! Oh yeah, and don't forget your new dash kit. Metra makes the one that most resembles your factory dash if its grey (part # 99-8214TG).

Good luck and hope this helps someone!!!

My setup: 2009 DBL CAB TRD OFF ROAD
Kenwood DNX 6140
PAC SWI-JACK Version 1.6.20b
PAC TATO Interface
Metra 99-8214TG Dash Kit