1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want a better-than-stock audio setup

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Quasar, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sep 29, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    Quasar

Quasar [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4X2 SR5
    Hi there. New to the automotive audio stuff. Just purchased a 2010 Taco access cab and was disappointed with the stock sound system (not that I was surprised...it is the regular 6-speaker stereo system, not the JBL 7-speaker). I want to have much better sound quality and volume, but don't want to spend lots of money...no more than a couple hundred for the HU and the same for speakers. Love lots of bass, but would prefer to not have to install a sub as I don't want to take up space in the rear of the cab. Read up on 2 and 3-way speakers, coaxial and component, but not totally sure which I should get. Most of the music I listen to is electronic so I would prefer my setup to maximize the sound quality for that type of music.

Also, I don't know what the actual RMS is of the stock stereo and speakers (or the size of the speakersor if they are coaxial or component), but if anyone else does...please pass that along to me. I don't want to go taking my dash and door panels apart if I don't have to. The ceiling speakers hardly produce any sound whatsoever so I am wondering if it would make sense to either disconnect them or to replace them with better ones.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

2. Sep 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    God choice not wasting money on the JBL, its even more dissapointing (since my expectations were higher).

I would look at alpine head units (I love mine :) ) and Pioneer Premeir series. the Premiers are outstanding quality for the price of the speakers. Try and get an amp to power the speakers if you can too.

I'm sure others will come in and give you more suggestions, and probably argue since the golden rule with car speakers is go listen to some in the store. Your ear is unique to what you like!

3. Sep 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    For bass without a sub you'll likely want to stick with a 6x9, rather than switching to a 6.5 like most do after adding a sub. Also, do some deadening of the doors to gain midbass.

There are a few 6x9 component sets out there. I'd probably start by researching those and pay attention to their power requirements if you don't intend to add an amp.

Take a look at the Alpine HU with small amp piggyback add on. It sounds like a great budget option. One of the guys just reviewed it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...ssed-new-alpine-product-pioneer-premiers.html

4. Oct 17, 2009 at 11:56 PM
    b168

b168 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
    6" Pro Comp Lift 35" Xtreme A/T Pro Comp Tires 4.56 Gears
    First of all i want to thank RICK PAUL from Houston TX. met him at Fry's head office today. They had a sale on Polk Audio spkrs fro Buy 1 Get 1 FREE!!!!!!!!

only changed my spkrs with 6.5 components front and 6 on the back. Still used y stock HU and subs. Used 1 200.4 Kicker Amps.

Sounded real nice!!! though i do have an option to return or exchange my amp within 30 days if i want to change it to a higher amp.

was thingking of changing the HU but would be more expensive because of the diff adaptors or modules that u have to buy for the BT and steering controls.

and another factor is that theres not much space on my DC for a 10 or 12" subs and a big amp to fit. though i still have option if i wanted to change the HU, but nah im ok. Love it!!!

They did a real good job on the truck!!!

Thanks Again!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top