Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

pioneer avic d3 vs. kenwood dnx 7100 which one?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
onelifeoneride is on a distinguished road

onelifeoneride's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to onelifeoneride
pioneer avic d3 vs. kenwood dnx 7100 which one?

the avic d3 and kenwood 7100 are very compareable what are your guys opinions on them both.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Taco™
Blu08Taco is on a distinguished road

Blu08Taco's Tacoma Gallery
They are not in the same league. One is a an entry level deck while the other is a more mid range. The 7100 being the latter.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if ur want a double din pioneer, i'd go z1/z2
Old 01-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
onelifeoneride is on a distinguished road

onelifeoneride's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to onelifeoneride
guys thanks for your opinions but i need more info then "get that one"... just cuz ones more expensive then the other doesnt mean much to me...what makes this one better then that one??
Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

here's 4 big comparisons of d3/z2......

d3 screen= 6.1" z2 screen=7"
d3 uses dvd's for nav purposes z2 has maps on the HDD
d3 has no HDD for maps of music z2 has a 30GB HDD w/ 10GB for music
and the final is the z2 looks a lot better

i'll be going to a z2 sometime over my n1
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Taco™
Blu08Taco is on a distinguished road

Blu08Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifeoneride View Post
guys thanks for your opinions but i need more info then "get that one"... just cuz ones more expensive then the other doesnt mean much to me...what makes this one better then that one??
The Nav on the D3 IMO is horrible, and annoying with dvd's. The kenwood use Garmin for Nav which is phenomenal.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
909tacoma is on a distinguished road
909tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post

i'll be going to a z2 sometime over my n1
The Z-2 is the muthafu*$in $h^t...
I love it... A little on the pricey side, but after using it I wouldn"t want anything less....
Old 01-29-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifeoneride View Post
the avic d3 and kenwood 7100 are very compareable what are your guys opinions on them both.

I have the DNX7100 and love it. Its easy to use; has a great screen and the maps are awesome as garmin (mentioned above) is the GPS/Map provider.
Also the DNX as the head unit totally changed the sound of the system. I kept the stock speakers and they sound great. Then I put in a Punch Subwoofer (Rockford Fosgate) and a Punch 500 amp and the whole system sounds awesome as tis easy on the DNX to configure your system for total sound quality you would think that a 500 watt amp/sub combo would overpower the mids and highs on the stock speakers but with the DNX it sounds like I changed the entire setup.

Also the DNX is one of the cleanest looking in dash setups as it dosent have buttons sticking out like the others; just a few small ones along the bottom ...basically looks like only a screen.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Taco View Post
I have the DNX7100 and love it. Its easy to use; has a great screen and the maps are awesome as garmin (mentioned above) is the GPS/Map provider.
Also the DNX as the head unit totally changed the sound of the system. I kept the stock speakers and they sound great. Then I put in a Punch Subwoofer (Rockford Fosgate) and a Punch 500 amp and the whole system sounds awesome as tis easy on the DNX to configure your system for total sound quality you would think that a 500 watt amp/sub combo would overpower the mids and highs on the stock speakers but with the DNX it sounds like I changed the entire setup.

Also the DNX is one of the cleanest looking in dash setups as it dosent have buttons sticking out like the others; just a few small ones along the bottom ...basically looks like only a screen.
did you have the jbl system? im looking to upgrade as well but the whole jbl amp all that jazz got me like uhh
Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909tacoma View Post
The Z-2 is the muthafu*$in $h^t...
I love it... A little on the pricey side, but after using it I wouldn"t want anything less....
Is the z2 hackable yet? ... just curious... can you watch dvd's while driving etc..
Old 01-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
909tacoma is on a distinguished road
909tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSter View Post
Is the z2 hackable yet? ... just curious... can you watch dvd's while driving etc..
My friend installed it for me since electronics is not my thing.... It took him about 1 minute to ground a wire and the unit was bypassed.....
Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSter View Post
i think its the same as my n1 where all that had to be done was ground the parking brake wire. i grounded it into the main ground from the radio.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
red_death450 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jazman1
red_death450's Tacoma Gallery
Does the Z2 interact with the stock steering wheel controls??
Also I have read that the Alpine IVA-W205 is a very well liked unit by many.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_death450 View Post
Does the Z2 interact with the stock steering wheel controls??
Also I have read that the Alpine IVA-W205 is a very well liked unit by many.

i think with most aftermarket units you need one of them PAC units to keep steering wheel controls
Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
well i have the avic d-3 and i love it. for the price. i dont think u can compare it with the other pioneers like the z series they are way more money. my d 3 does everything i need it to. and sounds amazing.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrsdup View Post
well i have the avic d-3 and i love it. for the price. i dont think u can compare it with the other pioneers like the z series they are way more money. my d 3 does everything i need it to. and sounds amazing.
i love my old n1 as well, i just hate having to use the discs anytime i need the NAV when i'm outside of my 1 mile memory storage
Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #17
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I've been researching these head units and I saw there is a new model coming out that is supposed to be better (I don't know why) than the dnx 7100 http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...ds-new-ki.html The new model is the dnx 8120.

The built in hard drive is a good concept, but it is too small. I might as well load up a few dvd's with mp3 files and then I don't have to worry about the hard drive. If the HD was larger, then I'd be looking into one with it built in. I know the kenwood allows you to add a flash drive or a self powered hard drive. However, I've heard that when you start up the unit, the directory has to be rebuilt every time, which takes about 1 min/gb.

I won't be going for either of these head units, I'll be going the car PC route.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #18
veedubb8 is on a distinguished road
veedubb8's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys. My name is Sean and I'm the Editor over at SoundDomain. I've noticed a lot of traffic coming over our site from this forum, so I thought I'd pop in, say hello, thanks for the traffic, and to letyou know we had a follow up to the 8120 post with some video:
http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...ideo-kenw.html

Thanks and enjoy!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #19
veedubb8 is on a distinguished road
veedubb8's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb DNX8120 Video

Hi guys. My name is Sean and I'm the editor for SoundDomain.com. I've noticed a lot of traffic coming over to SoundDomain from this forum, so I thought I'd let you all know there was a follow up post on the 8120 with video. Kenwood put this together and shot it over to us:
http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...ideo-kenw.html
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
Robin1500 is on a distinguished road
Robin1500's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood DNX8120

Hey guys, I have been looking at these units for about a month and have decided to go with the DNX8120. The Pioneer AVIC Z2 has too many issues. It locks you out of the navigation system and address book while driving. Forcing you to pull over and apply the emergency brake to change your navigation features. You can get around this by grounding the emergency brake wire, but I have read there are other issues as well. The DNX7100 is a good unit, but there are some slams about its GUI (Graphical User Interface) being rather clunky. From what I have read, the DNX8120 has corrected this problem by giving you a choice of three different skins and allows you to modify the GUI to your satisfaction. The AVIC Z2 is a cool unit, but why would you want to copy cd's onto the Z2's internal hard drive when you have an ipod interface and a USB port on the Kenwood. You can use a flash memory stick with much more memory than the AVIC offers. Also the AVIC D3 is a cd based navigation system, which I believe has the same lock out problems as the AVIC Z2. Plus, the 8120 has a built in Parrot Blue Tooth system. AVIC's and DNX7100 require an add on module.