Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Image Dynamics vs polk vs Pioneer speakers

Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
machman is on a distinguished road

Navy: MR2
machman's Tacoma Gallery
Image Dynamics vs polk vs Pioneer speakers

I will be installing these in the front doors of my 03 DC. Marv will be making the baffles. I am looking at Polk MM6501, Image Dynamics CTX65cs, and Pioneer Premier TS-C520PRS(recommended by Marv). I realize that the first two are 6.5's. I am wanting to go 6.5 because I am not certain that I will ever add a sub. These will be ran off an Alpine CDA-105(may add an Alpine power pack later or maybe "real" amp).

I enjoy music that range from Stevie Ray, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac to AC/DC, Metalica and Staind.

If I ever add a sub, it will only be a Boss BASS600 or the Blaupunkt THb 200A .
Old 10-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
These are nice for the price as well. You can also coaxially mount the tweeter if you want.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PPI+356CS.html
Old 10-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
cool?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Or these too...these created quite a stirr a while back in the audio world as THE budget component set to beat!
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6952/RSD65cs--Phoenix-Gold-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm
Old 10-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #5

machman's Tacoma Gallery
Man, are you trying to complicate things for me even more?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman View Post
Man, are you trying to complicate things for me even more?
lol, sorry
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Sensitivity is 87 and 88db respectively for those sepakers. IMO, that is too low for headunit power. If you are thinking about an amp, well then that is a different story. I would look into something low 90's for sens. to run off that h/u.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 6.5 version of those Pioneers and I really like them. I might try the ID's if I had the money to experiment with setups.

I'd also recommend amping them. Really helps a lot, IMO.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #9

machman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner07 View Post
I have the 6.5 version of those Pioneers and I really like them. I might try the ID's if I had the money to experiment with setups.

I'd also recommend amping them. Really helps a lot, IMO.
It seems that the Pioneers would be better that the IMs'. What amp are you running your Pioneers on?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #10
ligero18 is on a distinguished road
Army: 1 AD, Wiesbaden, Germany
ligero18's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever had aftermarket speakers before? Almost anything will sound better than stock. Try to audition some of those set ups before buying. Also really consider adding deading, as much as you can afford/want to spend it really helps. The install is just as/more important than the component. By the way Boss is not a very reputable brand, not sure about Blau
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i'm running a set of the premier components.. of course i'm pushing about 125 watts to them but man do they sing!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #12

machman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ligero18 View Post
Have you ever had aftermarket speakers before? Almost anything will sound better than stock. Try to audition some of those set ups before buying. Also really consider adding deading, as much as you can afford/want to spend it really helps. The install is just as/more important than the component. By the way Boss is not a very reputable brand, not sure about Blau
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I actually used to sell and install stereos from 1988-1991. I do know a little about all this stuff, but times have changed and technology has too.

I have some Infinity Kappas in my camry and I have been happy with them for 5 years. I recently bought some Infinity components for my Tacoma and I have sent them back because they weren't much better than the stockers.

I had Polks in my old truck that I loved. I guess that is why I am partial to Polk. I can affor the Polk MM's but not the SR's. If the MM's are anything like the Polks that I had in my old truck that I got 20 years ago, then I will be happy.

I knew that Boss had a less than desirable rep but thought that maybe they got thier act together.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it seems that the pioneers would be better that the ims'. What amp are you running your pioneers on?
esx Q75.2 Had it for years and finally got around to using it. Great little amp, but heavy as sack of rocks.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I actually used to sell and install stereos from 1988-1991. I do know a little about all this stuff, but times have changed and technology has too.

I have some Infinity Kappas in my camry and I have been happy with them for 5 years. I recently bought some Infinity components for my Tacoma and I have sent them back because they weren't much better than the stockers.

I had Polks in my old truck that I loved. I guess that is why I am partial to Polk. I can affor the Polk MM's but not the SR's. If the MM's are anything like the Polks that I had in my old truck that I got 20 years ago, then I will be happy.

I knew that Boss had a less than desirable rep but thought that maybe they got thier act together.
Nope as far as I know still suck. I've never been a fan of Infinity. What I've heard (personally) is a lack of midbass and harsh highs and I'm guessing that's what you've experienced?? What is your budget? There's a very large price range. I run a Cadance amp now, good quality and bang for $. My friend just got 2 of their new series amps and it sounds great. He also has some expensive comps and subs and a ton of deadening
Old 10-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #15

machman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope as far as I know still suck. I've never been a fan of Infinity. What I've heard (personally) is a lack of midbass and harsh highs and I'm guessing that's what you've experienced?? What is your budget? There's a very large price range. I run a Cadance amp now, good quality and bang for $. My friend just got 2 of their new series amps and it sounds great. He also has some expensive comps and subs and a ton of deadening
The Infinitys were Reference Series and had sofe dome tweeters. I was happy with the highs but they were serverly lacking in midrange and deep base(the stock speakers were better in both of these departments).

I am willing to spend up to $150-200 on my front speakers. I am wanting to keep everything simple and therefor thinking about an Alpine Powerpack amp. I am willing to go with a "real" amp though. I see ALPINE MRP-F300 for $140 on Ebay. Where is a good place to look at Cadance online? What about a good source of deadening? I have found 25 sqft on Ebay for around $50 shipped.

Has anyone documented the effort it takes to install 6.5" in an 01-04 front door? I know that I am going to have to have baffle(Marv). I am also going to have to cut some of the back of the door panel plastic(no bit deal for me).
Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
Sounds Gooooood

Buy the Pheonix Gold RSD 6.5's I mentioned and spend the remaining budget $$ on sound deadener.

You have to remember that you're putting nice speakers in a terrible acoustic environment (door). Treat your door and improve it acoustically and you'll be able to enjoy the improved speaker performance.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #17
http://www.woofersetc.com/p4596/CL61...t-Speakers.htm

I've never heard these but I've heard great things about them...you will have to amp these. Well not have to but trust me it's pointless if you don't.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4596/CL61...t-Speakers.htm

Cadence amps
Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
Quote:
The Infinitys were Reference Series and had sofe dome tweeters. I was happy with the highs but they were serverly lacking in midrange and deep base(the stock speakers were better in both of these departments).

I am willing to spend up to $150-200 on my front speakers. I am wanting to keep everything simple and therefor thinking about an Alpine Powerpack amp. I am willing to go with a "real" amp though. I see ALPINE MRP-F300 for $140 on Ebay. Where is a good place to look at Cadance online? What about a good source of deadening? I have found 25 sqft on Ebay for around $50 shipped.

Has anyone documented the effort it takes to install 6.5" in an 01-04 front door? I know that I am going to have to have baffle(Marv). I am also going to have to cut some of the back of the door panel plastic(no bit deal for me).

For the deadener try searching for second skin on ebay and you should be able to find the factory direct seller on there. I would link but I'm at work. Never replaced speakers in a Tacoma but can't imagine its any more difficult than anything you've allready done. Somebody else may chime in on that.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #19

machman's Tacoma Gallery
OK Marv has given a thumbs up to the Pheonix Gold RSd65cs speakers. I am pretty sure that I will never add a sub to this system. So, I hope that these will give me bass that is as good as a 6.5 mounted in a door will give. Yes, I will deaden the whole door behind the door panel.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #20

machman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For the deadener try searching for second skin on ebay and you should be able to find the factory direct seller on there. I would link but I'm at work. Never replaced speakers in a Tacoma but can't imagine its any more difficult than anything you've allready done. Somebody else may chime in on that.
I came up with a nice array of panties and bras when I searched for "second skin"