1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"entry-level" 6.5 components vs. "good" 6x9 coaxials

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by arkane, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Oct 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    arkane

arkane [OP] Active Member

Member:
    OC, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner Off-Road
    I plan on getting an Alpine CDA-105 headunit with the KTP-445 Power Pack (45watts RMS x4) and some Marv baffles. I want to keep things simple and don't want to deal with finding a place to mount crossovers.

So what would be better.. a set of entry-level components (w/ passive crossovers) or some decent 6x9 coaxials for my front setup? I've been checking out these speakers:

entry-level 6.5 components
    Alpine SPS-600C
    JL Audio TR650-CSi

decent 6x9 coaxials
    Pioneer Premier TS-D902P
    Alpine SPR-69C

2. Oct 10, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    If you looking at entry level and budget I would assume. I would suggest the 6.5 comps.

Image Dynamcis CTX's

or

Phoenix Gold RSD

3. Oct 10, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    you could also go 6x9 components. image dynamics has top of the line and eclipse has the middle ground. i purchased the eclipse set sc6900 based on recommendations from mr marv.

4. Oct 10, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    I'd agree with your idea about the ID XS69 comp set other than he doesnt have near the power he needs to make the sing. If you want to step up the power and then want to get serious about your sound then by all means, do the XS69's....I run them in the Taco and LOVE them.

5. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Crossovers can be easily hidden and mounted underneath the front seats. I simply took a razor, made slits in the carpet, then zip-tied the crossovers in place. You may have to remove the seat bolts for easier install access. Install time is under 30 minutes, feeding wire takes a bit more time, but is very simple.

I would NOT get that head unit. You have to find a place to put that power pack, and if you want to move to amps, you will toss the power pack and be stuck with a deck that only feeds 2 volts. I would say get the Alpine 9886, as the difference between 4 volts and 2 volts is phenomenal.

If you never plan to run amps, keep your speaker purchases relatively inexpensive. Do tests at your local stereo shop sound room with an unamplified deck to find out what you need.

6. Oct 12, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Gossamer

Gossamer Howard Roark

Member:
    West of Illinois and East of Nebraska
    i'm telling you, if you don't listen to Boston Acoustics you'll be sorry. They are great.

Products Discussed in

To Top