Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

"entry-level" 6.5 components vs. "good" 6x9 coaxials

Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
arkane is on a distinguished road
arkane's Tacoma Gallery
Post "entry-level" 6.5 components vs. "good" 6x9 coaxials

I plan on getting an Alpine CDA-105 headunit with the KTP-445 Power Pack (45watts RMS x4) and some Marv baffles. I want to keep things simple and don't want to deal with finding a place to mount crossovers.

So what would be better.. a set of entry-level components (w/ passive crossovers) or some decent 6x9 coaxials for my front setup? I've been checking out these speakers:

entry-level 6.5 components
Alpine SPS-600C
JL Audio TR650-CSi

decent 6x9 coaxials
Pioneer Premier TS-D902P
Alpine SPR-69C
Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
If you looking at entry level and budget I would assume. I would suggest the 6.5 comps.

Image Dynamcis CTX's

or

Phoenix Gold RSD
Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
you could also go 6x9 components. image dynamics has top of the line and eclipse has the middle ground. i purchased the eclipse set sc6900 based on recommendations from mr marv.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
I'd agree with your idea about the ID XS69 comp set other than he doesnt have near the power he needs to make the sing. If you want to step up the power and then want to get serious about your sound then by all means, do the XS69's....I run them in the Taco and LOVE them.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Crossovers can be easily hidden and mounted underneath the front seats. I simply took a razor, made slits in the carpet, then zip-tied the crossovers in place. You may have to remove the seat bolts for easier install access. Install time is under 30 minutes, feeding wire takes a bit more time, but is very simple.

I would NOT get that head unit. You have to find a place to put that power pack, and if you want to move to amps, you will toss the power pack and be stuck with a deck that only feeds 2 volts. I would say get the Alpine 9886, as the difference between 4 volts and 2 volts is phenomenal.

If you never plan to run amps, keep your speaker purchases relatively inexpensive. Do tests at your local stereo shop sound room with an unamplified deck to find out what you need.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Howard Roark
Gossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud ofGossamer has much to be proud of

Gossamer's Tacoma Gallery
i'm telling you, if you don't listen to Boston Acoustics you'll be sorry. They are great.