1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So i'm posting a question about a Mustang...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Metallikatz3, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Sorry about doing this but Mustang forums SUCK!

My girlfriend has a 2004 GT convertable with the Mach 460 sound system which consists of 2 front door tweeters, 2 front door mids, and 2 rear deck mids. One of the front door mids was obviously blown so i replaced both front door speakers with cheap(ish) Sony speakers. They're rated at 35 watts RMS and 190 peak and have 4 ohm impedenced.

The system has an amp for the rear mids and a seperate amp for the front mids.

Now since i replaced the speakers the front mids are fading in and out under heavy bass and occassionally make a cracking or popping noise.

Here's my thoughts on the problem and any additional input is appreciated:
    1. My wiring is just backwards or loose or something else is causing an issue with the wiring (ie the window is hitting it and causing it to come loose).
    2. The amp for the front speaker is fried.
    3. The resistance on the Sony speakers isn't the same as the factory ones and causing the amp to become unstable

Any thoughts? Her car isn't near me to check any of this stuff myself otherwise i would so i wanna have some good ideas about what to do next time i see her.

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    Option 3 most likely.

Usually when repairing/replacing the MACH system, you either need to replace the entire thing with something aftermarket or purchase OEM parts.

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Yeah i was worried about that. One of my buddies is a ford mechanic and he just told me the same thing cuz the factory speakers are either 6 or 8 ohm

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Yup. I had a 01 mustang with the same MACH system and when i was looking into changing out 1 speaker because it was blown, Everybody told me i would have to either get some sort of an adapter/harness or change out the entire system. Their suggestion was to just change out the system.

5. Oct 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Yeah i've figured out the OEM speakers were 6 ohm and replacing them with 4 ohm puts more of a load on the amp somehow and makes it unstable.

It's my gf's car and she doesn't want to put much money in to it so i'm just gonna get some OEM speakers again and hope i didn't damage the amp otherwise i'll be replacing that too.

Thanks for your input guys!! I got more of a useful response on here then i did on some mustang forums. Just another reason tacomaworld is the best forum EVER!

Products Discussed in

To Top