Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sirius connection via OEM radio antenna relay

Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Oilcan is on a distinguished road

Oilcan's Tacoma Gallery
Sirius connection via OEM radio antenna relay

Been reading through some of the threads on how to hard-wire a MP3/I-pod/Zune/XM/Sirius.

Iím a Sirius subscriber and have a Stiletto (sweet little unit!).

The Stiletto is portable and the car kit that is made for the Stiletto has an IR control, so Iíll be installing it with the headphone jack.

Or

When I first got my Sirius subscription, I bought an antenna relay that was supposed to connect between the stereo and the antenna cord. Itís supposed to provide a hard-wire-like sound quality (no static as with the REALLY lame FM modulator).

My question: Do I have to pull apart the dash to get at the antenna connector, or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance!

-Cheers

Oilcan
Old 02-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if you read the "stereo updrage" sticky at the top of this section...audio&visual...there are pics and directions on how to take out the radio...it is VERY simple once u know how
Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
08TXTACO is on a distinguished road
08TXTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Hey before you install wait till this evening, I have a Stiletto also. Ill post pics of where and how I installed!!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #4

Oilcan's Tacoma Gallery
Will Do!

Thanks!

I donít plan on performing the surgery until Saturday.

On another note-

A few years back, I bought the FM relay for my Sirius, back when I had my `00 Taco. But I never installed it because, again, I didnít want to tear open my dash. So I bought a cassette player adapter that worked great.
But now my `08 Taco doesnít have the cassette player, so Iím forced to install the relay.

Iím fairly sure the antenna cable plug/socket size hasnít changed since `00, but I believe that adapters are readily available? Backup plan would be to buy a new relay. If that happens, Iíll skip the relay and install the AUX adapter.

Looking forward to your pics and report!

In particular- Iíd like to know have easy it is to pry off the controls and what the back of the OEM radio looks like.

My biggest fear is that re-installing the head and controls isnít as ďtightĒ as the factory installation and I produce a ďrattleĒ. Well, maybe thatís the second biggest fear. The biggest is that I scratch of gouge the front finish while prying off the controls!!!

I donít want to hurt my new baby!!!

-Oilcan
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Heres what I promised

Old 02-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
And one more....
Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #7

Oilcan's Tacoma Gallery
Did ya get pics of the back of the head unit?
Were the control clips difficult to pop?

FYI- I had my Stiletto mounted in front of the AC vent and when the heater was on, it overheated the Stiletto. The Stiletto will shut itself down when that happens.

I'm planning in adhearing the dock just to the right of the power jack.