Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How To: Install a USB Charger/Connection Port in a Factory Blank

Old 11-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #21
I'd rather be diving than working..
UpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

UpstateTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyTuRD View Post
they should usually a manufacture will make blanks fit for all vehicles...if you look at the Aux in the pics in the 1st post they look to be the same...The big question woudl be where to plug teh cable on the back of the radio...if possible.
Well I emailed the guy back asking about the cable. He promises to email me pictures and part number, but have to wait until he gets them. It may be around the thanksgiving weekend before i hear anything since its not stocked locally. Once he gets them and gives me the info, i will post it on TW. told him that several people were intrested, and i believe that once we get this info, more people will buy it.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
The questions is, is the 12v to 5v converter in the AUX jack, or in the radio? If it's not connected to the AUX plug / blank, then it would be pointless huh..
Old 11-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #23
UpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
The questions is, is the 12v to 5v converter in the AUX jack, or in the radio? If it's not connected to the AUX plug / blank, then it would be pointless huh..
Yeah thats true. But.... people who have the aftermart radios that have usb, could mod the cables to work with the aftermarket radio. one would probally have to like cut another usb cable and solder the ends to the plug from the aux.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #24
SportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the rough

SportyTuRD's Tacoma Gallery
The aux/usb for the tundra plugs directly into the radio so the radio has to be putting out the 5v power...If you buy a cig adaprt usb charger...it has the converter built in the the plug...I found a Scoche(sp) USb gig adapter that was square...I tried to make it fit in the hole for the blank but it was too big...If i had a dremel handy it would have been a different story.

this is the one I bought ...i will probably just dismatle it and put the female plug into the blank...
In the OP how did you secure the USB in the blank?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #25
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah..and it could still come in handy to those who have extra blanks next to the cig lighters, to use for an OEM look. I don't have any blanks there =(
Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #26
╒╪╕

Quote:
In the OP how did you secure the USB in the blank?

He trimmed the blank just enough to fit the female USB thru the front, it's held by friction. That's why he cut the USB extension cord and soldered it back
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #27

Yeah if it doesnt look like we could do it with the tundra, then i wont do it.. it'd be cheaper to do the custom usb mod. hopefully get an answer by next friday.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #28
SportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the rough

screw all this i am just extending 12v wires to my arm rest and have the cig adapter in there out of sight no ugly wires then...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #29

Quote:
screw all this i am just extending 12v wires to my arm rest and have the cig adapter in there out of sight no ugly wires then...
aww dont give up to easy.. be patience!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #30

i think i would use the original rubber skin surround to the usb cord...Put it in from the rear of the blank and use a bead fo glue from a glue gun to hold it in place...that way USB isnt exposed and protruding out...Actualy forms a hole...
lol get it...
female...
hole...
hahah

re-read this post agian with dirty thoughts in your head...But it is what i woudl do to install the port...lol
Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #31
╒╪╕

i've been debating on where to install mine.. I have all the materials ready to go. I think I might see if i can fit it on my dash kit above the clock somewhere..
Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #32

Quote:
i've been debating on where to install mine.. I have all the materials ready to go. I think I might see if i can fit it on my dash kit above the clock somewhere..
do you have 4x2 or 4x4...if you have a 4x2 like the OP shows, Use the change pocket...I would put it in there...hold the Ipod/cables and everything is hidden from view...No one woudl know there is a USB port in the car...I have the 4x4 so no empty pocket in that location.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #33
╒╪╕

Quote:
do you have 4x2 or 4x4...if you have a 4x2 like the OP shows, Use the change pocket...I would put it in there...hold the Ipod/cables and everything is hidden from view...No one woudl know there is a USB port in the car...I have the 4x4 so no empty pocket in that location.
which change pocket? below the vent on the right side of steering wheel?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #34

Quote:
which change pocket? below the vent on the right side of steering wheel?
yes exactly...cut a hole in that and hide...it is all about wire management and accesability in my book.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #35
╒╪╕

i like having my iphone placed on the center console next the the random cupholder tho. I have a rubber case on it so it stays put. I even though about mounting the female USB plug where the armrest meets the center console, so the plug would be facing the stereo..I could then let the usb cable hang beside the seat...hmm...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #36

Quote:
i like having my iphone placed on the center console next the the random cupholder tho. I have a rubber case on it so it stays put. I even though about mounting the female USB plug where the armrest meets the center console, so the plug would be facing the stereo..I could then let the usb cable hang beside the seat...hmm...

another wise location...

or put it in the side of the cup holder...just make sure you dont get liquids in it.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #37
╒╪╕

Quote:
another wise location...

or put it in side of the cup holder...just make sure you dont get liquids in it.
I thought about inside the cupholder too, but i dont think thats a good idea. fast food cups tend to sweat quite a bit
Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #38

the camry has teh best setup for a power port and Aux input.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #39

I have a TRD and i am just going to relocate my 110v plug in the bed to my cup holder and use my Home charger...lol
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #40
ElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ElectronMan's Tacoma Gallery
Wow.. this thread went crazy. I haven't been paying much attention.

SportyTuRD, I had no idea that the '10 Tundras have a new USB port. That would have been a fantastic option if the blank fits. I'm going to have to keep my eye on it when it becomes available.

Had it been available, it would have essentially been the same amount of work to install it though. The majority of the work is getting everything apart.