Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How To: Install a USB Charger/Connection Port in a Factory Blank

Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #41
I'd rather be diving than working..
UpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

UpstateTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronMan View Post
Wow.. this thread went crazy. I haven't been paying much attention.

SportyTuRD, I had no idea that the '10 Tundras have a new USB port. That would have been a fantastic option if the blank fits. I'm going to have to keep my eye on it when it becomes available.

Had it been available, it would have essentially been the same amount of work to install it though. The majority of the work is getting everything apart.
Well i am waiting on the guy from sparks to email me back if it is what i think it is, then i will probally bite the bullet and order it once it comes in and he emails me photos. Hopefully will arrive this week so he can get pictures to me
Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #42
UpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well guys i finally got an email back from the guy at sparks toyota. Here are the pictures

The toyota part number is

86190-0C020

According to him, he said all one would have to do is install a usb cable, but the picture is kinda of fuzzy so its hard to tell. If someone could get their hands on it, that would be sweet. Sparks is 4 hours away from me so i couldn't really tell.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #43
ElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ElectronMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateTacoma View Post

The toyota part number is

86190-0C020

According to him, he said all one would have to do is install a usb cable, but the picture is kinda of fuzzy so its hard to tell. If someone could get their hands on it, that would be sweet. Sparks is 4 hours away from me so i couldn't really tell.
That is bad ass. I hate I missed out on that. Too bad I'm on the other side of the state, I would really like to see it. Maybe I'll order it.

Good work Upstate.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #44

Quote:
That is bad ass. I hate I missed out on that. Too bad I'm on the other side of the state, I would really like to see it. Maybe I'll order it.

Good work Upstate.
What part of SC are you in? Sparks toyota is in Myrtle beach.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #45
SportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the roughSportyTuRD is a jewel in the rough

SportyTuRD's Tacoma Gallery
Upstate, if you get the cable as well it will probably plug and play in your radio?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #46
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I'm wondering if that can be hard wired to power instead of the radio. I only want one to charge. My head unit already has an iPod cable to sync with my stereo (but it doesnt charge)
Old 11-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyTuRD View Post
Upstate, if you get the cable as well it will probably plug and play in your radio?
Well it doesnt come with the cable and i am wondering if its part of a harness thats tied in with the other connectors. Thats why if someone was willing to get the part, we could see if it able to directly connect with a usb cable, and then cut the usb cable to tap into the power.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #48
kartracer will become famous soon enough
kartracer's Tacoma Gallery
I got one of these out of a tundra and a usb cable wont just plug into it but i took mine apart and did some studying and after about 5 min of pondering i started cutting with the drimil and now a usb extension cable plugs rite in to the back the head phone jack aux in will not work tho and it dosnt have any kind of power inverter in it so you cant just hook it strate to 12v you would have to do it like the guy on the first page i just pluged it into my decks usb cable
Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
I got one of these out of a tundra and a usb cable wont just plug into it but i took mine apart and did some studying and after about 5 min of pondering i started cutting with the drimil and now a usb extension cable plugs rite in to the back if any one want me to mod one for them just let me know i can get the part mod it and ship it to you for $30 bucks the head phone jack aux in will not work tho it dosnt have any kind of power inverter in it so you cant just hook it strate to 12v you would have to do it like the guy on the first page i just pluged it into my decks usb cable
Or you can give us a write up of how you did it...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #50
MyMistress is on a distinguished road

MyMistress's Tacoma Gallery
I can not believe this thread ended like this! It's as if someone ripped the last 10 pages out of the back of a book... did anyone do a write up... did anyone get the USB and AUX to work?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #52
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
and he went back a month later and raised his price by $10
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #53
ElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've been holding this one back but now that I see KartRacer has bumped his price up by $10. I'm going to let it out because it's pissing me off.

This is a community for sharing information. I didn't make this thread, take the pictures, and publish a 'how-to' for my personal gain. Why? Because it is a community. In communities you share information. It never crossed my mind to make a buck of the information I provided. The road goes both ways, others provide information as do I and everyone profits.

KartRacer has the audacity to offer a 'service' in a thread where someone if offering up information and then has the gall to raise his price. Here's is what I am going to do. I am going to purchase the AUX/USB port, take lots of pictures, and write a detailed 'How-To' on how to modify the part. AND it's going to be FREE! Look forward to updates.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #54
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
I've been holding this one back but now that I see KartRacer has bumped his price up by $10. I'm going to let it out because it's pissing me off.

This is a community for sharing information. I didn't make this thread, take the pictures, and publish a 'how-to' for my personal gain. Why? Because it is a community. In communities you share information. It never crossed my mind to make a buck of the information I provided. The road goes both ways, others provide information as do I and everyone profits.

KartRacer has the audacity to offer a 'service' in a thread where someone if offering up information and then has the gall to raise his price. Here's is what I am going to do. I am going to purchase the AUX/USB port, take lots of pictures, and write a detailed 'How-To' on how to modify the part. AND it's going to be FREE! Look forward to updates.
rep for you dude
Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #55
kartracer will become famous soon enough
kartracer's Tacoma Gallery
i would do a rite up but don't have another one to cut up to show what i had to cut
Old 01-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #57
MyMistress is on a distinguished road

MyMistress's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
rep for you dude
x2!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #58

Look what arrived yesterday!! I need to teach Sparks Toyota how to take pictures. The pictures were taken shortly after I dismantled the Tundra USB Plug and reassembled. It's pretty much what everyone expects, USB/3.5mm stereo jack. Although I did find it surprising that each connection (USB, 3.5mm) has its plug. The 'USB' looking female socket on the back of the unit, is in fact, not a USB female socket. Male USB plugs are 12mm and the plug pictures is 10mm wide on the inside. Do not fret, as I have a solution and have modified the Tundra USB Plug to accept a male USB plug. I would like to wrap up the project before I post a complete 'How To' and entertain questions. I hope to finish this weekend. In the mean time, let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #59
markram is just really nicemarkram is just really nicemarkram is just really nicemarkram is just really nice
markram's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2007 tacoma with the stock am/fm cd radio (no JBL). would like to buy a new lower panel with the blank switch holes and the USB/Aux switch and connect the switch to the radio, is this even possible? are our radios able to handle the USB/Aux features? is this what others have in mind too? be nice if everything was just plug and play...
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by markram View Post
i have a 2007 tacoma with the stock am/fm cd radio (no JBL). would like to buy a new lower panel with the blank switch holes and the USB/Aux switch and connect the switch to the radio, is this even possible? are our radios able to handle the USB/Aux features? is this what others have in mind too? be nice if everything was just plug and play...
I think that you will find that your stock radio does not have hardware to handle the USB/Aux features in stock format. More than likely you would need some sort of auxiliary adapter interface. My hopes are that once my audio project is complete, I will be able to use the USB port to integrate with an after market radio.