Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How To: Install a USB Charger/Connection Port in a Factory Blank

Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #61
comatosed is a jewel in the roughcomatosed is a jewel in the roughcomatosed is a jewel in the roughcomatosed is a jewel in the rough
comatosed's Tacoma Gallery
Hey everyone honestly there's a super simple way to get the usb in the black insert.

The backside has a long rectangle sized rod coming out of it with a cross support inside, if you match up a usb plug it is the same exact size.
Then what you have to do is trace it on the front. Cut the front out, and then go into the back and cut the supports out.
A small round file was very handy, and I imagine one with a straight edge would make it even cleaner. Only hollow it out enough for the usb plug to fit super tight.
Put a little super glue on the usb cord and jam it in until its flush with the front.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #62
markram is just really nicemarkram is just really nicemarkram is just really nicemarkram is just really nice
markram's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronMan View Post
I think that you will find that your stock radio does not have hardware to handle the USB/Aux features in stock format. More than likely you would need some sort of auxiliary adapter interface. My hopes are that once my audio project is complete, I will be able to use the USB port to integrate with an after market radio.
bummer deal... post up when ur done with ur project
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #63
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm any hiccups found with adding in the Tundra USB port? I might pick one of those up...looks pretty sweet
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #64
ElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ElectronMan's Tacoma Gallery
Other than the fact that you cannot use the 3.5mm jack found on the Tundra port, there haven't been many issues. I've actually sorted through them all installed the port prior to me selling my truck. I have been meaning to write a How-To or give some guidance. I've got a lot of pictures documenting the process. I'll try real hard to put it up this week.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #65
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markram View Post
i have a 2007 tacoma with the stock am/fm cd radio (no JBL). would like to buy a new lower panel with the blank switch holes and the USB/Aux switch and connect the switch to the radio, is this even possible? are our radios able to handle the USB/Aux features? is this what others have in mind too? be nice if everything was just plug and play...
Quote:
I think that you will find that your stock radio does not have hardware to handle the USB/Aux features in stock format. More than likely you would need some sort of auxiliary adapter interface. My hopes are that once my audio project is complete, I will be able to use the USB port to integrate with an after market radio.
I to have a 2007. I plan on switching out the radio to an aftermarket radio but am still interested in this mod. Does the 2009 lower panel fit on the 2007? Anyone know the part number of this piece, I am not even sure if Lower Panel is the correct term for it. I was looking forward to this little project when we were buying out truck. It didn't even occur to me that not all of the 2nd generation trucks didn't have this console until I got the truck home after I purchased it.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #66
sbates is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Steve
sbates's Tacoma Gallery
"13) The the lower driver side dash panel can now be disengaged by pulling towards the rear of the vehicle. There are about 5-6 clips that hold this piece. Remove electrical switches, tire pressure monitoring switch, and hood release latch for complete panel removal."

Is it possible to access the blank switches above this location when you pull out the dash panel? I'm considering installing the Blu Logic BT button in one of the blanks next to the fog light switch.

Thanks for your help,

-steve
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #67
Oldboatcrap is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Oldboatcrap's Tacoma Gallery
Superb post!

Superb post!. I am using your pictures and directions it to install my temp gauge.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #68
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Great work!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #69
tabooogus is on a distinguished road
tabooogus's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2008 tundra with the stock am/fm cd radio jBL). would like to buy a new lower panel with the blank switch holes and the USB/Aux switch and connect the switch to the radio, is this even possible? are our radios able to handle the USB/Aux features? is this what others have in mind too?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #70
Voodoochild 2k9 is on a distinguished road

Marines: VMT-6
Name: Randy
Voodoochild 2k9's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #71
dmn0805 is on a distinguished road
dmn0805's Tacoma Gallery
USB Adapter For 4Runner

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...gramCallOut=22

This link leads me to believe that this adapter would work in lower panel. I don't know if anyone else has explored this. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

(Its item #22 btw)
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #73
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
That's quite an ancient post bump. But that's OK. The original post is a good one and worth bringing back. I'd personally never seen this particular writeup before.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #74
benright is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Broghan
benright's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Other than the fact that you cannot use the 3.5mm jack found on the Tundra port, there haven't been many issues. I've actually sorted through them all installed the port prior to me selling my truck. I have been meaning to write a How-To or give some guidance. I've got a lot of pictures documenting the process. I'll try real hard to put it up this week.
For anyone still waiting for the write up it can be found here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...head-unit.html