1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone done this to a 2nd Gen DC for a BIG Sub??

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by AlexForbesR6, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 [OP] My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    So i am a pretty bg music buff...and i like to do some really custom things that not many ppl have...and i was thinking recently about when i put a sub in my truck...i have a 2007 Double Cab and i know i could go the route that most ppl who want BIG sound get the jl 13 inch shallow mount behing the rear seats...well i was going to go that route but i had a though, has anyone removed just the driver's side rear seat and made a custom box to fit there with a large sub like a jl w7 or kicker solo x? I know that it is separate from the middle and passenger side rear seats and i rarely carry more than three ppl so i was thinking i could try and do something really custom and do that but i was wondering if anyone else had done it or even tried it and failed? Any hardcore box builders like Mr. Marv..what sort of problems do you think i would encounter? I am going to try and take that side out by the end of the week to put my bike tool chest in for the weekend cause im doing a track day that i am going to have to sleep overnight cause its about 5 hours away so i guess i can see how i like not having that seat there...

All input is welcome!!

2. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    I'm sure you can do it. But will it look like garbage? Also for the bot the only problem I see it the curvature of the lid to the storage compartment under the seat.

3. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 [OP] My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd

that was something i was pondering because its not separate like the seats...its the full width of the cab...it wouldn't be a "box" in the sense of the word...it would have to be a very custom shape...maybe make it have "feet" in te front and back and then fiberglass the whole thing to make it flow with the curvature of it... i guess i would have to dynamat that lid and compartment too so it wont rattle...

as far as appearences i could probably colour match carpet and cover the whole thing in that same carpet...or even colour match it to the truck and paint it that colour...idk

4. Oct 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    That sounds like a decent plan. All I can say is google it for reasearch. In my opinion you would be better off getting 2 quality subs and traditionally mounting them. But if you could pull this off props to ya.

5. Dec 11, 2009 at 4:05 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    Sorry to bring back an older thread, but after much research and experimentation have successfully moved the rear seats of my DC forward..granted its not alot, but all I needed to resolve clearance issues.

I moved the seat bottom forward 1/2", and the seat back 3/4", using 3/8" spacers and longer 10X1.25"X45 bolts. The trick however, is extending the U-brackets bolted to the back of the truck which lock the seat backs.
    When spaced, the factory plastic trim panel will not fit. I am picking up 5/16" round bar today, as I have decided to cut, extend, and paint them.
    Keep in mind the brackets dont have to be extended at all, as the seat backs still lock in place...however I require a clean 3/4" additional clearance top and bottom for my application.

The seat-bottom tab (part of the actual floor) will require VERY minimal grinding, but IMO engages better now then it ever did.

I will be posting pics of this mod, as well as my system/sound deadening install after the holidays when it is complete.

Hope this helps.

6. Dec 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue

have you completed this project yet?

7. Dec 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    I successfully moved the rear seats yes...I have spent the last 4 days tearing my truck to bare metal, sound deadening, and wiring. Ensolite will happen tomorrow, then reassembly.

Here is a link where I posted some additional info and pics on the rear seats. I will post a during/after install thread with lots of pics when I'm done with everything.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/64978-rear-seat-rub-issue.html

Products Discussed in

To Top