Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #221
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I guess Toyota didn't think we would need to be under the hood enough to justify putting on gas shocks.
sorry for kinda jacking thread!! hey dad 2000 tundra has them! and we never put them on!! lol. i don't under stand why they are on it and not the new tacoma's
Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #222
Jason
SlickTaco78 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
SlickTaco78's Tacoma Gallery
This was incredibly helpful. Thanks.

Anyone else do their install at night time? I did.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #223
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Finished in daylight does that count? Truck buttoned up and tools pushed out of the way in time for a 5:00 AM test drive.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #224
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
On Friday I installed my Pioneer DEH-6300UB from Crutchfield. Super easy! These instructions were a good starting point for the removal of the old. Crutchfield's instructions were great when it came to the wiring. I soldered all my wiring & installed the steering controller also. From start to finish it took me 6 hours. Mostly because this was my first stereo install & I was taking my time. Took an hour trouble shooting the steering controll adapter, to realize I connected a wrong wire. Should have been Green/Orange & I hooked Orange/Green up. Easy fix & everything works great! Much louder than the stock stereo.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #225
RichieW13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
RichieW13's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't put an aftermarket stereo in a car in 10+ years (one of the many signs of getting old, I suppose). I'm looking at putting one of the in-dash GPS units such as the Kenwood DNX6180.

It appears these suckers all seem to have built-in amps these days, so all that is really needed is to replace the head unit. Correct?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #226
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
As long as it has at least 20W RMS per channel you should be fine.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #227
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
ref. DNX6160 question

you will need to buy the wiring harness so that you can wire it into your existing plugs so you do not have to cut any wires. You will also have to buy the face plate for the year model you have. You may want to buy the steering wheel control wiring harness if you have steering wheel controls on your wheel. This is what I have found doing some research. I am still trying to figure out if I can use my existing back up camera with this head unit or if I will have to buy another.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #228
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidfor View Post
ref. DNX6160 question

you will need to buy the wiring harness so that you can wire it into your existing plugs so you do not have to cut any wires. You will also have to buy the face plate for the year model you have. You may want to buy the steering wheel control wiring harness if you have steering wheel controls on your wheel. This is what I have found doing some research. I am still trying to figure out if I can use my existing back up camera with this head unit or if I will have to buy another.
Crutchfield gives you the wiring harness & plastic shroud free when you purchase the radio from them. Plus free tech support if there is any problems with the install. Free shipping. I learned about Crutchfield from other tw members.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #229
ShawnH72 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 14 yrs
Name: Shawn
ShawnH72's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my new Kenwood stereo this weekend and I just wanted to thank everyone on here! All of the posts, pictures, recommendations, etc helped to make this a very easy switch from factory to aftermarket. Plus it sounds great!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-100_0055.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #230
YotaComa22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
YotaComa22's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of putting a Clarion CX501. I have the dash kit and the harness but I have a question on the three plugs that plug into my 2007 Tacoma factory deck and there is only two plugs for the harness.....I'm not getting any power to my new deck. Any ideas.....???? Thanks....
Old 07-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #231
2011 Tacoma Access Cab TRD 4x4
tacomaSquid2011 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation machinists mate at VP-30
Name: Eugene
tacomaSquid2011's Tacoma Gallery
When you are wiring the PAC steering wheel controls up - ENSURE you ground it to both the car's steering wheel control's harness AND the radio harness. It will not operate the stereos fucntions if you dont do this...I had to figure this part out. The instructions are very vague...
Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #232
elario07 is on a distinguished road
elario07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnH72 View Post
I installed my new Kenwood stereo this weekend and I just wanted to thank everyone on here! All of the posts, pictures, recommendations, etc helped to make this a very easy switch from factory to aftermarket. Plus it sounds great!!!

I had the same problem with mine. My dash lights are on during the day then when I turn on my headlights I get no light on the dash board.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #233
2011tacotrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
2011tacotrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaSquid2011 View Post
When you are wiring the PAC steering wheel controls up - ENSURE you ground it to both the car's steering wheel control's harness AND the radio harness. It will not operate the stereos fucntions if you dont do this...I had to figure this part out. The instructions are very vague...
Help me out Squid, I am about to get from crutchfield, a pioneer x930bt navigation. I have got the ipod adaptor and the steering wheel adaptor. Crutch throws in wiring harness and install kit (plastic shroud). Everything looks cut and dry except your concern. which I want to make sure I get it right. Can you explain the process to hooking up both grounds and where to connect them exactly. thanks a million in advance for anyone that can elaborate on this more.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #234
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #235
Arizona Rob is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 4T0X1 - Medical
Arizona Rob's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome

Gotta say, for a new Taco owner guides like this are awesome and thanks!

Rob
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #236
Toy taco
bluesteel731 will become famous soon enough
bluesteel731's Tacoma Gallery
i've got a 07 trd tacoma with 6 cd changer and steering remote ctrls,
i've read all 12 pages but couldnt find an answer as to the system being JBL or not.. can someone shed some light?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #237
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel731 View Post
i've got a 07 trd tacoma with 6 cd changer and steering remote ctrls,
i've read all 12 pages but couldnt find an answer as to the system being JBL or not.. can someone shed some light?
no idea. Check the Toyota dealer, or the Toyota owners website (it wasn't working last week when I tried logging in). The VIN # will tell if it is JBL or not.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #238
elario07 is on a distinguished road
elario07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
no idea. Check the Toyota dealer, or the Toyota owners website (it wasn't working last week when I tried logging in). The VIN # will tell if it is JBL or not.

The jbl would be the fancy one with all the extras. The none jbl would be the basic version stereo.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #239
Reach High Design is on a distinguished road

Reach High Design's Tacoma Gallery
My write-ups on installation of the Kenwood DNX9960 and Rockford Fosgate IBEAM IB-200 250W Tactile Transducer include a great range of pictures, installation pointers, and wiring diagrams that would be helpful to anyone reading here. Included are the particulars of installing the PAC SWI-JACK steering wheel control module, bypassing the Brake Sensor Safety Feature, and installing an ample bass solution that doesn’t take up any useful space in the truck.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #240
DIYFool is on a distinguished road
DIYFool's Tacoma Gallery
Great Instructions!

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions, and the pics re: removing the OEM radio. We did not replace the radio (2006 Tacoma) --just added a USA Spec iPod Interface with an RCA cable, in order to play non-Apple devices (Droid phone). We encountered exactly what you described and the installation was a breeze. You, sir, know your stuff.