LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #242
jspetrovitsis is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jspetrovitsis's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone had problems with getting their factory subwoofer to work properly with an aftermarket head unit??? Its getting full power but it is not putting out bass. I am thinking I am going to need to run a separate wire just for the sub
Old 03-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #243
drubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Avionics Craftsman, 33 AMXS, 33 Fighter Wing
Name: Brad
drubacca117's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, great description and pics! My 3 year old decided it would be a good idea to throw some change in to my CD player, and I was worried I was going to have to completely remove the dash in order to get the radio out... I don't know why I thought this... Maybe just because it looks so seamless...

This method should work on a 2012, correct?

Thanks for the great post!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #244
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspetrovitsis View Post
has anyone had problems with getting their factory subwoofer to work properly with an aftermarket head unit??? Its getting full power but it is not putting out bass. I am thinking I am going to need to run a separate wire just for the sub
Did you get the JBL wire harness? Their is a special one just for taco's with JBL.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #245
jspetrovitsis is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jspetrovitsis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Did you get the JBL wire harness? Their is a special one just for taco's with JBL.
i dont think i have the JBL system, the back of my stock head unit is made my panasonic
Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #246
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
factory sub = jbl system
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #247
tacoidaho is on a distinguished road
tacoidaho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
no idea. Check the Toyota dealer, or the Toyota owners website (it wasn't working last week when I tried logging in). The VIN # will tell if it is JBL or not.

I spent an hour and never found where the info is for JBL or not?
Where are you talking about EXACTLY
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #248
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If the head unit or the door grills have a JBL logo, you have it. Otherwise there will be no logo.

Example of JBL logo here
Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #249
Fabrizio is on a distinguished road
Name: Fabrizio
Fabrizio's Tacoma Gallery
Hello. I am thinking about installing an aftermarket unit in my 2007 prerunner. I am maily looking for sound quality and bluetooth (phone and music). Is there a way to avoid that space under the unit with a single Din? I don't want to go with double din if I don't have to as these units are more expesive. Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #250
Nuggety

You could squirt some JB Weld in them thur hole, make it all purdy like with yur drywall knife, even sayin'!

Short story, there isn't a pre-made solution. You'd have to try something along the lines of getting lucky with cutting up plastic or you might get a fiberglass insert... which would look goofy.

Bottom line, why do you NOT want an extra pocket? I have a CB radio and my gum in there. If my radio had a remote, I'd stick that in there, too. It's a handly spot to have.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #251
I would like to keep the "original look" as much as possible.... I will continue with my research in the mean time... I am now looking at double Dims.... Thanks!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #252
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
Hello. I am thinking about installing an aftermarket unit in my 2007 prerunner. I am maily looking for sound quality and bluetooth (phone and music). Is there a way to avoid that space under the unit with a single Din? I don't want to go with double din if I don't have to as these units are more expesive. Thanks

Quote:
I would like to keep the "original look" as much as possible.... I will continue with my research in the mean time... I am now looking at double Dims.... Thanks!
This is my single. The slot underneath will hold cds.

Crutchfield gives several things FREE with a stereo purchase. And they have good prices.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #253
That is a good picture. Does it look ok with the climate control panel being textured and the radio panel being just "flat silver"?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #254
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is a good picture. Does it look ok with the climate control panel being textured and the radio panel being just "flat silver"?
Radio panel matches & is textured.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #255
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know the thread pattern of the 10mm bolts that hold the brackets to the frame?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #256
jjstacoma is on a distinguished road
jjstacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Hey to all. I have a 2012 Dbl Cab and I was wondering if its possible to install the JBL complete stereo in my truck.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #257
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
For the 2012 taco, do you have to remove the front stereo face in order to have access to the screws to remove the airbag indicator/clock?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #258
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Ok, here are the other pictures that I was going to show you.

This is what the 2nd Gen. Tacoma's dash looks like with the stereo removed. This dash has plenty of room for a full size, double DIN, head unit with DVD and Navigation capabilities. However, I am only installing a single DIN size JVC head unit and an iPod adapter interface so I can listen to and control my iPod from my stereo.

This is where I mounted the JVC iPod adapter inside the dash below where the stereo will go. Fortunately there is a little shelf that is made out of the forming plastic that is in the dash. I just sat the adapter on this shelf and secured it using the double sided tape provided by JVC.

I had another option when I was putting the JVC iPod adapter in place. I could have put it in the center console just aft of the gear shift. This would have allowed me to run the cable back to the console compartment. I decided not to go this route because it would require me drilling a hole into the compartment so the cable could come in. I did not want to put ANY holes in my new truck.

LdyTaco05 - I hope this answers your questions. The iPod adapter connects at one end to the stereo (CD Changer control slot) and at the other end to the iPod.
I just skimmed through this whole thread and searched TW but haven't found an answer. This quote is all I've found but I'm sure I've seen other members have done this. But I'm considering buying this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130APPR...-AppRadio.html app unit for use with my 4S. My question is how hard is it to integrate the factory back up camera into this?

Also looking for opinions on this unit. I see some bad reviews about some bugs but also have seen a comment from Amazon on it saying there is a firmware upgrade that is supposed to fix it. Has a lot of great reviews also. Seems to me if you have a 4 or 4S Iphone you're good.

Anyway looks like a heck of a deal if it does work.

Edit: I thought I quoted a post that said "found the camera" but didn't see anything else in the thread about it.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #260
BillyP will become famous soon enoughBillyP will become famous soon enough
Coast Guard: CWO4-retired
Name: Billy
BillyP's Tacoma Gallery
Will these instructions work for removing the head unit from a 2013?