Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #261
2011 Tacoma Access Cab TRD 4x4
tacomaSquid2011 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation machinists mate at VP-30
Name: Eugene
tacomaSquid2011's Tacoma Gallery
These instructions should be valid until the next body style change for the Tacoma's.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #262
FMLYHM
BMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMiller421 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
BMiller421's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed..cus I need a new aftermarket stereo..
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #263
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
With a name like TacomaSquid and your location, I feel like you are a squid from KB? Use to live there not long ago myself.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #264
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmuck View Post
With a name like TacomaSquid and your location, I feel like you are a squid from KB? Use to live there not long ago myself.
... ^^^ ... JoeSchmuck ... Every time I see a submariner ... ... I think of that "hot racking" that you guys do ...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #265
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

LOL Hot racking. Way back in the day we would mess with a new person and tell him he needed to find a shower buddy for water conservation. It's funny when two newbies actually do it. The showers were very small on the old boats, barely enough room for one much less two. Sorry, I know this is a bit off topic. But I am looking to replace my factory unit with a new one with blue tooth capability. Not sure which one to buy, just started looking into it since I need to take apart the dash to install a Python 524 Remote Starter. I will also get it to turn on the Heat or A/C automatically because it's no fun when you forgot to turn that part on and you get into the car and the windshield is still frozen. I'll post the installation and hookup in an appropriate thread on this forum once it's done (could be a few months).
Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #266
I'm actually not a submariner. I'm a aviation machinistsmate. And if you look to the left of my post it says my location. I'm stationed at NAS Jacksonville. I have only done deployments on the USS Truman CVN-75. I Have never hot racked. My definition of hot racking would be someone not taking a shower after work and getting into their rack with the same clothes that they had been sweating and working in all day long. I have only seen someone do that once on my first deployment. At the end of our deployment when we are stripping the racks get an outline of dirt around where he slept because he never showered. That was one nasty dude.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #267
As far as your head unit, I would look at bestbuy. If it ever goes bad with their protection plan they will replace it. I know I got one a Kenwood from this local place called dady o's and it started displaying funky characters on the LCD after a few days. It was a single din unit. And they charged me like $30-$40 to trade it for a new one. They are thieves. But they are the only authorized Rockford fosgate dealer around here. If I were you I would get a double din unit and take a look at pioneers app radio - if you have an iPhone 4 or 4S - they have not updated the firmware for the iPhone 5. It also works with droid phones too. But
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #268
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
... ^^^ ... JoeSchmuck ... Every time I see a submariner ... ... I think of that "hot racking" that you guys do ...
I've worked on SH-60B's, SH-60F's, HH-60H's, P-3C's, and the new P-8A.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #269

I've got a nice amp and speakers already installed, did that shortly after I bought the truck. Now I'm looking for a good HU that I can match up the steering wheel controls as well. I know there are devices to make it work but the real trick for me is to make the HU look as if it could have been a factory option. Eventually I'll pull the trigger, likely as soon as my daughter gets her drivers license and I stop using her car (the one I'm giving her) and them it's the truck full time for me.

Yes, I've been to NAS Jacksonville a few times for sure, normally when I hit up the Orange Park area. It has been a few years for sure.

Your hot racking example would not be tolerated on a submarine. I've seen it a few times where a shipmate was not taking care of his personal hygiene and the Corpsman (we don't rate a doctor, probably better for us anyway) forced them into cleaning up their act. I know one person was flat out given an order by the CO and he complied or he would have been written up for disobeying a direct order and for not maintaining proper hygiene. Trust me, the offenders don't want his peers to handle it, we are not so kind. And I'm sure there were instances of the a crew handling it silently. It's like a thief on the boat, they better prey they are not found or some serious boat justice occurs. I recall one fella being yanked out of his rack, falling about 4 feet to the deck (thud), and two people taking him to the missile compartment for a little justice. Thefts stopped after that and I believe all the stuff was returned. It was a pretty quietly handled thing. I really do miss those days.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #270
Are you looking to have nav, DVD,or what? Go shop around at crutch fields website. Don't buy anything from them they are not always the cheapest. I just window shop on their website. Some brands that I've been looking at are pioneer and Sony for double din HU. I like touch screens and accurate touch sensitivity is something I'm very particular about. Hence me saying to check out best buy to play with them.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #271

I'm not looking for Nav, doesn't have to be touch screen either. My requirements are HD radio, Blue Tooth, CD and capability to be controlled by the steering wheel controls. The equalizer should have more than three bands preferred but three is the minimum. I also don't want to sink a grand into a HU, I can't justify that large of a cost for the little use I have for the truck right now.

I do look at Crutchfield but haven't been to the car audio section of a Best Buy in quite some time.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #272
There is a programmable adapter for your steering wheel controls they sale it at crutch field and I think you can get them at most car audio stores. Programming it is the only hard part.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #273
carattini is on a distinguished road
Name: David
carattini's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Running IPod wiring to the Glove Box

I installed a JVC stereo with a JVC IPod Adapter (runs through your CD Changer controls). The cable running to the IPod is run through the glove box. As you can see, there is plenty of room to not pinch or crimp the cable if it is run into the glove box. There is NO drilling required for any of this. I have placed the control unit underneath the stereo. The cable is not dificult to get into the glove box, but it does require you to think that you have small hands.

See Pictures Below:

Here is the stereo after I was finished...

As I stated before I will be adding to this as I take better pictures and as I am asked questions. Please let me

know if there is something that you have questions about or if I am incorrect in this thread... Thanks!
When I do this I'll try to put the Ipod/Iphone Cable to the compartment in the Arm Rest it will be more accesible since I use my Iphone not an Ipad I need to conect and disconnect it every time I get in and out of the truck...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #274

It should be very easy to run the cable into the arm rest. The thing comes apart easily. My only comment would be to place some sort of cable stop to prevent you from pulling the cable by accident. You might be able to secure it with small cable clamp somewhere under the center console, maybe using an existing screw.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #275
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this is has kind of been answered or not but I figured someone could answer either way. I will start with I like the factory look and the factory HU. I've seen some discussion about guys saying that there is really no need to upgrade your speakers without upgrading your stock HU. By upgrading speakers but not the HU you don't get the sound quality that you would get by upgrading it as well. My first question I guess is this because of the low power output from the factory HU? If that is the case could I upgrade the speakers by also adding in an amp to get more power to the speakers? Would that help with clarity? If the answer is still no what is different about an aftermarket HU other than output that makes the sound quality through the speakers better? I would like to upgrade my system but I've had some nice sound systems in the past and know how much they cost. Right now i'm tight on cash so I'm just trying to explore my options.

I have a 2013 double cab sport "without" the Entune system.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #276
SlowComa666 is on a distinguished road

SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
i too wish to keep the factory head unit. i think for the price [free] it is very capable.

replacing speakers would be the logical first step. if you find that the stock HU does not have enough output power...you can always go with an amplifier [the Alpine Power Pack seems popular here], just make sure the amp has speaker level inputs. if it does not, you can always get speaker level-->RCA adaptors.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #277
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowComa666 View Post
i too wish to keep the factory head unit. i think for the price [free] it is very capable.

replacing speakers would be the logical first step. if you find that the stock HU does not have enough output power...you can always go with an amplifier [the Alpine Power Pack seems popular here], just make sure the amp has speaker level inputs. if it does not, you can always get speaker level-->RCA adaptors.
What's that mean? Speaker level inputs?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #278
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowComa666 View Post

I am actually quite okay with the headunit in my 2013 with the touch screen and bluetooth, etc.

The speakers suck though. I would be okay with replacing them, hoping that the factory headunit can power them. I am not an audiophile but I would love to have a better sounding system. I wonder if I can replace the little tweeters though too, rather than simply going with a speaker that has them all on one?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #279
SlowComa666 is on a distinguished road

SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
What's that mean? Speaker level inputs?
RCA inputs are most common on amplifiers. these run at a much lower wattage than is required to drive a speaker.

some amplifiers have inputs that will accept speaker wires, some do not.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #280
If you want to keep your factory head unit you will have to get an adapter harness to wire into the back of it. You will absolutely need a Amplifier for your speakers. If you have just two door speakers, I would recommend a 2 channel amp. If you have 4 door speakers, I would recommend a 4 channel amp. If you plan on putting a Sub in your truck, you shouldn't have any problem doing so with the factory radio. You will just need a PEQ remote to control the bass. Also, if you go to a place such as best buy they can wire it up for you. The biggest part about speakers and sub's is tuning the amp. It must be done to achieve maximum clarity and balance(Sub hitting when needed and not constantly).

As far as the brand of speakers and amp. It doesn't matter really. I personally don't like any of Sony's speakers - but they have some nice head units. I would look at a component set for your front doors. I assume the models after mine (2011) still have a tweeter and a cone woofer in the door. Wiring is the most important part. You need the right resistance(Ohms) for the speaker set up that you have.

Other than that check out crutchfield's website for your truck adapter for the factory head unit. They should have one.