Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #281
SlowComa666 is on a distinguished road

SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
wow, do you guys just not trust yourselves enough to do your own work? BestBuy install? you have got to be kidding me
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #282
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaSquid2011 View Post
If you want to keep your factory head unit you will have to get an adapter harness to wire into the back of it. You will absolutely need a Amplifier for your speakers. If you have just two door speakers, I would recommend a 2 channel amp. If you have 4 door speakers, I would recommend a 4 channel amp. If you plan on putting a Sub in your truck, you shouldn't have any problem doing so with the factory radio. You will just need a PEQ remote to control the bass. Also, if you go to a place such as best buy they can wire it up for you. The biggest part about speakers and sub's is tuning the amp. It must be done to achieve maximum clarity and balance(Sub hitting when needed and not constantly).

As far as the brand of speakers and amp. It doesn't matter really. I personally don't like any of Sony's speakers - but they have some nice head units. I would look at a component set for your front doors. I assume the models after mine (2011) still have a tweeter and a cone woofer in the door. Wiring is the most important part. You need the right resistance(Ohms) for the speaker set up that you have.

Other than that check out crutchfield's website for your truck adapter for the factory head unit. They should have one.
Yea I don't understand the two channel four channel thing or ohms at all. I just don't really know squat about speakers and wiring. I have a double cab so i would say i have 6 speakers if you count the tweeter and speaker at bottom of door then the two in the back doors. i had a component set in a truck a long time ago and i remember it sounding really good . Ill have to consult you before I buy anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowComa666 View Post
wow, do you guys just not trust yourselves enough to do your own work? BestBuy install? you have got to be kidding me
Who are you talking to? Were just trying to figure out options. If I don't have time to do something myself or don't want to mess something up then I will usually take it to someone that does know what their doing. I guess no one has ever done any work on your truck you always do it yourself. I'm about to go install my 5100s now....by myself.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #283
2011 Tacoma Access Cab TRD 4x4
tacomaSquid2011 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation machinists mate at VP-30
Name: Eugene
tacomaSquid2011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowComa666 View Post
I installed everything in my truck myself. I made the door brackets out of 1/4 MDF and my 10" sub box out of 3/4 MDF. The HU and steering wheel controls adapter and programmed it. I'm just assuming everyone is not as skilled as me.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #284
SlowComa666 is on a distinguished road

SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
but they do have the capacity to learn, at least i hope they do.

with proper instruction anyone can do these things
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #285
nobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to beholdnobody4343 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jonathan
nobody4343's Tacoma Gallery
Ok guys i'm looking to install a system in my 06 double cab I have found a box and sub setup I like. My question is since I have a factory jbl system do i need to get the 75 dollar stereo harness kit or can I just use a regular harness? Since I'm gnna pull out hte factory sub is the jbl harness needed to do the install of an aftermarket deck?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #286
linne758 is on a distinguished road
Navy: 1st Class Petty Officer NMCB15
Name: Scott
linne758's Tacoma Gallery
Stereo Upgrade

I've read countless pages of what's the best first step to upgrading one's stereo. Personally, I'm going to start with the head unit, a Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. Many, make that essentially everyone, have said that doing so drastically improved the sound from the stock speakers. I know that eventually I will be adding a small sub and amp and would like to have a nice clean signal straight off the headunit without running one of those PAC things to convert the signal off the factory unit. Anyway, this is just my personal opinion and I thought I'd share. Posting pics tomorrow when install is complete. By the way, I removed the climate control knobs to remove the assembly from behind, versus prying with a flathead or putty knife as others have suggested. Simply pulled hard with my fingers after inserting them in the void left by removing the knobs. Worked flawlessly, no scratches to worry about. I have a 2013 and everything has been the same as far as location and ways to remove the HU in case anyone was wondering. Cheers
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #288
gotwood4sale is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
gotwood4sale's Tacoma Gallery

Is there a similar thread regarding First Gen?

Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #290
gotwood4sale is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
gotwood4sale's Tacoma Gallery

Thanks for the info.

I'm now going to go for a two mile walk, no broken glass, but plenty of freezing rain. Unlike your six mile trek, my circuit will leave me right back where I started!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #291
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished installing a Kenwood KDC-BT752HD
I got it for $119 at best buy...

Some advice for Kenwood installs..
1. If you have a MEtra Axxess steering wheel controls adapter for a kenwood or a JVC there will not be a 3.5mm plug on the back for the controller...you will have to wire the blue and yellow wire from the Kenwood harness to the solid brown wire of the 3.5mm female 2 wire adapter (brown and white brown) that came with the kit. The brown/white wire just gets taped off. Also get the turbo wire adapter...saves a ton of time.

2. When you put the Din sleeve in you will need to push the 2 flat tabs on the horizontal face right behind the trip piece flat...they will prevent the trim from fitting flush by causing it to bow away from the edges towards the radio...Then use a screwdriver to bend out the triangular retention metal flaps to make it snug.

3. For removing the hazard lights just get 4 flat head screwdrivers...lay the factory radio flat, place all 4 screwdrivers in the slots around the hazard from behind and then just pop it out...

Love this radio and it sounds decent on the factory speakers...I'll be replacing those next...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #292
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I am sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything with a quick search.

I have a 2005 Tacoma with JBL.

If I purchase a head unit out of a 2010 W/JBL, is it compatible? I would be looking to do this for the Aux ability.

I appreciate any help you can give.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #293
08tacoma510 is on a distinguished road
08tacoma510's Tacoma Gallery
sub woofer box

I.just bought 2 10in subs and wanted to know what kind of box would fit these behinds back seats in my 2008 double cab?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #294
hullabelew is on a distinguished road

hullabelew's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going stereo shopping this weekend. If the dealer won't replace my HU that just cuts out for no reason, no way is he getting my $500 to replace something that is a known problem.

Thanks to everyone for the great write-ups and pictures.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #295
FlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of lightFlashCulprit is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Joe
FlashCulprit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08tacoma510 View Post
I.just bought 2 10in subs and wanted to know what kind of box would fit these behinds back seats in my 2008 double cab?
Search the forum.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...x-install.html

Google for Tacoma sub enclosures, theres tons of boxes on ebay and other sites.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #296
TannerTaco is on a distinguished road

TannerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody ever drop one of the four 10mm bolts that holds the head unit in and had it disappear somewhere down below? Not that I would admit to such a thing, right? And IF I were to drop said bolt, how many dash panels have gotta come off to find it?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerTaco View Post
Anybody ever drop one of the four 10mm bolts that holds the head unit in and had it disappear somewhere down below? Not that I would admit to such a thing, right? And IF I were to drop said bolt, how many dash panels have gotta come off to find it?
OK, so I never found the bolt. I took the entire center console out and probed around with a magnetic pickup tool. No luck. I called the local dealership and asked if they had replacement bolts. They had to order one for me and I got it today. Best part...only 75 cents! The part number is 90105-A0007 in case anybody needs it. I attached a picture of the bolt and the part number.

Now if I can just get my dash kit and head unit lined up a little better. They don't seem to fit just right. Gotta do some fiddling with it. Anybody got any suggestions on how to make things fit better?
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-stereobolt.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #298
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerTaco View Post
OK, so I never found the bolt. I took the entire center console out and probed around with a magnetic pickup tool. No luck. I called the local dealership and asked if they had replacement bolts. They had to order one for me and I got it today. Best part...only 75 cents! The part number is 90105-A0007 in case anybody needs it. I attached a picture of the bolt and the part number.

Now if I can just get my dash kit and head unit lined up a little better. They don't seem to fit just right. Gotta do some fiddling with it. Anybody got any suggestions on how to make things fit better?
Or you can go to your local hardware store and pick up a M6 bolt for a nickel...

or maybe it was a M4 bolt.. I forget - it's been 3 yrs since I dropped mine. So long as you don't lose all 4, you can always take one that you still have and thread-fit it at the hardware store.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #299

I didn't figure my Lowe's would have it, and the Toyota place is right down the street from my work, so it worked out fine for me.

Did you ever find your bolt?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #300
AAlburrito is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
AAlburrito's Tacoma Gallery
How did you do the wiring into the glove box?