Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #301
TACOlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
TACOlin's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so I've looked around and can't find an answer to this on any forums, I'm getting a double-din touch screen stereo for my 2010 OR DCSB soon that has back up camera capabilities. And I would want to connect my current back up camera (located on my mirror) to the new stereo screen. Has anyone done this/ know how to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #302
HackD is a jewel in the roughHackD is a jewel in the roughHackD is a jewel in the rough
HackD's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all for this 'how to' topic, and your input into it. After 2 1/2 years of tolerating the stock stereo, I could no longer - and the Boxing Day sales (Canada, eh?) yielded a solution to the problem - a Kenwood DDX470 for $299.00. It's only half-installed at this point, due to the sun going down and temps dipping to sub-zero, but i did crank it on a pizza-run, and even my impaired hearing can tell the amazing difference between the stocker radio, and the Kenwood.

Y'all helped me out greatly - being the first car install i've done in better than 25 years - particularly with extracting that pesky clock/hazard switch module from the OEM surround, which had me scratching my noggin' for a good few minutes before i ran for the computer and did a search here to find the fix.

Tip for others - to defeat the tabs - 6 strips cut from a surplus window blind comes in real handy to slip in and knock the tabs back, and extract the module. Better than trying to keep 6 small screw-drivers straight

Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #303
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
I have done some searching and can't find this answer. It might be a foolish question, but I would rather ask it than find out the hard way. I was going to replace my stock head unit with a Alpine. I got everything, if I start, and don't finish, like for a day or 2 (due to other mess going on). I can still drive the truck with all that mess gone, right.
(no hazards, ac, stereo, hooked up). Didn't know if there was some crazy safety feature that cause the truck not to start.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #304
HackD is a jewel in the roughHackD is a jewel in the roughHackD is a jewel in the rough
HackD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-TRAIN View Post
I have done some searching and can't find this answer. It might be a foolish question, but I would rather ask it than find out the hard way. I was going to replace my stock head unit with a Alpine. I got everything, if I start, and don't finish, like for a day or 2 (due to other mess going on). I can still drive the truck with all that mess gone, right.
(no hazards, ac, stereo, hooked up). Didn't know if there was some crazy safety feature that cause the truck not to start.
Following the FAQ's, and watching one of the youtube videos of a Tacoma car radio install, should be sufficient to install a simple head-unit swap-out with wiring adapter harness within about an hour.

I did this on a cold January afternoon, and being my first car radio install in about 20 years.

I ran out of smokes halfway through the install, and drove to the corner store with the guts of the dash hanging out, environmental controls and clock unit removed. No warning lights noticed.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #305
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-TRAIN View Post
No there is nothing in there that needs to be hooked up for your truck to run. Sounds like you have something grounding out or wired up wrong.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #306
PMDclassics is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
PMDclassics's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linne758 View Post
I've read countless pages of what's the best first step to upgrading one's stereo. Personally, I'm going to start with the head unit, a Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. Many, make that essentially everyone, have said that doing so drastically improved the sound from the stock speakers. I know that eventually I will be adding a small sub and amp and would like to have a nice clean signal straight off the headunit without running one of those PAC things to convert the signal off the factory unit. Anyway, this is just my personal opinion and I thought I'd share. Posting pics tomorrow when install is complete. By the way, I removed the climate control knobs to remove the assembly from behind, versus prying with a flathead or putty knife as others have suggested. Simply pulled hard with my fingers after inserting them in the void left by removing the knobs. Worked flawlessly, no scratches to worry about. I have a 2013 and everything has been the same as far as location and ways to remove the HU in case anyone was wondering. Cheers
Good to know that removing the HU is the same in 2013 as I will be pulling my 2014 head unit to add an amplifier very soon. What I am hoping to do is find a small enough amp to fit behind the head unit. Has anyone done this?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #307
pwint80 is on a distinguished road
Name: pat
pwint80's Tacoma Gallery
in the middle of replacing my stock unit with double din pioneer unit I just removed my stock unit and there was 3 wire connector to the stock unit
anyone know what the 3rd one is for? only has three wire to connector